SunRail

sunshine

66342946.jpg

Conceptual drawing of Lake Mary's SunRail station and surrounding development. (Florida Department of Transportation / November 26, 2011)

Orlando-area cities push for development around SunRail stations

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/seminole/os-sunrail-stations-development-20111126,0,2469757.story

Good update on station plans for the cities along the line, including connection plans for stations not close to shopping and employers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the prange Blossom Express to the Orange Blossom special?

Ok what since does it make in the SAME metro, to have multiple namings for a function of the same thing? What the heck. You dont see the cities who share arenas change their name when the hockey team plays then the basketball team plays and switches the name of the arena.

Why cant there be SunRail Green Line, Orange Line, Red Line, Blue Line ETC?

Or SunRail Original, Sunrail Express West (Orange Blossom Special) and if they want to link another commuter rial in south Orlando, sunrail Beachline Express or Something.

Also I hope at the stations they have informations kiosks indicating when the next train will arrive for both directions, things like the weather, monthly tickets/weekly tickets/daily tickets, etc.. and Hopefully the text is in the white as some of the lynx buses are. it's easier to see at night and is light on eye strain in the day!

I thought Orange Blossom Express was a pretty good name. Having different names and train designs and such could make it more interesting and add to the uniqueness/culture/etc. Orlando is an area that doesn't generally stick with the same, simple names for everything... the important thing is that they make the ticketing processes and equipment all fully compatible and working together to keep things simple for the riders...

I thought Orange Blossom Express was a pretty good name. Having different names and train designs and such could make it more interesting and add to the uniqueness/culture/etc. Orlando is an area that doesn't generally stick with the same, simple names for everything... the important thing is that they make the ticketing processes and equipment all fully compatible and working together to keep things simple for the riders...

I guess it does have a uniqueness. But I mean what city has two different or more commuter trains with different names entering in and out?

I'm not against it at all. Either would work for me.

Keep in mind, commuter rail isn't the same as local rail transit.

In Chicago, a tourist will generally buy a CTA pass and use it for the buses and the "L" which consists of several lines like the orange, red, brown etc.

SunRail and the OBE will be the equivilent of the Metra up there.

I think SunRail is a good name to apply to all commuter lines though since it can be applied regionally and in the future stretch pretty far.

Downtown, we might see names like "Orange Line" or "Red Line" applied to the LYMMO routes as that system grows. Especially if it ever spurs out to areas like Baldwin Park, Pine HIlls or S. Semoran on dedicated lane.

Keep in mind, commuter rail isn't the same as local rail transit.

In Chicago, a tourist will generally buy a CTA pass and use it for the buses and the "L" which consists of several lines like the orange, red, brown etc.

SunRail and the OBE will be the equivilent of the Metra up there.

I think SunRail is a good name to apply to all commuter lines though since it can be applied regionally and in the future stretch pretty far.

Downtown, we might see names like "Orange Line" or "Red Line" applied to the LYMMO routes as that system grows. Especially if it ever spurs out to areas like Baldwin Park, Pine HIlls or S. Semoran on dedicated lane.

I sent them one of those questions. Asking if the lymmos because of expansion should be color coordinated. makes it easier to commute.

I just think it should be sunrail with maybe a letter or particular direction on each train!

They should also have a train to bus transfer for those commuters coming from a different county.

I guess it does have a uniqueness. But I mean what city has two different or more commuter trains with different names entering in and out?

I'm not against it at all. Either would work for me.

Washington, DC has the VRE: Virginia Railway Express serving Northern Virginia and MARC which covers the state of Maryland. Also, New York has NJ Transit and Metro-North. Both systems in NYC have individual names, i.e, Harlem Line, New Haven Line, Midtown Direct, etc...

And the Bay Area is perhaps the biggest klusterf-ck in the nation with BART, Muni, Aladmeda County, Caltrain, Santa Clara Valley Transit. I'm not sure if they fixed it yet, but when I lived there, there was no reciprocity between the systems so you needed a different fare card for each!!!

Edited by mrh3

Washington, DC has the VRE: Virginia Railway Express serving Northern Virginia and MARC which covers the state of Maryland. Also, New York has NJ Transit and Metro-North. Both systems in NYC have individual names, i.e, Harlem Line, New Haven Line, Midtown Direct, etc...

And the Bay Area is perhaps the biggest klusterf-ck in the nation with BART, Muni, Aladmeda County, Caltrain, Santa Clara Valley Transit. I'm not sure if they fixed it yet, but when I lived there, there was no reciprocity between the systems so you needed a different fare card for each!!!

I meant Individual cities. Orlando is a stand alone city in it's Metro. Not extending into another state.

My meaning is like a Denver or a Phoenix or an Oklahoma city. cities like that don't have two commuter rail lines that are differently named!

So the Sun Rail People answered my questions today!

1. Will there be updated information kiosks at the stations while people wait or arrive? Such as what lymmo used to have. Shows a brief map of the Sun Rail system with an indicator of where the trail is and an estimated arrival time.. kiosks should be centrally centered in the play form so multiple users can use them at one time. I don''t know if it is possible but a penta shaped kiosk would be ideal. I suggest a central location for kiosks that way only one person will have their back turned to the tracks or if constructed right, none. Information such as time temperature, weather would be ideal for commuters as well. Yes. Each station will have variable message boards, as well as audible announcements for information such as train arrival times and so forth. Time and temperature could be programmed, as well. Information kiosks will include system maps and announcements. Generally, these kiosks will be centrally located at the center of the platform.

2. Will there be text marquees on the trains or at the stations? If so White Text as some of the Lynx busses and lymmos use would be ideal. since Sun Rail will be bright white, I think it would give off a last effect to spot a SunRail train from a far with both the lightning from the car lights and the white text which at night can be seen clearly or dark during thunderstorms, unlike the orange marquee during abundant sunshine and dark weather. There will be variable message boards on board trains, as well as at stations. The Department has been working closely with the transportation disadvantaged community and visually impaired through both MetroPlan Orlando and the Volusia County Transportation Planning Organization. Yellow or Amber text was selected based on their recommendations for ease of visibility.

3. Will SunRail do a monthly pass program such as Lynx? Will SunRail have Train-To-Bus tranfers such as the system in South Florida? It''ll be a nice thing to have riders get off Sun Rail and allowed to ride Lynx with a tain transfer to their destination. One issue will be costs and that is a great incentive to get people to ride. Yes, SunRail will offer monthly passes at discounted rates that have yet to be determined. And the Florida Department of Transportation is working closely with both LYNX and Votran to ensure a seamless bus-to-train transfer for passengers using the same fare card medium.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SunRail is updating their website, it was just working two days ago now its down again. But the stations are two different. Every staton will look and feel different. I actually dont know if this is a bad thing or a good thing./ Im just not sure until I see better renderings but from the PDF's no way, I don't think they fit into the style of the train.

From what I understand, each city has input into their station. For instance, Winter Park's station will have a craftsman inspired design due to it's location along Central Park. Florida Hospital Station will be incorporated into it's transit oriented development plans. Lynx Central Station will be designed to fit into the existing bus terminal design.

FDOT is providing the basics - a platform, benches, trash cans. After that, it's up to the local municipality.

I disagree that they should look the same - the areas are very diverse and a lot of thought is going into the placemaking opportunities of this train.

Longwood's "Harry Potter" station and future development is probably my favorite. Though I've read that FL Hosp will be designed in such a way that you virtually get off of the train and are steps away from an entrance into the facility. Very nice for older and frail passengers needing to get to a medical appointment on a hot day.

From what I understand, each city has input into their station. For instance, Winter Park's station will have a craftsman inspired design due to it's location along Central Park. Florida Hospital Station will be incorporated into it's transit oriented development plans. Lynx Central Station will be designed to fit into the existing bus terminal design.

I understand now. I did some eprsonal searching and understanding the last few days and I see how each station will fit into the location. that actually excites me. I'm interested on seeing how each city or stop will be different now. The style of the train will indeed fit into the metro area. I completely forgot that the Amtrack stations in which the SuNRail train wil run through will be updated, so essentially its a revamp to compliment the modern look. My most interested station is the Lynx Station because of LCS cool design.

FDOT is providing the basics - a platform, benches, trash cans. After that, it's up to the local municipality.

I disagree that they should look the same - the areas are very diverse and a lot of thought is going into the placemaking opportunities of this train.

Longwood's "Harry Potter" station and future development is probably my favorite. Though I've read that FL Hosp will be designed in such a way that you virtually get off of the train and are steps away from an entrance into the facility. Very nice for older and frail passengers needing to get to a medical appointment on a hot day.

Yeah Like I said, I did some eprsonal searching and understanding the last few days and I see how each station will fit into the location. My most interested station is the Lynx Station because of LCS cool design. I like the look of Lake Mary's station but we get thunderstorms a lot so, I dont know about that. That was my concern. Tri Rail stations have coverings, from any of the renderings I either missed the station coverings or didnt see them,

Where in the world are the construction pics? This is the biggest mass transit construction project in the history of Central Florida, and I haven't found a single construction pic on the sunrail website, only on a couple of local sites. So disappointing.

For a comprehensive SunRail update check out the presentation to the Orlando City council today.

If you're more interested in development in the Urban Core than the rail and want to see some TOD renderings like Creative Village and RIDA - skip to 24:10

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...