SunRail

sunshine

Could light rail eventually run along the same tracks as SunRail?

Back in the '90s when we came within one vote on the county commission (thanks, Clarence Hoenstine!) of getting major federal funding for light rail, it also was using the CSX corridor through the central part of the route (it diverged to pick up Maitland Center and Altamonte Mall on the north and to head southwest from downtown I-Drive and to Disney at the other end.) Whether it's possible for SunRail and a future light rail to use the same corridor is an excellent question - I'll try to see if someone at John Mica's office (which promoted both projects) knows or perhaps someone else on here does.

Edited by spenser1058

Back in the '90s when we came within one vote on the county commission (thanks, Clarence Hoenstine!) of getting major federal funding for light rail, it also was using the CSX corridor through the central part of the route (it diverged to pick up Maitland Center and Altamonte Mall on the north and to head southwest from downtown to head down I-Drive and to Disney at the other end.) Whether it's possible for SunRail and a future light rail to use the same corridor is an excellent question - I'll try to see if someone at John Mica's office (which promoted both projects) knows or perhaps someone else on here does.

It would be awesome if the rail could be used for both. How great would it be to live downtown and take the light rail to Park Avenue for lunch? Or to live in Longwood and take the light rail downtown to catch a Magic game?

I read the article this morning, the four complexes it spoke of was the Lake Mary station, Longwood station, Florida Hospital (with an updated rendering, it's looking more like SteelHouse now and less Baker Barrios), and Central Station downtown.

This may be what I remembered from klstorey's blog:

http://orlandonarrat...rn-section.html

It is referring to the same ones but the OBJ article seems to have a few more updates, I'll compare two later to see if any major differences are there. I don't have time right now at lunch.

Light Rail is planned, along the middle of I-4 from Altamonte through downtown to the I-Drive area, this would compliment SunRail. I'm excited for OBX (or is its OBE?) and I hope that we see transit oriented development along those lines as well. Tavares is already taking the lead there and updating it's entire downtown. I'd love to see OBX run all the way to the Sandlake station, allowing tourist one transfer from their I-Drive hotels to the touristy downtown's on Lake County's Golden Triangle (I know the term isn't used as much anymore but it's still easier than having to list Eustis, Mt Dora, Tavares every time).

While SunRail and OBX are nice I'm holding out to see the rail run through Lake Nona, Avalon Park, and UCF (the line will supposedly run all the way up to the Sanford Airport, it'd be nice to reconnect it to the Sanford Sunrail station but this isn't planned as of now). I just feel that the demographic of east Orlando would be likely to use to rail transit options than those of Lake, Volusia, or Polk County. We still are lacking (if I recall right, I'd love to find out I'm wrong though) an bus alternative for the 4 Corners/South Lake side of town. Transit plans seem to really drop off past Kirkmen (a BRT hybrid is planned from downtown along Hwy 50 to Kirkmen and down to I-Drive)

Orlando Realtors, agents to go on 'pretend' SunRail

This has the potential to be huge. Of all the organizations wedded to the status quo in Florida and the concept of sprawl as our region has developed since WWII, the Realtors are at the front of the pack. If there is a move afoot to change that paradigm (thanks, Poppy Bush!), and especially if they see a way to profit from it, then we are witnessing a major shift. The folks involved with SunRail have done several of these "changing the attitudes" activities and they are to be commended. We hear a lot about Orlando" as a "world-class" city; in my experience, it is what sets us apart from other regions (Tampa Bay comes to mind) and why I think we have the potential to eventually be successful.

Happy to hear this mock ride will include the Phase2 stations. Good thought involved here -- the riders will get off at Kissimmee Station and walk over to the civic center. Kissimmee has long held huge potential for a great downtown with restaurant/retail infill and apartments. The Kissimmee City Centre development proved that even in sprawling Osceola County, there is a need and desire for a more pedestrian friendly, walkable lifestyle. This single development transformed the way people view their own hometown--if that can happen, imagine what's possible over the long-term. This is why I believe this to be one of the most important stations along the entire SunRail line. This is also only 2 blocks away from Kissimmee's new, spectacular lakefront redevelopment project. With strategic and aggresive development, it is perceivable that Kissimmee could become Orlando's "second city" akin to the LA-Long Beach, Boston-Providence, Washington-Arlington, relationship.

With all the different (confirmed and potential) rail projects happening in Central Florida, I wanted to make a schematic of how well-connected Orlando could be by 2014. The drawing isn't very accurate and things will change, but by the looks of it, we could have ourselves the best rail network in Florida (rivaled only by Miami's).

post-25309-0-61619600-1347989321_thumb.j

With all the different (confirmed and potential) rail projects happening in Central Florida, I wanted to make a schematic of how well-connected Orlando could be by 2014. The drawing isn't very accurate and things will change, but by the looks of it, we could have ourselves the best rail network in Florida (rivaled only by Miami's).

Thanks for combining these routes, and reminds me of one of my frustrations with transportation in Orlando. I don't think there is another city of our size that does not have both a north and south running toll-free interstate or spur. I don't know if it is because Orlando is young and didn't benefit by all of the Interstate construction, but it really irks me that the 408 is a toll road. This should have been federally funded and since it hasn't there should be an attempt to compensate for that with a rail alternative running close to that same route connecting Winter Garden through UCF/Research Park. I think this segment is a key missing link to cover Orlando.

alex, this is indeed an impressive map. Thanks for putting in the effort to show how well Orlando can be connected with just a few additional lines. This, of course, begs the question as to how we will get the eastern and western edges of the metro more connected with downtown. I believe there are already existing tracks out to Ocoee,Winter Garden and Clermont that could connect those cities to downtown.

Great map - a few dates to be amended though: SunRail is 2014 and that is just from Debary to Sand Lake...2016 for the outer phases. LYMMO North and South are not funded or in design/build yet unlike the East and West which will be up by 2013. Parramore BRT will also be up in 2013.

And to be a little smug - I'm not sure if I would have supported a east/west federally funded highway - or a SunRail spur for that matter.

Look at the names along the SunRail line: Longwood, Lake Mary, Winter Park, Orlando, Kissimmee

What do we have to the east? Township of Fashion Square, 436sville, Andoveropolis and Waterfordonia.

I think it's fair to say most people that move there had a fair shot at understanding their commute costs versus cities that were stablished along rail which was eventually upgraded to the highway system.

• Like 1

Great map - a few dates to be amended though: SunRail is 2014 and that is just from Debary to Sand Lake...2016 for the outer phases. LYMMO North and South are not funded or in design/build yet unlike the East and West which will be up by 2013. Parramore BRT will also be up in 2013.

Thanks -- updated map attached. I guess I still had the earlier dates for SunRail in mind. I read OBX is being studied since this past spring, but if I remember right they wanted to have it start running around the same time as SunRail.

post-25309-0-88954700-1348063201_thumb.j

This is a great map overall... A Couple other tweaks -

With the Amtrak stops, I think the Orlando stop should be at Orlando Health instead of LCS, and there is no stop at Sand Lake. Also, that train doesn't stop at Sanford, which is AutoTrain only. Really, this could be an additional mode on the map - autotrain - which has a terminal in Sanford and the other in Lorton, VA (Washington, DC).

In the best of all possible worlds, I would like to see Amtrak move to LCS (maybe the block to the north) and AAF extending into the city as well... then we could have a true multimodal point serving destinations in and outside Central Florida.

Yes, well not south of South Street but just north of it close to the empty lot. My first impression was negative when I heard it, but upon further thought, this is probably a good thing since it's a little further away from LYNX and closer to the Performing Arts Center which, as a whole, would be better served by the shorter walk than Magic fans. Of course, City and County workers won't mind it either.

Here's a site plan: http://sunrail.com/uploads/stationdevelopment/station_concepts/Church%20Street_05142012.pdf

Yes, well not south of South Street but just north of it close to the empty lot. My first impression was negative when I heard it, but upon further thought, this is probably a good thing since it's a little further away from LYNX and closer to the Performing Arts Center which, as a whole, would be better served by the shorter walk than Magic fans. Of course, City and County workers won't mind it either.

Here's a site plan: http://sunrail.com/u...et_05142012.pdf

If you zoom in and look south of South Street, there appears to be a platform there. It's also fully under construction. I wish they had more easy to follow and current plans available.

• 3 weeks later...