SunRail

sunshine

SunRail is updating their website, it was just working two days ago now its down again. But the stations are two different. Every staton will look and feel different. I actually dont know if this is a bad thing or a good thing./ Im just not sure until I see better renderings but from the PDF's no way, I don't think they fit into the style of the train.

From what I understand, each city has input into their station. For instance, Winter Park's station will have a craftsman inspired design due to it's location along Central Park. Florida Hospital Station will be incorporated into it's transit oriented development plans. Lynx Central Station will be designed to fit into the existing bus terminal design.

FDOT is providing the basics - a platform, benches, trash cans. After that, it's up to the local municipality.

I disagree that they should look the same - the areas are very diverse and a lot of thought is going into the placemaking opportunities of this train.

Longwood's "Harry Potter" station and future development is probably my favorite. Though I've read that FL Hosp will be designed in such a way that you virtually get off of the train and are steps away from an entrance into the facility. Very nice for older and frail passengers needing to get to a medical appointment on a hot day.

From what I understand, each city has input into their station. For instance, Winter Park's station will have a craftsman inspired design due to it's location along Central Park. Florida Hospital Station will be incorporated into it's transit oriented development plans. Lynx Central Station will be designed to fit into the existing bus terminal design.

I understand now. I did some eprsonal searching and understanding the last few days and I see how each station will fit into the location. that actually excites me. I'm interested on seeing how each city or stop will be different now. The style of the train will indeed fit into the metro area. I completely forgot that the Amtrack stations in which the SuNRail train wil run through will be updated, so essentially its a revamp to compliment the modern look. My most interested station is the Lynx Station because of LCS cool design.

FDOT is providing the basics - a platform, benches, trash cans. After that, it's up to the local municipality.

I disagree that they should look the same - the areas are very diverse and a lot of thought is going into the placemaking opportunities of this train.

Longwood's "Harry Potter" station and future development is probably my favorite. Though I've read that FL Hosp will be designed in such a way that you virtually get off of the train and are steps away from an entrance into the facility. Very nice for older and frail passengers needing to get to a medical appointment on a hot day.

Yeah Like I said, I did some eprsonal searching and understanding the last few days and I see how each station will fit into the location. My most interested station is the Lynx Station because of LCS cool design. I like the look of Lake Mary's station but we get thunderstorms a lot so, I dont know about that. That was my concern. Tri Rail stations have coverings, from any of the renderings I either missed the station coverings or didnt see them,

Where in the world are the construction pics? This is the biggest mass transit construction project in the history of Central Florida, and I haven't found a single construction pic on the sunrail website, only on a couple of local sites. So disappointing.

For a comprehensive SunRail update check out the presentation to the Orlando City council today.

If you're more interested in development in the Urban Core than the rail and want to see some TOD renderings like Creative Village and RIDA - skip to 24:10

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a flexbus project to serve Altamonte, Maitland, Casselberry and Longwood. Also, I'm sure you'll see private shuttle companies either in business for themselves or hired by groups of employers at suburban office parks.

No plans for a spur to Daytona - they've mentioned theyd like one at every opportunity and I guess it could happen down the road.

What are you skeptical about? SunRail Station construction is merely minor in comparison to track alignment.

Skeptical about the start of this commuter rail actually opening in 2014. South of the Amtrak Station is not double tracked. Not one of the Orlando Stations or Winter Park stations have started work. I mean have you seen some of the Stations and their renderings? Maybe the renderings were scaled above what will really be built, but based on everything and progression so far I doubt this thing even opens on time!!

There is a flexbus project to serve Altamonte, Maitland, Casselberry and Longwood. Also, I'm sure you'll see private shuttle companies either in business for themselves or hired by groups of employers at suburban office parks.

No plans for a spur to Daytona - they've mentioned theyd like one at every opportunity and I guess it could happen down the road.

I read in the Daytona news Journal about studies for a spur line to Daytona Beach from Deltona.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2011/12/14/visiting-fdot-chief-hopes-for-sunrail-success.html

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/west-volusia/2012/04/26/work-begins-on-sunrail-station-in-debary.html

^^ These two Articles mention soemthing about a future SunRail extension to Daytona Beach. The Volusia County Planning Board will study it, but FDOT intially wanted to do this and has already breifly started looking into this. Volusia will be on the hook for 800,00 in SunRail pay up, so adding Daytona Beach is a very realistic option as more people will use the train.

• 5 weeks later...

ORLANDO (June 20, 2012) – Orlando International Airport (MCO) may soon be connected to Miami by rail. In discussions held at the June meeting of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, the Board was asked to consider a request by Florida East Coast Industries (FECI) to develop the first passenger rail service from MCO to Miami by 2015.

http://www.allaboardflorida.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/OIA-Moves-Closer-to-Becoming-Intermodal-Gateway.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if someone already posted this article, but here is Transportation Nation's take on SunRail:

Will SunRail Change Central Florida’s Driving Habits?

Mostly information we already knew, but it's interesting that Ustler's project by Florida Hospital should "break ground next month... Ustler is counting on residents for a 250 apartment, $38 million complex he’s building a few blocks from the hospital."

I guess they're talking about this one, originally planned for 2011?

North-of-Dowtown_1.jpg

North-of-Dowtown_3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Orange Blossom Express spur off of SunRail sounds like its going to have the first step towards making that a reality.... The $18.4 million dollar railway improvement project will improve the design speed up to about 65mph and upgrade the track to increase freight capacity along with making commuter rail a possibility, which is a precursor to putting commuter rail trains on that route, should hopefully begin construction first quarter of next year.

Will they be double tracking? Would that be necessary as it is for SunRail?

Can't say I've heard that mentioned, just upgrading the track to handle higher those speeds and upgrading signal crossings throughout the route, etc... the proposed route is 36 miles compared to SunRail's 61 miles and most likely will be (at least initially) operating less frequently then SunRail... they also just selected a group to do the required study for the OBE. I'm also wondering whether the estimated $55 million to build the OBE included this $18 million track improvements and they're only expecting to need another $37 million for the trains and tracks or if it was $55 million plus this $18 million they're putting in now...

Edited by aent

• sunshine changed the title to SunRail