SunRail

sunshine

On the same topic, it occurred to me yesterday- Does anyone know if there are plans to refurbish the exterior of the Orlando Health/Amtrak station? It has potential to be a very attractive building, but the neglect is clear.

OBJ reported a while back that the city is trying to secure funds for a redo, but it seems like a back burner effort. It is a tragedy that they're letting it degrade, though - I hope we're not watching a sequel of the Jaymont Block.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2012/06/05/city-starts-talks-on-revamp-of-amtrak.html

The Jaymont Block is essentially where Chase Plaza sits today. On the site were a number of significant buildings (most notably a Woolworth's Beaux Arts store from the '20's and a McCrory's - not just the store but also the chain's FL headquarters - in Streamline Moderne from the 40's: we have precious few examples of the style left downtown). Attempts were made for years to attempt to preserve them or at least incorporate the facades in what replaced them. Instead, the owners simply let them rot until they were just about too far gone and, shortly after Buddy took office, he just sent Cameron Kuhn and the bulldozers out one night and took out the block. In the process, Buddy came very close to being a one-term mayor but managed to finesse the episode with multiple mea culpas and has generally been more responsive to community opinion since then. It was a tragedy that should never have happened.

Edited by spenser1058

Photo courtesy of SunRail.com:

Church Street Station platform Southbound:

IMGP7142_ss.jpg

I did not realize the CSS Southbound SunRail station is actually located across South street adjacent to the City Hall parking garage. I hope the connection to CSS is made pedestrian friendly in order to faciliate a direct connection.

Photo courtesy of SunRail.com:

Church Street Station platform Southbound:

IMGP7142_ss.jpg

I did not realize the CSS Southbound SunRail station is actually located across South street adjacent to the City Hall parking garage. I hope the connection to CSS is made pedestrian friendly in order to faciliate a direct connection.

I've been trying to figure this out for a month. They have outdated and inaccurate site plans on the Sunrail website. I'm shocked that they can't provide accurate site plans.renderings for each station.

OK - here is an updated plan from the SunRail website...(it wasn't there before recently because I looked then when this came up here): http://sunrail.com/uploads/stationdevelopment/stationbasesheets/ChurchStreetSta_200sc_32x36.pdf

There are two distinctly different platform locations with the westside one (photo in post above) being on the bend behind the City Hall garage and the eastside platform being further north on the other side of South Street...much closer to the Chuch Street Station area.

I specifically said eastside and westside platforms because that shouldn't be confused with northbound and southbound tracks. It is my understanding that there won't be a dedicated northbound or southbound track. The train is a push-pull type that doesn't make a U-Turn or loop at the end of it's run but rather just goes backwards half the time. So as it is, users will not be standing on the same platform each day - but rather rely on electronic signs to tell them whether their train is coming on track 1 or track 2 that day.

This alone isn't a huge deal - people should get pretty good at it pretty fast. However, when you look at the Chuch Street STation platform locations in the link above - if your train is not where you thought it would be, you will have a short bit of a walk ahead of you.

Some thoughts on all of this:

- The new platform location will benefit City Hall and DPAC. You can already use a 2nd floor bridge to get from the City Hall Garage to City Hall - they could continue that to the platform.

- It's tough to say if it's a good strategic move in relation to the other two stations that surround it (LYNX and Orlando Health). It's gotta be almost a 50/50 split so I'm not sure that it does.

- One thing to consider is that LYMMO will serve these stations and maybe more importantly is that we are talkign about a VERY SHORT distance. I don't think people realize how much they walk daily when taking transit even in the most dense of cities.

- However, one thing to consider in a negative light is the experience of getting off the train against the back wall of a parking deck. A much less positive experience than being by Church Street. I doubt a coffee shop or dry cleaners will ever open up there...

- I think my other concern is that even though it is not that hard conceptually, it will just add potentially unnecessary complications to a system that is already brand new to our region and for many people who have never riden rial, let alone commuter rail. I am really interested to one day find out the justification for this. The train should be small enough (4 cars) to not block Church Street even if both platforms were located across from eachother north of South St.

This is definitely an interesting "development" in the SunRail experience. Psychologically, this southbound platform is very removed. As said, located behind a non-pedestrian friendly parking deck is unfriendly. Hopefully some development will come to this area sooner than later. I assume the northbound trains will unload on the north end of South Street--- thereby utilizing the possible retail space of Chuch Street Station itself.

Winter Park yups aren't going to walk in heels to go see Cats at the DPAC from there! You'd be hit by at least a half dozen under I4 panhandlers! Furthermore, if a Winter Parkian comes down to a Magic game, or the Nutcracker is the 'ol choo-choo running back to WP at 1030-11? Nope. Like to see the idea around this.