SunRail

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$800M maglev passenger rail back on track? MetroPlan Orlando to determine if C. Fla. needs proposed 40-mile train route

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2012/12/07/800m-maglev-passenger-rail-back-on.html

Maglev is 40 miles for 800M with new track....Sunrail is 60 miles with existing track and cost more than a billion....sometimes I just dont understand how they come up with the cost of these projects...

I always said SuNRail should have been extended to Polk County.

SunRail will ultimately extend to multiple places throughout the region. The point I always tried to stress to its opponents who argued about not enough transportation from future stops is that unless you have a backbone to build OFF of, you have no alternate options. Then you saw cities start putting together a transportation plan for bus pickup at stations to get people to their crosstown destinations. SunRail will end up having East-West additional lines, and i'm more than confident that the hours and schedule will extend to weekends. 

FDOT had to purchase the track from CSX. Many say that they grossly overpaid, but what other choice was there? They didn't do this in Miami and commuter rail down there runs around CSX' schedule. The silver lining is that CSX took the money and re-invested it into Winter Haven big time. Does that 800M include right-of-way costs? Will they be asking for that to be given to them for free?

SunRail will ultimately extend to multiple places throughout the region. The point I always tried to stress to its opponents who argued about not enough transportation from future stops is that unless you have a backbone to build OFF of, you have no alternate options. Then you saw cities start putting together a transportation plan for bus pickup at stations to get people to their crosstown destinations. SunRail will end up having East-West additional lines, and i'm more than confident that the hours and schedule will extend to weekends. 

This. Especially if they get the Orange Blossom Express line running, this could really be something for the transportation of central florida.

SunRail layover station at Sand Lake, Florida Mall, Airport, Convention Center...at least those were the proposed stops a while back.

it says there are 40 miles of route though. That what you listes is about 15. I do remember a map of the MAGLEV going through Lake Nona , which is why Lake Nona was building a transit center, and through OSceola to the Disney World area. Which from Disney to the Convention center is not that far so it should just loop but it doesnt seem that's what it will do.

Added the updated route to a map I had created. If anyone wants to help contribute let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=202248905793259279092.00047e81901c1dacdd759

Love your map, thank you for this.

By any chance you think you could draw up a route for the proposed Orange Blossom Express ? If its possible. If not this is awesome!