SunRail

sunshine

There still needs to be a stop added around Oak Ridge Rd/ Orange Ave (the old Correct Craft location). The Denny's stop, straight to ORMC, passes a ton of residents in Pine Castle/Oak Ridge/Edgewood/Belle Isle.Not to mention, major Lynx lines run Oak Ridge and Orange right there with routes coming in from FL Mall and Sky Lake. (a lot of bus ridership demographic.) Taking the SunRail and getting the 7 to FL Mall or piggyback to the 8 to Millenia/I-Drive would open a door for channeling this bus area and that demographic. Too bad there isn't a location here.

Absolutely!

A light rail line from UCF to downtown and Winter Park would be very logical. Have it follow 50 and branch off to UCF at Alafaya, and maybe continue down 50 out to Avalon Park Blvd. Would give all the commuters that jam 408 and 50 an option coming into town, not to mention the high usage it would get from students. Students are more susceptible to use public transit like a light rail line, especially if they're going downtown to eat and drink. 

A light rail line from UCF to downtown and Winter Park would be very logical. Have it follow 50 and branch off to UCF at Alafaya, and maybe continue down 50 out to Avalon Park Blvd. Would give all the commuters that jam 408 and 50 an option coming into town, not to mention the high usage it would get from students. Students are more susceptible to use public transit like a light rail line, especially if they're going downtown to eat and drink. 

I would of loved this when I was attending UCF. Driving from Southwest Orlando to UCF 3 times a week definitely gets old. However, do you think there is land for them to build the tracks or are you thinking the run the line right down the middle of the road? 

Also...a new rail line from UCF to downtown Winter Garden would be nice...

In the yeeeear 2525... if man is still aliiive....

Don't know how many here are old enough to get that reference....

They could run it in the middle of the road most likely, a raised platform above the roads would be nice but much more expensive. Underground obviously doesn't work in Florida. A station at UCF could go at the SE corner of the Alafaya University intersection. There is currently an empty lot where a gas station used to be. You could also join the other lot across collegiate if more space was needed and I am sure that old little plaza with the Subway in it wont last long either.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4038+North+Alafaya+Trail,+Florida,+United+States&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e76860001015a9:0x6b7484c5557a9a08,4038+N+Alafaya+Trail,+Orlando,+FL+32826&gl=us&ei=lTiyUcPdNei30gGHkIHQDg&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

Of course this is all just fun speculation...

• Like 1

They could run it in the middle of the road most likely, a raised platform above the roads would be nice but much more expensive. Underground obviously doesn't work in Florida. A station at UCF could go at the SE corner of the Alafaya University intersection. There is currently an empty lot where a gas station used to be. You could also join the other lot across collegiate if more space was needed and I am sure that old little plaza with the Subway in it wont last long either.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4038+North+Alafaya+Trail,+Florida,+United+States&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e76860001015a9:0x6b7484c5557a9a08,4038+N+Alafaya+Trail,+Orlando,+FL+32826&gl=us&ei=lTiyUcPdNei30gGHkIHQDg&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

Of course this is all just fun speculation...

That spot would be good for a station, the developer across the street of the new plaza would probably love to have something right there. I mean I think UCF itself would be open to having a stop on campus given how they embrace a lot of energy cutting things.

Campus would be great. But would area commuters pay for a ucf parking decal and deal with ucf parking scarcity to be able to use the rail? At what point does it become more desirable than just hopping on the 408

Exactly my thoughts. Its a pain to get on campus with a car as it is, and I think an on-campus station would lead deter a lot of the other residents in the area. A neutral location would allow access to all the students, residents, and commuters in the area without excluding anyone. of course other stations along Colonial would be necessary.

Campus would be great. But would area commuters pay for a ucf parking decal and deal with ucf parking scarcity to be able to use the rail? At what point does it become more desirable than just hopping on the 408

In that area of campus, parking is scarce, but I think with the number of jobs in that area, it should warrant more then one stop. The 4th floor of the Student Union long ago was planned to be a train stop (dropped a while ago so I don't know how feasible it is anymore), but its the center of campus, so that would work really well for the 60,000+ people who live/work at/are a student at the university. The North side of campus in Knights Plaza also has an abundance of parking (all the athletic lots don't fill up, infact, Garage F is free on non-event days and does not require a permit, and several of the stadium parking lots are closed, but could be used) and retail that needs more business is located in that area. Also Research Park has its share of empty land to build a commuter station with a lot, along with providing easy access for the 10,000+ employees there.

If the Maglift people can really deliver on their price per mile to their investors -- which I'll believe it when I can see it -- it's about the same price per mile as light rail, only 100% grade seperated. When you factor in land values (or lack of needed) due to going down existing road mediums, it becomes a bargain.

If this works out for OIA, it would really open up Maglift for the N-S Corridor and the 50 line. I imagine a line from downtown, to Baldwin Park, North up 436 to Full Sail, then along University straight into UCF.

That would all hook up nicely to planned Sunrail expansion along 441 & 417 up to the Sanford Airport.

I agreed I wouldn't give any details but a new private bus service for tourist looking to go out of the tourist district is in the works.  Two stops planned for now, one being on I-Drive/Tourist District of course.  Idea reminded me of the old museum bus system.  Contracts aren't signed yet but if all comes together expect an announcement by the time SunRail starts.  This is being viewed as a complementary system to SunRail due to lack of SunRail access for tourists right now. 

Does anyone know if Bombardier has contacted anyone who has applied for operations roles?  I've applied for Passenger Conductor, and for the heck of it Locomotive Engineer, but haven't heard back from either.  I thought they'd be training well before now.  Any help would be appreciated!

It looks like this is only for street and sidewalk improvements and not to the actual station.  :(

Orlando Amtrak station to get $4M in upgrades for SunRail

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2013/06/19/orlando-amtrak-station-to-get-4m-in.html

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/22622268/4m-for-sunrail-upgrades-around-orlando-amtrak-station

Edited by FLheat