SunRail

sunshine

Thanks for posting this - I really enjoy seeing station construction progress updates.

On a side note, those canopies do not look as though they will provide shelter from Orlando's infamous and predictable downpours. 

I've walked by and contemplated that exact point. I think it'll be a fun game of "which way is the wind blowing" during the Summer.

Where are people supposed to go once departing the southbound train?  Into the garage?  I hope they have something in mind to get pedestrians in heels to City Hall and CNL.  Walking in dirt doesn't cut it and going through an "exit" door of the garage doesn't either.

From the renderings on page 85 it looks like a brick sidewalk will connect South streets sidewalk with the platform and a rod iron fence on the backside of the walkway.

And about the Canopies, wouldnt something like the Winter Park station been appropriate for Church street? Plus they look much more effective for weather.

untitled_zps6fb47620.png

And for the Central Station by LYNX something like this...in my dreams.

cahsra-station-render2_zps5139b4d3.jpg

I remember the renderings showing the canopies at LYNX would be the same as the bus terminal roof. I'm still confused over how the Orlando Health station platforms, adjacent to the Amtrak station, will all jive. With Sunrail only offering canopies and benches, I'd guess passengers who have a few minutes will be using the Amtrak restrooms or even hanging out there in the air conditioning

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this will connect to the airport?  I understand that it will likely use the OUC spur and go straight in toward the new station at the future south terminal but how would this work with Kissimmee-Orlando and Orlando-Kissimmee movements?  I have not been able to figure out how this can work.  Thanks.

I wish the Church Street District station would have kept more in character with the historic architecture.  It's one of the few preserved areas in town, and it would have been wonderful to celebrate that.

Agreed. Whereas I love the juxtaposed look of modern glass facades with traditional, historic architecture, there's just not enough in the core to move forward with a modern platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree - a more traditional looking platform would have worked well at CSS.  On the bright side, at least they were cognizant of their surroundings and chose to paint the CSS platform an Earth tone.  I wish we could say the same about the rest of the stations.  White platforms in the Central Florida climate are going to muddy over in no time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very pleased that someone understands that "if you build it, they will come" just won't cut it. Kudos for the various efforts of the SunRail folks (and various other entities) to be not only user-friendly with the rollout but also to be "touchy feely", giving folks more of a chance to start thinking about how they might use it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the blue is the OUC spur.  I know how it will physically get to the airport.  I just can't understand how the Sunrail system will work between Kissimmee and Orlando if there is an airport stop.

How certain are the other spurs to this system?  I'm only aware of two phases of the north/south routes and then talk here and there of spurs to the airport and possibly a link from the airport from a third entity to tie into tri-rail (all of a sudden Tri-rail looks wrong.. forgive that is so) down south.  I'm not even sure how certain phase 2 of the north/south routes is.  It seems like anything with "phase 2" here means be really careful about counting on it.  (I'm looking at you DPCPA)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how this will affect the cost of bringing in OBX.  I'm more excited about OBX than Phase 1 of SunRail.  If only OBX could somehow link to The Villages and Ocala. 

Rail work on west side of Metro Orlando seen as economic boost Public money will upgrade Florida Central Railroad, allowing faster, heavier trains

"The work involves replacing 20 miles of 1920s-vintage track from Eustis to Apopka with new welded rail that might someday accommodate the "Orange Blossom Express," a proposed commuter service to Orlando, said T.J. Fish, executive director of the Lake-Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization. But the work is aimed at attracting companies that prefer shipping by rail.

The project is financed by federal and state funds, along with local tax dollars from Apopka, Eustis, Lake County,Mount DoraOcoee, Orange County, Tavares and Winter Garden." 

Edited by klstorey