• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed.  I hate that people make things for PEOPLE about politics.  There is no partisan divide on things that help all of us.  I don't care if you're rich and never ride a SunRail train.  The pe

Just heard Downtown Kissimmee to Downtown Orlando will be shorter than a 30 minute trip.    That’s fantastic!

https://www.transit.dot.gov/ntd/ntd-data The FTA released their monthly update of transit ridership for August, the first month the southern expansion was open. Sunrail ridership increased 70% fr

Posted Images

Now if they wanted to put a stop right outside the brewery then I would have a reason to go to that part of town.

There is a stop right outside the brewery - the brewery just needs to open their back fence and it'll be right on the platform.

• Like 1

O&M makes sense for a premium transit stop but just not commuter rail. If you add too many stops there's no way people will take it from the burbs into downtown. Each stop adds time. People want to get to work, not transfer unwillingly on to a light rail type system.

If you have gone to major cities, you have probably ridden some sort of rail around the downtown. That city also likely had a commuter rail that you barely saw or rode.

LYMMO will likely be that downtown get-around mode for us. It needs more dedicated lanes but its a start. If someone is really willing to go from Altamonte to SoDo in the first place, a free transfer from SunRail to LYMMO at LYNX Station or Orlando Health won't be a dealbreaker. Plus, it will get them closer to the action (LYMMO stops planned for Orange and Grant and the Market at Southside) than SunRail would (back on the tracks)

• Like 1

If they do utilize LYMMO or some other type of shuttle to SoDo & MaS, they'd probably be better off taking Division rather than Orange. At certain points during the day, Orange is so clogged with traffic walking would almost be faster.

O&M makes sense for a premium transit stop but just not commuter rail. If you add too many stops there's no way people will take it from the burbs into downtown. Each stop adds time. People want to get to work, not transfer unwillingly on to a light rail type system.

If you have gone to major cities, you have probably ridden some sort of rail around the downtown. That city also likely had a commuter rail that you barely saw or rode.

LYMMO will likely be that downtown get-around mode for us. It needs more dedicated lanes but its a start. If someone is really willing to go from Altamonte to SoDo in the first place, a free transfer from SunRail to LYMMO at LYNX Station or Orlando Health won't be a dealbreaker. Plus, it will get them closer to the action (LYMMO stops planned for Orange and Grant and the Market at Southside) than SunRail would (back on the tracks)

This explains it perfectly ... Well said.

These emails were sent out to businesses and churches along the 441 corridor today...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Subject:       Scoping Meeting

US 441 Corridor Study from Downtown Orlando to the City of Eustis

Orange and Lake Counties, Florida

Financial Project Numbers:  429214-1-12-01, 429214-1-12-02, 429214-1-12-03, 429214-1-12-04, 429214-1-12-05, 429214-2-12-01, 429214-2-12-02,

429214-2-12-03, 429214-2-12-04

Dear Stakeholder:

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is conducting the US 441 Corridor Study between Orlando and Eustis in Lake County. This letter is an invitation for your organization to attend a Scoping Meeting for this project.  The details of this meeting are as follows:

Thursday, June 27, 2013

10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

City of Apopka

City Hall, Council Chambers

120 East Main Street, 1st Floor

Apopka, FL  32703

This early scoping meeting is intended to invite comments on the US 441 Corridor Study. Agency and public comments are being sought on the study scope, as well as any factors that the public and agencies believe should be considered in analyzing alternatives for this project, including:

·         Purpose and need;

·         Transportation issues to be addressed;

·         Range of alternatives;

·         Transportation and community impacts and benefits; and,

·         Capital and operation costs.

The US 441 Corridor Study will evaluate options for providing transit service between the major activity centers in the study area and connectivity with the SunRail project, and develop information that will result in a recommended alternative to be adopted by MetroPlan Orlando and the Lake~Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization (LSMPO).  The analysis will assess community consensus and the financial and policy support of the transit improvement alternative determined to best meet the current and future needs of a connector from downtown Orlando to the cities of Tavares, Eustis and Mount Dora in Lake County.

The early scoping process supports FTA planning requirements associated with the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) New Starts program (Rule [49 USC 5309 – New Starts Criteria]). This process is necessary to obtain approval from the FTA so the chosen transit alternative(s) may quickly proceed into the next phase of project development and be eligible for Federal funding. If the preparation of an environmental impact statement (EIS) is warranted following the completion of the US 441 Corridor Study, a notice of intent to prepare an EIS will be published.

This formal scoping meeting is necessary to aid the Department (FDOT) in project development and to increase inter-agency awareness of concerns. An agenda and project location map are attached to assist you in preparing for this meeting and outlining potential issues.  If you have any questions prior to the meeting, please contact Michael Carragher, P.E., Consultant Project Manager in writing at 225 East Robinson Street, Suite 300, Orlando, Florida, 32801, by telephone at (407) 839-4006, or by email at [email protected].

Your organization’s participation and cooperation in this preliminary issues identification effort is encouraged.  Please contact Ginger Corless, Public Involvement Coordinator at (407) 657-9210 or by email at [email protected] by June 20, 2013 if your organization is planning to attend this meeting.

Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability or family status.  Persons who require special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or persons who require translation services, free of charge, should contact: Ginger Corless, Public Involvement Coordinator, at (407) 657-9210 or by email at [email protected] at least (7) seven days prior to the meeting.

Sincerely,

John Zielinski

FDOT Project Manager                                                 

Downtown Steve, on 04 Jun 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

This explains it perfectly ... Well said.

Well, not to belabor the point but......

Let's keep in mind here that we're only talking about one stop, not one on every block. What would that add to a morning commute.... 5 minutes?

And.... all those apartments/condos at SoDo & all the potential new ones close by, with all those residents who could really utilize the system?

I think that they probably didn't include a stop there in order to keep the initial cost down & that we'll likely see one there before too long.

:thumbsup:

What do you guys think will be the largest development around the stops? I know Florida Hospital has an expansive plans, but do you think any of the stops will be "completely" changed from what it once was. For instance maybe the Rida development will be a premier shopping district and finally bring retail to downtown. 

What do you guys think will be the largest development around the stops? I know Florida Hospital has an expansive plans, but do you think any of the stops will be "completely" changed from what it once was. For instance maybe the Rida development will be a premier shopping district and finally bring retail to downtown.

Re: Rida, I know they have some retail planned for that development, but how "premier" it will be is anybody's guess.

I said a few posts back that I think SoDo would be a prime spot to reap the benefits of being right smack dab on the rail line. The tracks run so close to the back of Target, they could literally build an entrance there where passengers could step off the train & be inside the store.

And of course there's all that land to the north & south just sitting there waiting to be turned into anything imaginable.

Can't really imagine much going on farther south round Oak Ridge, though.

Maybe a couple of new restaurants?

A convenience store posibly?

When McDonald's remodels their south orange ave./SunRail location upcoming, you can ride it allllllllllll the way down and get yo' self a happy meal. hahahahahah

Or get a grand slam at Denny's. hahahahahah

What makes me ask the question in the wrong category... Why isn't there a Wawa on the corner of Sand Lake and Orange ave in the old chevron location, adjacent to the mighty oak trees and Wendy's? 

There still needs to be a stop added around Oak Ridge Rd/ Orange Ave (the old Correct Craft location). The Denny's stop, straight to ORMC, passes a ton of residents in Pine Castle/Oak Ridge/Edgewood/Belle Isle.Not to mention, major Lynx lines run Oak Ridge and Orange right there with routes coming in from FL Mall and Sky Lake. (a lot of bus ridership demographic.) Taking the SunRail and getting the 7 to FL Mall or piggyback to the 8 to Millenia/I-Drive would open a door for channeling this bus area and that demographic. Too bad there isn't a location here.

Absolutely!

They need to rezone that entire area and come up with a guideline to make it urban and walkable, but I belive that is Tuft..not Orlando....

Also...a new rail line from UCF to downtown Winter Garden would be nice...

A light rail line from UCF to downtown and Winter Park would be very logical. Have it follow 50 and branch off to UCF at Alafaya, and maybe continue down 50 out to Avalon Park Blvd. Would give all the commuters that jam 408 and 50 an option coming into town, not to mention the high usage it would get from students. Students are more susceptible to use public transit like a light rail line, especially if they're going downtown to eat and drink. 

A light rail line from UCF to downtown and Winter Park would be very logical. Have it follow 50 and branch off to UCF at Alafaya, and maybe continue down 50 out to Avalon Park Blvd. Would give all the commuters that jam 408 and 50 an option coming into town, not to mention the high usage it would get from students. Students are more susceptible to use public transit like a light rail line, especially if they're going downtown to eat and drink. 

I would of loved this when I was attending UCF. Driving from Southwest Orlando to UCF 3 times a week definitely gets old. However, do you think there is land for them to build the tracks or are you thinking the run the line right down the middle of the road? 

Also...a new rail line from UCF to downtown Winter Garden would be nice...

In the yeeeear 2525... if man is still aliiive....

Don't know how many here are old enough to get that reference....

They could run it in the middle of the road most likely, a raised platform above the roads would be nice but much more expensive. Underground obviously doesn't work in Florida. A station at UCF could go at the SE corner of the Alafaya University intersection. There is currently an empty lot where a gas station used to be. You could also join the other lot across collegiate if more space was needed and I am sure that old little plaza with the Subway in it wont last long either.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4038+North+Alafaya+Trail,+Florida,+United+States&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e76860001015a9:0x6b7484c5557a9a08,4038+N+Alafaya+Trail,+Orlando,+FL+32826&gl=us&ei=lTiyUcPdNei30gGHkIHQDg&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

Of course this is all just fun speculation...

• Like 1

They could run it in the middle of the road most likely, a raised platform above the roads would be nice but much more expensive. Underground obviously doesn't work in Florida. A station at UCF could go at the SE corner of the Alafaya University intersection. There is currently an empty lot where a gas station used to be. You could also join the other lot across collegiate if more space was needed and I am sure that old little plaza with the Subway in it wont last long either.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4038+North+Alafaya+Trail,+Florida,+United+States&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e76860001015a9:0x6b7484c5557a9a08,4038+N+Alafaya+Trail,+Orlando,+FL+32826&gl=us&ei=lTiyUcPdNei30gGHkIHQDg&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

Of course this is all just fun speculation...

That spot would be good for a station, the developer across the street of the new plaza would probably love to have something right there. I mean I think UCF itself would be open to having a stop on campus given how they embrace a lot of energy cutting things.

Campus would be great. But would area commuters pay for a ucf parking decal and deal with ucf parking scarcity to be able to use the rail? At what point does it become more desirable than just hopping on the 408

Campus would be great. But would area commuters pay for a ucf parking decal and deal with ucf parking scarcity to be able to use the rail? At what point does it become more desirable than just hopping on the 408

Exactly my thoughts. Its a pain to get on campus with a car as it is, and I think an on-campus station would lead deter a lot of the other residents in the area. A neutral location would allow access to all the students, residents, and commuters in the area without excluding anyone. of course other stations along Colonial would be necessary.

In that area of campus, parking is scarce, but I think with the number of jobs in that area, it should warrant more then one stop. The 4th floor of the Student Union long ago was planned to be a train stop (dropped a while ago so I don't know how feasible it is anymore), but its the center of campus, so that would work really well for the 60,000+ people who live/work at/are a student at the university. The North side of campus in Knights Plaza also has an abundance of parking (all the athletic lots don't fill up, infact, Garage F is free on non-event days and does not require a permit, and several of the stadium parking lots are closed, but could be used) and retail that needs more business is located in that area. Also Research Park has its share of empty land to build a commuter station with a lot, along with providing easy access for the 10,000+ employees there.

If the Maglift people can really deliver on their price per mile to their investors -- which I'll believe it when I can see it -- it's about the same price per mile as light rail, only 100% grade seperated. When you factor in land values (or lack of needed) due to going down existing road mediums, it becomes a bargain.

If this works out for OIA, it would really open up Maglift for the N-S Corridor and the 50 line. I imagine a line from downtown, to Baldwin Park, North up 436 to Full Sail, then along University straight into UCF.

That would all hook up nicely to planned Sunrail expansion along 441 & 417 up to the Sanford Airport.

• sunshine changed the title to SunRail