SunRail

sunshine

For anyone interested in the potential northwest rail line ("Orange Blossom Express") - here is the website to keep up with: http://us441corridor.com/

Also, I attended the SunRail Celebration in Winter Park yesterday - great time and the seats and tables are very comfortable. Glad I don't have to commute on I4 but if I did, this would be an easy decision for me.

Edited by Jernigan

I was in Winter Park too.  I live in Colonialtown and I'm hoping to be able to take this to Lake Mary everyday.  I know I'm going in the other direction commuting but once I-4 gets torn up I think this will be an amazing alternative as long as its executed properly.  That said, they already butchered the execution of the mascot.  Yeesh!

I0LQKchl.jpgLRu09S4l.jpg

• Like 1

So, when a Magic game gets out at 945/10pm, have both and north and south bound train sitting there waiting at church street. Instant ridership. If they take it down or up to get to the game, how the heck do they get home? Need to run it for weekend Magic games. Run it an hour before tip-off as a one shot deal, and one shot back.

Everyone from the north would take it versus I4 and fighting the garages. It could be a pretty cool marketing campaign at games/ concerts/ hockey/ soccer/ bowl games.

As far as the holiday schedule and weekend are concerned. Need to adjust with what's going on. You have 65,000 going to a bowl game at 1pm on new years day, run the train 1-up, 1-down. Fare X from SunRail versus citrus bowl parking. I think it should run on July 4th for Lake Eola fireworks also. Think of the marketing for ridership...

• Like 2

It doesn't work like that though. It's funded to be a public good - mainly in relieving congestion on I4 during rush hour. It's not a social service like transit is often thought of (hence it doesn't serve 3rd shift workers) and it certainly isn't there for the Magic.

The idea of a train car full of fans wearing "Orlando" is a nice one and I think all of the funding municipalities would agree, but they also have a responsibility. We're talking about a lot of money that even a full train wouldn't cover.

On a positive note - the train including locomotive will be parked at Church Street station on Saturday during the Mayors State of Downtown address at Amway.

It doesn't work like that though. It's funded to be a public good - mainly in relieving congestion on I4 during rush hour. It's not a social service like transit is often thought of (hence it doesn't serve 3rd shift workers) and it certainly isn't there for the Magic.

The idea of a train car full of fans wearing "Orlando" is a nice one and I think all of the funding municipalities would agree, but they also have a responsibility. We're talking about a lot of money that even a full train wouldn't cover.

On a positive note - the train including locomotive will be parked at Church Street station on Saturday during the Mayors State of Downtown address at Amway.

I'm curious to hear how much an extra train trip would cost...I actually don't think a train trip (technically two because you would want one in each direction) will cost that much. The operations center would already be staffed because they handle all dispatch on the lines and the stations don't have any additional cost because there is no staffing at the station. So we are talking train milage cost and staffing for the train. I have asked and they tell me they are still working on determining the exact cost.

Also, while I agree it's not a priority for SunRail to take people to a magic game (or any other event for that matter). I think it should be looked at as a marketing opportunity. The person who lives in Lake Mary and works downtown may not be willing to give up their car on day one but convince them how easy it is by them riding it to the magic game and they will be more likely to try it for the office.

Oops my last post should have said THURSDAY (tomorrow) for the train on display.

I agree Matt - knowing the true cost of event trains is key so any potential groups that would like to find it would know how much is needed. I'd also be cool with a 5-7 dollar surcharge on top of the base fare for riders to help bridge the gap and think it would still be a popular service. I am in Downtown South and would consider paying to get dropped off right at Church Street over taking LYNX

It probably would not be cheap. The train would generally be shut down by the time the magic games start and finish. Sunrail would need an extra shift to accommodate everyone. 

Extra shift of who? Train conductors? 

Also...I am assuming that a special event train would not run after midnight...because that is currently not doable with the CSX contract.

Oops my last post should have said THURSDAY (tomorrow) for the train on display.

I agree Matt - knowing the true cost of event trains is key so any potential groups that would like to find it would know how much is needed. I'd also be cool with a 5-7 dollar surcharge on top of the base fare for riders to help bridge the gap and think it would still be a popular service. I am in Downtown South and would consider paying to get dropped off right at Church Street over taking LYNX

Downtown South... think about it, the only station "ORMC Station to Church St. Station" ain't worth it. (2 mile ride and 5 minute ride?)

Take the Free Lymmo or the 7,11,18 up there; And a $10 cab home. Done.

Well at least there are several new alternative routes of getting there, all resulting in cab rides home however. :-)

Edited by jgardnerucf

• 2 weeks later...

Ride SunRail's flicker account has been updated with some pretty cool construction progress images.  The images are All Rights Reserved so I cannot upload them here but feel free to take a look:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ridesunrail/with/10047555645/

Particularly interesting are the images of Longwood Station, which has more ornate architectural features than the other stations.  Sand Lake Station also appears to have some interesting artwork.

Edited by prahaboheme

Was at Orlando Brewing last week and was taken aback at how close the platforms are to the brewery. Separated by a fence though. If this could be opened up it would be a lot of exposure for OB and maybe even business. Who wouldn't love to stop by for a cold beer after a long day and catch the next train after

• Like 1

Next opportunity to view/go inside trains:

Next Saturday and Sunday (Nov 2-3) from 10-4 at LYNX Central Station. They will be shuttling people back and forth from the Fall Fiesta at Lake Eola but if you wanted to avoid the crowd and just see the train just park closer to LCS.

• 2 weeks later...