• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed.  I hate that people make things for PEOPLE about politics.  There is no partisan divide on things that help all of us.  I don't care if you're rich and never ride a SunRail train.  The pe

Just heard Downtown Kissimmee to Downtown Orlando will be shorter than a 30 minute trip.    That’s fantastic!

https://www.transit.dot.gov/ntd/ntd-data The FTA released their monthly update of transit ridership for August, the first month the southern expansion was open. Sunrail ridership increased 70% fr

Posted Images

I agreed I wouldn't give any details but a new private bus service for tourist looking to go out of the tourist district is in the works.  Two stops planned for now, one being on I-Drive/Tourist District of course.  Idea reminded me of the old museum bus system.  Contracts aren't signed yet but if all comes together expect an announcement by the time SunRail starts.  This is being viewed as a complementary system to SunRail due to lack of SunRail access for tourists right now. 

Does anyone know if Bombardier has contacted anyone who has applied for operations roles?  I've applied for Passenger Conductor, and for the heck of it Locomotive Engineer, but haven't heard back from either.  I thought they'd be training well before now.  Any help would be appreciated!

It looks like this is only for street and sidewalk improvements and not to the actual station.  :(

Orlando Amtrak station to get $4M in upgrades for SunRail

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2013/06/19/orlando-amtrak-station-to-get-4m-in.html

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/22622268/4m-for-sunrail-upgrades-around-orlando-amtrak-station

Edited by FLheat

Thanks for posting this - I really enjoy seeing station construction progress updates.

On a side note, those canopies do not look as though they will provide shelter from Orlando's infamous and predictable downpours. 

I've walked by and contemplated that exact point. I think it'll be a fun game of "which way is the wind blowing" during the Summer.

Where are people supposed to go once departing the southbound train?  Into the garage?  I hope they have something in mind to get pedestrians in heels to City Hall and CNL.  Walking in dirt doesn't cut it and going through an "exit" door of the garage doesn't either.

From the renderings on page 85 it looks like a brick sidewalk will connect South streets sidewalk with the platform and a rod iron fence on the backside of the walkway.

And about the Canopies, wouldnt something like the Winter Park station been appropriate for Church street? Plus they look much more effective for weather.

untitled_zps6fb47620.png

And for the Central Station by LYNX something like this...in my dreams.

cahsra-station-render2_zps5139b4d3.jpg

I remember the renderings showing the canopies at LYNX would be the same as the bus terminal roof. I'm still confused over how the Orlando Health station platforms, adjacent to the Amtrak station, will all jive. With Sunrail only offering canopies and benches, I'd guess passengers who have a few minutes will be using the Amtrak restrooms or even hanging out there in the air conditioning

Does anyone have any thoughts about how this will connect to the airport?  I understand that it will likely use the OUC spur and go straight in toward the new station at the future south terminal but how would this work with Kissimmee-Orlando and Orlando-Kissimmee movements?  I have not been able to figure out how this can work.  Thanks.

I wish the Church Street District station would have kept more in character with the historic architecture.  It's one of the few preserved areas in town, and it would have been wonderful to celebrate that.

Agreed. Whereas I love the juxtaposed look of modern glass facades with traditional, historic architecture, there's just not enough in the core to move forward with a modern platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree - a more traditional looking platform would have worked well at CSS.  On the bright side, at least they were cognizant of their surroundings and chose to paint the CSS platform an Earth tone.  I wish we could say the same about the rest of the stations.  White platforms in the Central Florida climate are going to muddy over in no time.

• sunshine changed the title to SunRail