SunRail

sunshine

^^ Or like some other systems I've ridden have an every-other train that goes through the downtown core but at some point veers onto another destination. It has the benefit of having more trains to take people out or into the core between peak stations while allowing uninterrupted, though less frequent, service at more points without running a mostly empty unit between two or three stations. You just have to pick your train carefully, as I haven't from time to time. Colors do help.

I thought about that.  In that scenario, unless they increased the number of trains, I don't think they would be able to pay for the every-other-train scenario.

I know these articles are old but I cannot find anything recent. I saw this train crossing the bridge on 17-92 in winter park near Maitland today. Anyone know why its around?

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2006-aug-central-florida-commuter-rail-deal-may-help-jacksonville

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2007-mar-commuter-rail-demonstration-visits-jacksonville

Edited by floridalgr

I know these articles are old but I cannot find anything recent. I saw this train crossing the bridge on 17-92 in winter park near Maitland today. Anyone know why its around?

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2006-aug-central-florida-commuter-rail-deal-may-help-jacksonville

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2007-mar-commuter-rail-demonstration-visits-jacksonville

Saw it on my way to work today.  A friend of mine said they're having problems with the locos.  I know they only have 4 of them.  At least that's what they told me when I went to Winter Park

Edited by codypet

Saw it on my way to work today.  A friend of mine said they're having problems with the locos.  I know they only have 4 of them.  At least that's what they told me when I went to Winter Park

how many are they supposed to have ultimately?  I'm thinking 8 on this schedule.

7-10 pulling 2 cars each

Free rides will be offered May 1-15 during the first two weeks of service. We are a month out now.

Sadly that's a delay.  Free rides were supposed to be mid-April, now pushed back to May.

So on my bike ride home from trivia I took a pic of myself in front of a Sunrail sign posted it to facebook and at the urging of my intern I actually posted #sunrailselfie.  Now it seems silly and contrived but it might actually be a good way to get people aware of Sunrail in the next month.  Anyone want to try to help get #sunrailselfie to take off with me?

Edited by codypet

I went to the State of Downtown event this morning at the Church St. Sunrail station.  They had a train there that you could get onto. 

Well, not to split hairs, but, the Church Street Sunrail station should really be called South Street Station, because the northbound stop is really close to South Street; it's past the Presidential Ballroom and fronts the lot to the south of it.  It makes sense now, because the southbound stop is on the south side of South Street.

I would create an entrance to the City Commons garage closest to the southbound stop so people could access it from the closest point to the tracks.  Then you could access the stairs or elevator and get to the skywalk level.

"Though the traditional way of commuting is living in the suburbs and driving downtown for work, SunRail offers a chance at a “reverse commute.” Downtown Orlando is quickly becoming a great place to live, but companies that want to expand into our area may want to capitalize on lower commercial real estate leasing rates in the suburbs. With SunRail, companies can have their offices in places like Lake Mary or Longwood, and the young talent can live in a vibrant downtown with a train station just steps away for their commute."

There's a building in Maitland that jumped in early...and...some office space in the historic Longwood area where some Victorian homes are now office space. Isn't that it? I'm not sure if the OhBJ is referencing future buildings to lease out of or existing areas like Heathrow where for the price of a lease plus a shuttle you may get a few takers?

I'm a believer that this thing is going to transform all of the suburban areas with stations but the OBJ is just killing me with their musings

"Though the traditional way of commuting is living in the suburbs and driving downtown for work, SunRail offers a chance at a “reverse commute.” Downtown Orlando is quickly becoming a great place to live, but companies that want to expand into our area may want to capitalize on lower commercial real estate leasing rates in the suburbs. With SunRail, companies can have their offices in places like Lake Mary or Longwood, and the young talent can live in a vibrant downtown with a train station just steps away for their commute."

There's a building in Maitland that jumped in early...and...some office space in the historic Longwood area where some Victorian homes are now office space. Isn't that it? I'm not sure if the OhBJ is referencing future buildings to lease out of or existing areas like Heathrow where for the price of a lease plus a shuttle you may get a few takers?

I'm a believer that this thing is going to transform all of the suburban areas with stations but the OBJ is just killing me with their musings

As a reverse commuter with offices on John Young and Primera, neither bode very well for me and reverse commuting.  I live by Leu Gardens.

I took a sweet ride from Church Street to Winter Park and back this morning.  I had time to grab food and coffee and Palmano's.  It was 16 minutes each way.  The Mayor sat two seats behind me on the way back.  Many more people were on my return ride, which left Winter Park at 8:36.  My 7:55 out of Church Street had folks on the train but not nearly as many as the return.

I rode from Church Street to Winter Park this morning, leaving at 8:55. The train was comfortable full. and had quite a bit of media onboard. My partner was going to ride with me for fun, but would have to wait 1hr+ for a return trip as we were leaving the peak travel time.