SunRail

sunshine

I tried to get on the 11:25am train from Church to WP. It was over 30 minutes late.  When it showed, once most of the people at the station boarded, we couldn't get on.  Apparently the entire system was backed up for 30 minutes because there were so many people on it.  There were a few homeless people waiting at the station as well.

Until they start charging for it in two weeks, I don't think they'll be able to give it a proper and accurate shakedown.  There are too many "joy-riders."

However, one of our employees got on at Debary in the 7 o'clock hour and said that it got more full every stop that they passed and that the ride was great and it worked well.  So, as for actual commuting in the AM, it worked great.

Edited by jrs2

I tried to get on the 11:25am train from Church to WP. It was over 30 minutes late.  When it showed, once most of the people at the station boarded, we couldn't get on.  Apparently the entire system was backed up for 30 minutes because there were so many people on it.  There were a few homeless people waiting at the station as well.

Until they start charging for it in two weeks, I don't think they'll be able to give it a proper and accurate shakedown.  There are too many "joy-riders."

However, one of our employees got on at Debary in the 7 o'clock hour and said that it got more full every stop that they passed and that the ride was great and it worked well.  So, as for actual commuting in the AM, it worked great.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that demand overwhelmed capacity. And if you're going to have a problem on Day 1, that's the only one you want -- too much demand for your service. Based on the media coverage and public reaction, SunRail's debut was a tremendous success. While the crowds will drop after the free ridership period, I would expect that this level of demand will ensure that SunRail meets or exceeds its intiail ridership projections. And if that's the case, I think we'll see efforts to expand the schedule sooner rather than later.

Today's crowds were also a nice karmic "screw you" to the naysayers who kept insisting that no one in Central Florida wants an alternative to Interstate 4. Sure, it isn't perfect. But it's a huge leap in developing a modern, comprehensive and effective transit system for our community.

• Like 1

I was surprised to overhear a conversation between two FDOT staff members that there wasn't an official count for today. I would also have liked to see the "Ambassadors" be more engaging at the stops, greeting people, demonstrating the fare cards and tapping on and off.

I rode northbound 8:45a Sand Lake up to DeBary. Sand Lake was great; only a dozen or two people, FOX35 crew, WESH crew, and Sentinel web crew. David Martin did live shots the whole way up. Sat upstairs, nice and comfortable!   But, man alive, that word got out quick for DeBary back southbound; it was slammed. Standing room only! Also, the school that brought the whole 3rd grade couldn't get on that last of the morning runs.    It was nice to talk to a Doctor that got on at Sand Lake lives in Belle Isle works at Florida Hospital. Really surprised Jon Buskeder or David Martin or the gal from Wesh didn't convo with him, for he was the ONLY one using it for actual travel to job purposes. Those new tracks are nice and smooth versus the old experiences on the $10 Amtrak going to Ybor.     There was no tap on tap off obviously.    It was fun!

So I decided after work to get on Northbound to Winter Park for dinner.  I get there at 7:30pm.   10 mins goes by, no train.  Then the announcer says that they have a train enroute to the Sunrail station at Sand Lake and that there'd be a 45 min delay.  There was a problem with 103 and it passed us empty about 8:10pm.  102 picked the Northbound people up at 8:25pm.  I decided to take the 8:29 Southbound.  That was packed!  Either way, my bike and I had a pleasant ride.  I look forward to reverse commuting to work on Wed on Sunrail.

Oh! btw it worked. https://twitter.com/search?q=sunrailselfie&src=typd

Pretty disappointing that the LYNX SunRail station platforms has no "no smoking" signs and no recycle bins. If this is a greener, healthier, higher level of service, then it should play the part in all aspects. Especially in our DTO stations.

So I took the train home last night.  Here's my 4 big takeaways:

1) Going to be interesting when free ridership ends.  So many people riding just for fun, even now a week later.

2) Never got a straight answer about what was happening at the Sand Lake station.  You board Northbound from the Southbound side?  There's no switchover at the end of the line?  Then somehow you're back on the correct side of the tracks?  Is there a junction somewhere I missed?

3) Why are the display boards being used so infrequently?  It should CONSTANTLY be saying when the next train is.  Entirely inexcusable.

4) Tied into number 3, why is there no live tracking via the web/mobile something and/or why is it not on Google Maps yet.  Entirely inexcusable.

• Like 1

3 and 4 are huge and I'm pretty shocked about those two.  However, I do expect these will be fixed ASAP.  It should be on Google Maps but it should also have a separate state of the art app just in general for tracking, schedules, etc...

So I took the train home last night.  Here's my 4 big takeaways:

1) Going to be interesting when free ridership ends.  So many people riding just for fun, even now a week later.

2) Never got a straight answer about what was happening at the Sand Lake station.  You board Northbound from the Southbound side?  There's no switchover at the end of the line?  Then somehow you're back on the correct side of the tracks?  Is there a junction somewhere I missed?

3) Why are the display boards being used so infrequently?  It should CONSTANTLY be saying when the next train is.  Entirely inexcusable.

4) Tied into number 3, why is there no live tracking via the web/mobile something and/or why is it not on Google Maps yet.  Entirely inexcusable.

For #4, I looked into this a bit. I was looking at the business opportunity to create a local transit mobile app and web application, and I was turned off to doing it for a couple reasons:

1) "Transit App" is quite good, they just need access to the data and can start serving Orlando immediately

2) SunRail already commissioned a study on this at USF, over a year ago, and the study concluded that they need to provide data in a specific format to Google, Transit App, etc, as well as provide a developer portal for third party developers such as myself to jump on the opportunity to provide this service to Central Florida 

So my assumption was that the wheels are turning on this and it won't be long before #4 is fixed.

Here's the study:

http://www.locationaware.usf.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/SunRail-Electronic-Trip-Planning-Study-Final-Report.pdf

And some relevant recommendations from FSU:

sunrail-action-plan.png

I didn't dig much deeper than this, and I was unable to find any sort of information about a SunRail developer portal.

In any case, this is a missed opportunity. Let's hope it is resolved quickly.

• Like 1

The Sentinel wrote, earlier this week, that the data they had given Google had included weekends so they had to fix that and re-send and now it's in Google's queue.

Of course that will only help with trip planning based on the schedule. I completely agree that the real time info. is ideal. Apparently it's harder than we'd think. The Lymmo kiosks only have to worry about 1 route and they aren't always right.

You're right, they're working with google on their update.  I agree with them that the boards should be reflecting when the trains are approaching.  I've talked with them about that and they said they're working on it.  About the Sand Lake Station, there's a crossover just north of the station so you switch over before you hit the access road to the rail yard.  I'm surprised the crossover just didn't drop everyone off on the Northbound station and limited the access to the Southbound platform until they start going to Meadow woods.  I'm working with my office park to provide a work shuttle to JYP and Sand Lake.  Seems like our office park thought of this as an afterthought.  They're working on it.  But if our office park is like others, ridership shouldn't fall too much.  When I rode it they had added a 3rd coach at rush hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took advantage of free transportation last Friday. Took the Grapefruit Lymmo to Church St Station, sunrail to park ave for lunch and back, then grapefruit to Shari for happy hour. But have to agree that sunrail was never on time, lack of handles to hold when standing, and passengers bumping into each other during entrance and exit. And think they should get rid of the useless tables and just arrange the seats along the sides. That would allow for more passengers and might improve ingress and egress.

They've been coming out the next day or in the evenings. That was for estimates during the free period (no clue how they estimated). I guess we will soon know how long it takes to get the "tap count."

4300 rides was the goal for day 1. That would be 2150 round trip commuters.

They've been coming out the next day or in the evenings. That was for estimates during the free period (no clue how they estimated). I guess we will soon know how long it takes to get the "tap count."

4300 rides was the goal for day 1. That would be 2150 round trip commuters.

usually the following day...lately around 10:30am...but with the crash today I wouldn't be surprised if it's later. We'll post as soon as we get!

Did anyone else have an insanely hard time getting their SunCard registered?

Yes...working on a post about how to do it..essentially...1) create your account 2)"add balance protection" (don't try to activate if you purchased from a TVM or manage your SunCard) 3) if you want to load go to manage suncards and "Add product"

Matt - did they disclose their counting methodology?

Conductors count is what I think they told me a while back. And I know everyone here gets it but it is boardings and not passengers...TV stations keep saying XXX people rode the train...not true. :)