SunRail

sunshine

I'm not saying that it NEEDS to run on weekends I understand the logic in that.  I don't even this it had to run on Memorial day since it was pretty obvious that everyone would head to the beach.  But July 4th?  The whole city is going to want to flock to downtown Orlando and that would have been a good opportunity for Sunrail to shine.  They're not too terribly limited on their tracks because they've been tossing extra trains as needed.  Its a Friday so the argument could have been made that they had the tracks available anyway.  

I'm not saying that it NEEDS to run on weekends I understand the logic in that.  I don't even this it had to run on Memorial day since it was pretty obvious that everyone would head to the beach.  But July 4th?  The whole city is going to want to flock to downtown Orlando and that would have been a good opportunity for Sunrail to shine.  They're not too terribly limited on their tracks because they've been tossing extra trains as needed.  Its a Friday so the argument could have been made that they had the tracks available anyway.  

The downside to this is the limited capacity of the trains. I'd hate to live in say, Lake Mary, and to have to wait 3 or 4 trains to get home because of the popularity of the system. That'd be killer.

That was my experience after 4th of July fireworks a few years ago in Chicago. The CTA did their best but it was miserable. What was worse is that everyone watches from a pier so it was congested there too. At least with Lake Eola you could stage exits and even buses on all 4 sides.

Then again, I'm ok with Seminole County sticking to uptown Altamonte and leaving me more leg room at lake Eola.

Instead of commuter rail, consider it "I4 rush hour alternate" rail until it becomes something more. Even the hospitals with stations have 7 day operations and around the clock. It's unfortunately not funded to be everyone's best friend and never let anyone tell you it's a social service or handout. This is completely built as a traffic solution. For now.

• Like 1

^^

fascinating.  It should run on July 4.

^^

FYI- Um, weren't they supposed to double track the entire system, because they didn't.

I thought it had been totally double tracked until I drove by Maitland last week and saw single track there.  I wonder how many other areas are not double tracked.

Just 2 areas - that spot in Maitland and the St Johns river bridge. Maitland was for a lack of land (same reason Church St station is split) and the bridge was cost.

is that going to be a problem for operational times, etc?

I remember when Trirail underwent a double tracking program ten years ago when they got some $$$ to allow more frequent service times.

As it stands, I have a shiny SunCard that I haven't even been able to use yet.  I work and live well outside the line and work during the week.  I'd have to take a day off to ride it, which is a bit much, even for a fan.  However, the next day I take off to run some errands or whatever, I will be riding.  OR maybe I'll get jury duty and use that as an excuse to park at a random station and ride it downtown?

This has been corrected.  We went to dinner tonight on Park Ave and took the train from Sand Lake & back. 

I really enjoyed it.  It was much busier than I thought it might be.  The WP station had a ton of people, as did the Church St. station (HA!) both directions.  I was quite impressed.

Edited by HankStrong

• 3 weeks later...

^^

that statement by Nelson about connecting all the way to Miami makes no sense for CRT.

I don't quite get how those 6 DMU's were originally intended for CFLA if CFLA didn't already have CRT- and they've been in use for 10 years too.

I think Sunrail to Apopka makes sense; perhaps up to Zellwood as well but not as much; just depends on the amount of commuters.

Currently LakeXpress (Lake County's transit service) offers only 4 routes and they are all up in the Triangle. One of them connects to LYNX in Zellwood. I wonder what the ridership there is like.

Would love to see it eventually go up to the Villages. Golf Cart park and rides for everyone

Nelson was probably referring to the ability to leverage All Aboard FL to get from Apopka to Miami car free

Edited by Jernigan

Would love to see it eventually go up to the Villages. Golf Cart park and rides for everyone

Just what we need... those old folks hitting all the clubs, swarming the Golden Corral, causing a fuss, spreading those STDs, and back in bed before 8pm!

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 2

I think the WESH article had a few typos. I think those six trains were slated for service in South FLorida, and the idea was to move them to Central Florida.

I believe that SunRail expansion will happen sooner rather than later. There seems to have been pent-up demand for a transportation alternative to I-4.

I don't know if this was mentioned on here before (briefly looked and couldn't find it, it was timed very close to other announcements) but Volousia is looking at expanding SunRail east to Daytona after DeLand. They funded a $500k study on it a few months ago. While I think its a bit unlikely it happens anytime soon, it could be a good route to add to make it more then just commuters if it does make it possible to get to the beach, and make it more feasible for the whole system to run on weekends/off peak.

I don't know if this was mentioned on here before (briefly looked and couldn't find it, it was timed very close to other announcements) but Volousia is looking at expanding SunRail east to Daytona after DeLand. They funded a $500k study on it a few months ago. While I think its a bit unlikely it happens anytime soon, it could be a good route to add to make it more then just commuters if it does make it possible to get to the beach, and make it more feasible for the whole system to run on weekends/off peak.

Can you imagine the ability to get on a train in Kissimmee and get off at Daytona Beach on a Saturday? 

"Hey kids, let's hit the beach today!  We're taking the train!" 

No parking problems.  No worries.

Edited by HankStrong

^^

the typo analysis makes sense now.

Story in the OBJ sheds a little more light on what Mica was suggesting. Apparently theseare "self-propelled diesel cars that TriRail had been using for the last 10 years. " The article further states that the cars have "engines that are almost the size of those in buses at each end, so the cars aren’t pushed or pulled but rather move on their own."

Says its cheaper to operate. Maybe they're looking at this for limited night, weekend and holiday service? Interesting idea.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/06/3-ways-u-s-rep-john-mica-wants-c-fla-rail-to.html

Story in the OBJ sheds a little more light on what Mica was suggesting. Apparently theseare "self-propelled diesel cars that TriRail had been using for the last 10 years. " The article further states that the cars have "engines that are almost the size of those in buses at each end, so the cars aren’t pushed or pulled but rather move on their own."

Says its cheaper to operate. Maybe they're looking at this for limited night, weekend and holiday service? Interesting idea.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/06/3-ways-u-s-rep-john-mica-wants-c-fla-rail-to.html

Ahh.  Self propelled.  the other article didn't really go into that.

They'd have to build all new track wouldn't they?

The real key there would the section from the DeLand station to I-4.  There is an old spur track that goes about halfway.  That seems like it would be the place to start, BUT it dies right in the middle of a residential neighborhood near the school.  There is basically nowhere to go from there.

So it would probably have to spur North of town and ignore that existing piece.

Assuming they get to use the I-4 median, the rest is relatively simple.  Maybe simple is the wrong word... more under their control would be a better phrase.  It would just have to be built in the median and once it got to Daytona, they would have to use their local powers to figure out the terminus.  I can't find the quote now, but one of the council people said something about tying in access to the Speedway, airport, the schools (I think Daytona Beach CC, Bethune-Cookman, and Embry-Riddle all have campuses right there????), but I didn't see anything about taking it over the Halifax.  That would likely be a seriously expensive bridge because I don't remember seeing a train bridge existing there.

However, bringing it to Daytona and stopping short of the actual beach would probably be the dumbest decision possible.  Everything else pales in comparison to the draw of the beach.  You have to figure out a way to get it to where people can walk to the beach.  I'm sure there is some Votran station on the mainland, but it seems like getting off the mainland would be the big draw.  You could take the bus or one of those trolleys on that side or just walk to the beach.

Edited by HankStrong

^^

the train proposal from Deland to Daytona:  From what I read, it would be a different system, not necessarily Sunrail, and it would stop near the speedway; it wouldn't cross the Intracoastal.

^^

Yeah, the Sunrail station in Deland is at the extreme western edge of town.  too bad they don't route it to continue along that spur that brings it very close to downtown Deland.  That would be very cool.  Very similar to the Winter Garden setup oddly enough with their spur.