SunRail

sunshine

If this is a spur that extends north of Meadow Woods out to OIA, I cannot see how this would be an extension of Phase II to Poinciana.  It goes in a completely different direction.  My guess is that this is a separate line that links up at Sand Lake Road station and runs on a slightly different schedule.

• Like 1

^^

LOL!  Zoolander!  What  IS this....?

^^

Sunrail:  The being part of Phase II:  the spur is already there.   the reason its on phase II track is b/c its south of SLR.  they will use existing easement from OUC and double track that spur...or so that was the plan they had stated.

http://www.us441corridorstudy.com/

Just found this and thought I'd share since I haven't heard too much Info about the possible expansion on here. There is an official survey you can take for those who would use this NW line.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/US441CorridorStudy

Also found this new study for an extended line of Sun Rail that would spur in downtown Sanford and make its way down to UCF.

http://www.metroplanorlando.com/files/view/rnc-report-final-draft.pdf

They would use existing track to Winter Springs but would have to rebuild the remaining tracks. All the info is in here but this seems to be the main problem they are facing;

"ALOMA SPUR
On November 3, 2011, FDOT purchased the 61.5 mile long A-Line railroad right-of-way from 
CSX Transportation (CSXT) for the primary purpose of establishing the SunRail commuter rail 
system. Through the purchase of the main line, FDOT also obtained the option to acquire 
CSXT’s Aloma Spur for ten dollars ($10.00). Figure 19 shows an up-close map of the Spur. The 
conveyance of the Aloma Spur rights-of-way are optional and are yet to be exercised by 
FDOT.
One of the main concerns is the legal boundaries of the Spur. The Aloma Spur rail line runs 
from the City of Sanford down to the City of Winter Springs. However, the Contract for Sale 
and Purchase signed between CSX and FDOT in November 2007 states that the section of the 
Aloma Spur that is available for purchase runs only to the Orlando Sanford International 
Airport. A boundary survey completed by FDOT in October 2009 also defines the Aloma Spur 
running from the Sanford SunRail Station to the airport. The mile posts describing the Spur 
listed in these documents do not match. It seems that the remaining Aloma Spur rail line, 
which terminates at Wade Street about 700 feet west of the Cross-Seminole Trail, is not 
contemplated under the original Contract for Sale and Purchase.
A legal analysis of the Contract for Sale determined that the Contract generally 
contemplates that the Aloma Spur line is located wholly within Seminole County, beginning 
in Sanford and terminating at the Orlando Sanford International Airport. Without a legal 
description for the line or reference to specific mile posts in the Contract, it is not possible 
to determine the exact length and location of the Spur. However, because the Option 
Agreement allows the parties to amend the Exhibits which can determine the exact location 
and description of the Spur upon mutual agreement, such lack of clarity is not fatal to the 
FDOT’s exercise of the option. The complete legal option can be found in Appendix D.
There are additional concerns with the Spur. The Aloma Spur rail line, in its entirety, is 
considered an “excepted track” by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). This 
designation places several limitations on the line. Most importantly, it states that no
occupied passenger rail can be operated on the tracks and that no trains shall be operated 
at speeds in excess of 10 mph. In order to run passenger rail, a rail line needs to be 
designated at least a Class 1, though most national passenger rail lines are designated Class 
4 or above. In addition, the majority of the line is composed of single track lines, with 
limited passing sidings. 
It will take a significant financial investment to bring the Aloma Spur rail line up to a Class
4. FDOT spent around $355 million to improve the SunRail main line; about $5.7 million per 
mile. Due to its FRA “excepted” classification, it can be assumed that the Aloma Spur rail 
line would need more infrastructure improvements than the main line did for SunRail, thus, 
it is expected that the per mile improvement costs will be greater than $5.7 million, for a 
total improvement cost of at least $65,227,642 for the entire length of the Spur. 
CSXT also has established policies that limit multi-modal opportunities near the Spur. CSXT 
requires a natural separation of 50 feet from the center line, between the rail line and the 
possible development. This means that any dedicated bus lane or shared-use trail must be 
50 feet away from the rail line. Residential and commercial development has already 
occurred on the north section of the Spur, acquiring this land may incur additional costs. 
Conversely, the south section of the Spur, after the airport, has low density residential and 
industrial sites, which may be less expensive to acquire. To alleviate the natural separation
issue, CSXT traditionally acquires between 60 to 100 feet of right-of-way from the center..."
Edited by truebluecfl

Off top of my head that means there's 8 rail projects currently in some level of research or development.

1- SunRail Phase 2

2- SunRail OIA connector

3- All Aboard Florida

4- Mag-Lev (hearing rumors that Universal may get in on this, Insight is supposedly research it now)

5- Orange Blossom Express

6- Aloma Spur

7- SunRail to Daytona (where is this study standing?)

8- SunRail SCC Lake Mary Spur (where is this study standing?)

I tried listing the 8 loosely based on how far along each was.

Plus Charlie Crist keeps bringing up High Speed Rail, if he wins in November I expect the revitalizing of that project to be one of his first focuses. I'm curious what will happen with those ROWs on I-4, someone will use it eventually.

Wasn't there talk of a Lake Nona, UCF spur of SunRail at one time? Whatever happened to that?

Any other rail projects that I missed?

Edited by klstorey
  • Like 1

Real-time train icons now show up:

http://sunrail.com/default.aspx

Seems pretty accurate. Watched the icon move as the southbound train came around the bend into downtown. Off by a few seconds at most.

Edit: a bit glitchy but seems like a UI problem and not so much a data problem. Trains occasionally disappear. They're calling it "beta" for now, so I would expect it to have some issues.

Edited by castorvx

Off top of my head that means there's 8 rail projects currently in some level of research or development.

1- SunRail Phase 2

2- SunRail OIA connector

3- All Aboard Florida

4- Mag-Lev (hearing rumors that Universal may get in on this, Insight is supposedly research it now)

5- Orange Blossom Express

6- Aloma Spur

7- SunRail to Daytona (where is this study standing?)

8- SunRail SCC Lake Mary Spur (where is this study standing?)

I tried listing the 8 loosely based on how far along each was.

Plus Charlie Crist keeps bringing up High Speed Rail, if he wins in November I expect the revitalizing of that project to be one of his first focuses. I'm curious what will happen with those ROWs on I-4, someone will use it eventually.

Wasn't there talk of a Lake Nona, UCF spur of SunRail at one time? Whatever happened to that?

Any other rail projects that I missed?

One you left out is the UCF connector.  Although it could wind up being a BRT, light rail is one of the considerations.

Here is the main project site: http://lynxsr50.com/default.aspx

Here is the latest presentation: http://lynxsr50.com/pdf/PAWG_Meeting_5_05142014.pdf

• Like 1

It would probably have to be elevated through Mills and downtown to OBT. But I would say most of it would be ground level, with the tracks running on the middle of 50 or parallel to the road. There's a pretty decent size buffer between the edge of the road and private properties that they could use, would probably have to redo the sidewalks but that wouldn't be an issue. Our pedestrian walkways need a revamp anyways to make them safer.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't really know where else to put this, but since it's only 0.4 miles from the Southern terminus of the SunRail line...

Ate & drank at Gnarly Barley on Orange Avenue this weekend.  Had a great time.  Definitely worth it.  It's part of the SunRail Pub Crawl, should you ever take part in that.

I don't really know where else to put this, but since it's only 0.4 miles from the Southern terminus of the SunRail line...

Ate & drank at Gnarly Barley on Orange Avenue this weekend.  Had a great time.  Definitely worth it.  It's part of the SunRail Pub Crawl, should you ever take part in that.

Another SunRail pub crawl, the Conductor Crawl, is happening this Friday.  They'll be starting on Church Street and heading to Orlando Brewing. 

They have added a Maitland Sunrail shuttle starting next week. Work still needs to be done at the other end of my commute but a step in the right direction.

http://www.golynx.com/maps-schedules/routes-detail.stml?portalProcess_dd_0_1_1=showPublicPosting&calendar_entry_id=2228

Edited by floridalgr
  • Like 1

^^

They need to market this new shuttle to all of the management companies at Maitland Center so that the workers learn of it.  If this gets popular, they will have to replace those 15 person vans with buses.  I believe this is one of the "sleeper" stops that if it takes off will skyrocket Sumrall daily ridership.

• Like 2

The shuttle was put together with the property managers - if it doesn't take, it won't be because of education.

I'm skeptical. If a 15 person vehicle (they really aren't vans if you've ever seen the other neighbor link vehicles) fills up with employees from Company A - on a standing reservation - why the heck are we all subsidizing it instead of the employer?

Our office on JYP got a Lynx vanpool for the whole complex, but it only departs one time a day and isn't feasible for us.  The management company forced us to pay for it ourselves though.  We figured as big as Southpark was, that the management company should have been able to cover a bus like this shuttle.