SunRail

sunshine

Don't know if you guys heard, but as I predicted a few posts back, SunRail service was a complete disaster on Sunday. As early as 1 PM the trains going downtown were so packed they had to start skipping stations, leaving riders waiting on the platforms. My friend was at the Winter Park station and they could not board the train. They had to abort the SunRail idea and drive to the game.

Then you had the post game scenario. Once I read this last week, the numbers just didn't add up:

"More than 40 buses will be continuously running in a loop post-game to ensure fans a smooth exit from the stadium to various downtown locations."

Soooo...40 busses leaving the Citrus Bowl and only 1 SunRail train departing each way after the game (and the next scheduled train 90 minutes later). I don't know why I saw this coming and the city with all their planners did not. This was a big fail on the first test of SunRail being used for events.

Edited by Pete C

Yup - saw this coming a mile away. SunRail is great but it's a function of it's funding and they half arsed it. Not sure if it was the City/sponsors not asking what they were going to get for their money or what.

If I was SunRail, Id say thanks, no thanks next time unless the funding entity does it right. It's ruining the brand

• Like 1

It's not just the logistics, it's also the lack of communication. As soon as they realized the crowds were going to be heavy, they should have been plastering messages all over social media, the web and the media. They also should have immediately communicated the announcements of new trains, arrival times, and schedule updates to the crowds at the station.

I think people can be pretty forgiving, especially when free service overwhelms the system. But lack of communication is a real killer. 

I was told by one of the workers on board that there were additional trains added; one about 30 minutes after the first train was running for the day and another about 30 minutes after the train picking up passengers after the game ended. It was a last minute move not updated to the schedules people had, unfortunately. I managed to take the train from Sand Lake to downtown and back. Then again it was only the Sand Lake and ORMC stations, of course, but it was the best decision I made. With no surprise there were quite a few going just for the joyride, which was not helping. It was certainly smoother than the first two weeks of service. I was just one of the lucky ones.

Turns out SunRail is not allowed to charge fares on days they are not operating the train.  The train was effectively leased out. 

It does make me wonder if they could have required a soccer or basketball ticket to ride and how much would that have helped?

• Like 1

Turns out SunRail is not allowed to charge fares on days they are not operating the train.  The train was effectively leased out. 

It does make me wonder if they could have required a soccer or basketball ticket to ride and how much would that have helped?

That would have helped some, however there was still a fundamental issue with how they balanced the load. The main problem Sunday is you had 6 trains picking up before the game going downtown (3 from north, 3 from south at 90 min intervals), and only 2 departing directly after the game (1 going north and 1 going south). Simple math should have told them they should have as many trains coming back from the dropoff as they had going too the dropoff.

• Like 1

From what I read in the OBJ today, it said that even when the train rides are sponsored there is a limit to how many trains/trips due to federal staffing regulations.  So basically they used all the available staff they had on these 4 trips in each direction.  I guess they could have evened it out and had 2 trips coming and going for both north and south (instead of 3 and 1).

It really is too bad because some people have a very bad opinion of Sunrail now.  I really wish they could just charge a fare which would make the crowds more reasonable.  Why can't they charge a fare?  Is it some law or something?  They really need to change that rule.

Bostonians have an absolutely horrible view of the MBTA due to a number of issues historic and recent.  Ridership numbers have never been higher.  The truth is, mass transit is not a "luxury" rather a necessity.  If anything, this event should highlight that with crystal clarity.  It is unacceptable not to have weekend service in Orlando when the system was completely overwhelmed by demand.

My 2c.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news on SunRail ridership. March was close to the 1-year goal.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/sunrail/os-sunrail-ridership-up-20150401-story.html

Why is it that everytime weekend service is brought up, they say they need to buy new trains? Are the trains not capable of being used more then 4-5 days a week? (don't we already have a spare for problems?)

How many trains are there, two?  one for each track?

No, there's 7. My understanding is at peak they operate 5 (30 minute run times), so they have 2 spares in case they're down for maintenance or problems. They seem to setup the schedule so one train can do 8 of the trips, another one 5, and the rest of that days active trains can do 2 trips per day (I don't know how they rotate the trains) with 2 trains making no trips each day. I don't admit to knowing anything about operating trains, but given that utilization rate, I really just don't get why we need more trains to do weekend

• Like 1

I'm curious to see the numbers for Sunrail tonight as Orlando City plays it's first weeknight game. It's at 7 and will be over by 9 so it should give plenty of time to get the train headed north at 1030. Doubt anyone going south can use the train though.

I'm curious too. Unlike the other venues, you have to depend on other buses/shuttles to make it back to the train line. That may scare some from trying it. Then again, others will read the promotions and say "let's do that!" And trust the system.

• 2 months later...

Having the All Aboard station complete without a Sunrail connection (at least for a few years) will be crazy.  I still don't understand how Phase 3 will work.  Will it stop at the airport on it's way down to Kissimmee?  That seems to be the only option that makes sense but that would lengthen the trip for Kissimmee passengers.

They are moving forward with preliminary alignments and concepts now as well as operating scenarios. The existing track is near Weatherbee closer to Meadowoods than Sand Lake. It will be interesting to see what they choose to do.

The latest reports that they're doing the studies for the airport spur, as well as finding new money to expedite Phase II North to Deland.

Put on the big boy city pants and use Link 111 to get from SunRail to OIA. Takes 12-15 minutes.

The more pressing issue is having 7-day service by the time SunRail gets to the airport at all

I try to use the 111 to the airport all the time.  It's never there.  I always end up using the slower 11 or the 42, which defeats the whole purpose.  I'm 0 for 4 on using the 111.