TIGER Grant Cycle

kermit

A little self-serving, but I would like to see a pedestrian path from the Scaleybark Station over to Tryon. Or in general, better pedestrian access to light rail stations to/from Tryon

I agree, ped access from Tryon is lacking once you move south of East-West.

In a perfect (unlimited money) world we would have bike share stations at each LRT station AND 3/4 miles on either side of each station.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So the TIGER grant Charlotte is applying for is to refit its entire transit fare purchase system.  They want to go to a system like in Boston (and probably most places now) where you get a plastic credit card with an embedded chip, which can be either loaded with a pass or debit system, where you tap the card at a payment machine to refill, and then tap against a card reader when entering the LRT train.

Also, it would be tranferable to Kannaplois transit, and others in the region.

This has been rumored for a while to be the goal of CATS, and it seems that they are going this route for the BLE extensior already, so this grant would in theory defray the costs of what seems to be a mandatory refitting of the existing LRT vending machines.  I forgot if this grant includes installing readers in all busses as well, but that's clearly the plan.

So the TIGER grant Charlotte is applying for is to refit its entire transit fare purchase system.  They want to go to a system like in Boston (and probably most places now) where you get a plastic credit card with an embedded chip, which can be either loaded with a pass or debit system, where you tap the card at a payment machine to refill, and then tap against a card reader when entering the LRT train.

Also, it would be tranferable to Kannaplois transit, and others in the region.

This has been rumored for a while to be the goal of CATS, and it seems that they are going this route for the BLE extensior already, so this grant would in theory defray the costs of what seems to be a mandatory refitting of the existing LRT vending machines.  I forgot if this grant includes installing readers in all busses as well, but that's clearly the plan.

No Streetcar??

No Streetcar??

AFIK they are planning to submit a Small / New Starts grant for $64 million instead. My impression of TIGER is that it is very difficult to get more than $25 million.

Aside from the ability to institute distance-based fares I am kinda 'meh' on the fare equipment overhaul plan. While I appreciate that they are trying to shift some BLE costs into another grant program, I think DOT has shown that they can't be fooled into doing that easily (e.g. the 9th st station TIGER proposal). In terms of need, my impression is we simply don't have an extensive enough network to make it worthwhile (meaning I would prioritize system expansion over improvements like this). I would however appreciate the ability to purchase fare and passes for my fancy new card via an online interface.

If a system like this were to be implemented would there still be the ability to purchase tickets like what is currently done now for people who ride seldomly (Panthers game day or cable box concert) or visitors/tourists to the city? I would imagine that both options would need to be available right?

NYC you have to pay for the card...its thin and paperlike, but still reloadable

It's also really good for when u get locked out of your house.

What I mean to say is that the MARTA Breeze card costs $1 flat out to get. The Metrocard only costs money in that you get it with a balance, but there's no "fee" for the card itself. (At least, not that I recall?)

There is now a 2.00 fee for a new metro card, but it's now reloadable for monthly and weekly. That wasn't always the case.

I was just in San Francisco and to buy a Clipper card, its 3 dollars online but I think free in person. There really wasn't a purpose of me buying a Clipper card because you could always add money onto a regular ticket.

I have said this before, but I have spoke with a guy over at CATS. Contactless smart cards are coming soon. They are supposedly talking with suppliers now, and hope to have a system pushed out soon. The problem is that not only will they have to install readers on all trains, but they will also have to install new TVMs that can distribute and add fares, and reconfigure the fare boxes that allow users to "tap" the card on the pad.

I'm really shocked that it took CATS so long to get a contactless smart card system so long to be pushed out. Every other transit system in major cities seems to have one.

I think the card should be called "Cheetah". It keeps up with the big cat theme of our city and CATS (Lynx, Sprinter, etc.).

From the Meck Times: http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/04/16/city-approves-spending-nearly-250-million-for-light-rail-construction/

The council authorized the city manager to submit applications to receive federal funding for two projects in the form of TIGER Grants, which stands for Transportation Investments Generating Economic Recovery. The city will apply for $13.5 million in grants for new transit fare equipment on buses and at light rail stations; and will apply for $300,000 to work with the Centralina Council of Governments on developing a plan for freight movements across the state.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have an update on the TIGER funding of Phase II of the Gold Line?

I believe we submitted for it for a short extension to Graham, but obviously didn't get it for 2014.

Now they submitted whole phase II for small starts which seems more likely to be successful.

• 3 months later...

The TIGER 7 Grant cycle was announced yesterday. $500 million is budgeted for this cycle (its not a huge amount so most individual grants are relatively small (in the $10 million or smaller range) although some are as high as $25 million. As always the program has a focus on "innovative intermodal projects that have the potential to change the face of communities." With that in mind I'll offer my half-assed suggestions for what Charlotte should apply for (pick one or suggest your own):

1) Bike Lynx: Make the blue line more bike friendly by a) designing the third LRT vehicle in each train (they one we are currently upgrading capacity for using a previous TIGER grant) more bike friendly (seats that are spring loaded to fold up by default) in the low-floor center section of the vehicle perhaps? (the existing bike racks and space have never worked well for me and discouraged me from taking my bike on the LRT) along with signage and b) building protected or separated bike lanes / paths radiating out from station areas (particularly at each end of the line) and c) publishing new (integrated) transit and bike network maps at stations, vehicles etc.

I would imagine protected lanes or separated paths (intended to provide endpoint and neighborhood transit connectivity) like:

• connecting the 485 station to Pineville and Carolina place via Little Sugar Creek
  • Arrowood to Microsoft
  • Tyvola to Renaissance Park and Marion Diehl
  • Scaleybark to Park Rd Shopping center and the Sugar Creek Greenway (this is essentially already complete)
  • Matheson BLE (28th st?) to Statesville ave (Brightwalk) and Plaza Midwood
  • Sugar Creek to Sugaw Creek Community Park (possibly Derita and Ribbon Walk) and Olympic HS
  • Old Concord to Reedy Creek
  • University City to lower URP / IBM / Wells (via IKEA)
  • UNCC to upper URP / TIAA-CREF (essentially already built) and Reedy Creek Park (connect to Old Concord station)

I know it could be argued that much of this already exists but I think the recent research is compelling that some small improvements to bike infrastructure can yield substantial returns.

2) A program to (partially) close Trade Street to cars (or at least redesign to more of a complete street) with the goal of speeding the streetcar (plus signal preemption). 

3) A pedestrian / bike bridge with some sexy architecture over the rail yard connecting near existing Amtrak (with a bonus bridge over Sugar Creek to Cordilia park). This was on my list last year also -- its seems pretty fundamental for the future of Tryon Hills.

None of the suggestions above are intended to suggest I think those are the 'best" choices, its just what I came up with over breakfast -- please add your own thoughts.

EDIT 1: Last year I suggested that CATS apply for funds to make the transit network (including bikeshare) fully real-time trackable on mobile devices and strategically place screens at transit nodes. As discussed elsewhere here, CATS is dragging its feet on this important initiative for various reasons, so screw that. Last year CATS also applied for new smartcard fare equipment -- they were rejected.

EDIT 2: This TIGER cycle might be a good opportunity for Anthony Foxx to throw a little pork our way to prepare for his run against Dick Burr for Senate.

EDIT 3: I TLDR'd myself -- sorry.

Archived