Redeveloping Orlando Executive Airport

jliv

Why on Earth anyone quotes the Slantinel on these boards for anything more than humor is beyond me.

I already pay for toilet paper, I don't need to pay for e-toilet paper.

a. The source was the Florida Retail Report ... it just showed up in the story ... I linked it in case anyone wanted to know where the figures came from.

b. I don't pay for it and no one asked you to pay for it.

c. But the real question is, why do you have to be such a jerk to fellow Urban Planet posters.?

What about returning some of it to natural lands in addition to eventual redevelopment? For Example,   Shelby Farms  http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/ in Memphis is near the city center and is much larger than a Central Park, and a lot like Forest Park in St. Louis.   

I agree 110% - not in any rush with a timetable, but as the city continues to grow and density continues to increase, it will be an incredible resource that we have this giant swath of government-owned land with the potential (at least in part) be developed as park space for public use.  

In any case, and no matter anyone's opinion on what the best use of this land would be as of today, I think that rushing to develop this land would be shortsighted.  As the city's growth continues, opinions on the best use of this land will surely continue to evolve.  There are so many scattered, smaller parcels to develop first, and the opportunity to develop such a large swath of land so close to the urban core is unique.  There simply won't be another opportunity like it, and to develop it today when there's no shortage of available land elsewhere might negate determining its ultimate best use. 

Edited by uncreativeusername

a. The source was the Florida Retail Report ... it just showed up in the story ... I linked it in case anyone wanted to know where the figures came from.

b. I don't pay for it and no one asked you to pay for it.

c. But the real question is, why do you have to be such a jerk to fellow Urban Planet posters.?

a. Why not link the actual source?

b. Yes, they do. Every time someone links an article.

c. Unless you are the editor of said publication, then I'm not being a jerk to you or any other UP poster.  If you are, then I am busted.  My bad.

a. Why not link the actual source?

b. Yes, they do. Every time someone links an article.

c. Unless you are the editor of said publication, then I'm not being a jerk to you or any other UP poster.  If you are, then I am busted.  My bad.

a. I'm not about to spend an extra 1/2 hour looking for an alternate source just because one UP poster has this thing ... that makes him go off on others.  I have a life.

b. Didn't cost me a thing

c.  Yes, you were being a jerk to me, ... and I don't think anyone on here gives a ..... about your hygiene habits.

I use toilet paper.  Like 99.9999999999% of non-homeless people in developed Western nations.  That is news to no one, except maybe Ric Romero, who finds water being wet a news item.  Not sure why this is a hot button issue for you.

But on the topic of the Executive Airport (and the vast majority of topics, ever) the Sentinel has never been a good source of what is going on over there.  I certainly don't think the area should be rushed into redevelopment, just to get something else there.  In the long run, though, I think that this huge piece of land is out of place with the future of Orlando.

Orlando doesn't have to be a baby Manhattan, but if this city is going to become a major player in the SE US market it is going to have to develop.  Orlando's current downtown heading toward UCF is an ideal growth area.  Northern cities did in the early 1900s filled in and wiped out the remnants of the old, small communities in the process.  That could potentially happen.

"if this city is going to become a major player in the SE US market it is going to have to develop." I continue to be amazed by those who think Orlando's doing something wrong:

(1) In 30 years (1980-2010), the Orlando MSA went from #50 to #26 in the U.S.;

(2) Even though some choose not to believe it (I'm not sure what motive the Florida Retail Report would have to lie about this), downtown Orlando is growing faster than just about all the others in what is about to be the 3rd-largest state;

(3) The Orlando MSA annual growth rate of 6+ % from 2000-2013 is higher than all but a handful of other cities. Sure, there's work to be done (too many 7-Elevens!), but I'm not sure I understand all the hand-wringing. 

Growth alone /= becoming a major player

Developing is much more.

I agree, that it's going in the right direction, but Orlando is still very much 3rd or 4th tier city EXCEPT when it comes to tourism.  The vast bulk of tourism bypasses most of Orlando proper and heads to the theme parks/convention center/beaches.

I do not agree on getting that land developed.  I think it is an advantage for downtown Orlando to have an close-by exxecutive airport for business use. How many buildings in downtown Orlando has a helipad?

If in the future, downtown Orlando is short of empty lands, they should extend it westward and redevelop into taller buildings. Isnt all these matchbox buildings are for?

That again assumes the Manhattan model of urbanization which exists for very specific reasons. Cities like Orlando with no natural limits rarely follow such a model. Until very recently, for example, most of the "business" in LA took place far away from downtown. Its largest private employer headquartered in the region, The Walt Disney Co., still is not located downtown, and probably never will be.

Edited by spenser1058

Bingo ... and as you recall from a recent Sentinel story, between 2000 and 2012 Orlando's city center population grew by 35.4%, while Tampa's grew only by 14.5%,  Miami and Jacksonville were even lower.  So, when measuring what really counts (downtown vibrancy), we are way ahead and pulling away even faster. If what they say about a downtown university giving a city 14/7 life, hang on to your hats when UCF opens their creative village campus. 

Ah, okay.

So this statistic deals with change in population rate but not total numbers.  Makes sense.  How could downtown Miami build all of those residential units since 2000 and not be No.1 on that list?  That also means way more people lived in downtown Miami than downtown Orlando to start with.

• 1 month later...
Showalter Flying Services selling to Texas company

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1504/article/p2p-82168727/

Definitely the end of an era - for those desiring change at Herndon, this is pretty amazing. The Showalters are an FFO that have made an impact on the Orlando we know.

Edited by spenser1058

• 9 months later...

I drove by Colonial Promenade and noticed that the movie theater and the Trustco Bank have recently vacated (bank moved across the street). This is in addition to all the other closed businesses.

Does anyone know if GOAA has any plans to do anything with the property? For years people have been hinting that Walmart has plan but its a pretty old rumor.

Anyone have any updates?
J

• 6 months later...

Yeah a lot of vacancies I've noticed in Promenade Plaza. I noticed a lot of disagreement on what to do with the executive airport, but let me chime in. If not redevelop at least set aside land to build an eastward spine for sunrail. Sunrail eastbound can depart from central station and hop on the east - west 

1. Avoid buying up costly land 

2. We already have the right of way 

Come off the east-west and jump over to the executive airport and build a station somewhere on the present airport...I'd say as close as possible to the intersection of Bennett and Colonial so that it may be of benefit to Baldwin Park and Fashion square mall..continue  eastbound on airport property over lake Barton and onto East Colonial at Semoran and Colonial..I'm sure many have noticed that East Colonial is being widened and may be able to acomodate the a good portion of the Eastbound Sunrail.. Once we pass the 417 and Colonial we then veer northward towards parks and walking trails...Pretty much following the Econ river towards University Blvd.Once on University continue eastward..Cross overAlafaya trail and onto UCF property...you guys can fill the blanks as to Where to have train stations...Does this seem plausible or a complete fantasy??

Edited by Urban mail carrier
Complete my thought

3 hours ago, gibby said:

I'd love to see them add limited commercial flights some day, catering to locals.  Maybe 8-10 small jet flights by large carriers to each of their hubs.

I like this idea. Though if downtown was better connected to MCO I would find it less appealing. That's a lot of "undeveloped" land so close to the core. 

That's what I was thinking...if MCO was better connected  then Herndon would not be needed...let's see what happens after the MCO south terminal expansion and the Sunrail connection in 2020..that's if everything goes to plan...if it does go to plan that may get the ball rolling to develop some or all of Herndon for  a Sunrail Eastbound spine...MCO, Orlando/ sanford or Orlando/ Melbourne can look to pick up some business.