Jump to content

jliv

Redeveloping Orlando Executive Airport

Recommended Posts

Commuter rail is not a logical connection for east Orlando (Maguire to 436) to downtown.

And once you get beyond that, into the county and walled subdivision land - there's no walkable area for something cute and urban.  Pick 1-2 zones (I shudder at calling them "places") like Union Park and Waterford...build stations with parking lots....and just run the thing down 408 and somehow get to grade and connect to Church Street Station.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I wrestled with the idea of where to place stations on the eastward route...I too came to the conclusion that there's really nothing out there...except for one blatant exception...UCF  and 64,000 millenials..Baldwin Park and it's young professionals...but besides that nothing else..I would argue perhaps to center other stations where there are many apt complexes..that's why I thought that bringing up the tracks on University Blvd would be plausible. Bringing the tracks close to East Valencia would be ideal as well but I don't know if there's room and there's many subdivisions..

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A UCF station that is on campus would only serve the campus.    The drive from Oviedo or Waterford to campus would be add too much time versus hopping on a toll road.   Even if someone would do that, they would have to purchase a parking decal to park and ride.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UCF seems very open to helping Orlando grow..The UCF downtown campus is proof of that..I'm sure there will be accommodations as to where riders can park there vehicles..what's not to say that that the station may be built just a block or two from the campus itself. Besides building the Eastbound route would connect the Downtown to the main campus...I concede that Waterford has a lot of potential riders, but UCF s 64,000 students is a number to difficult to ignore..I believe I saw an old Sunrail map proposing that a separate line connect Medical city to Avalon, Waterford, UCF, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Orlando / Sanford Intl. Airport...however Imo that's further off then the Eastbound route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jernigan said:

A UCF station that is on campus would only serve the campus.    The drive from Oviedo or Waterford to campus would be add too much time versus hopping on a toll road.   Even if someone would do that, they would have to purchase a parking decal to park and ride.   

Why couldn't there be stations at Waterford and Oviedo that a commuter train could stop at?

Why would people have to drive all the way to the campus just to board?

I no get.... :huh:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draw that out for me a little more so I can visualize.   Is it stop #1 Oviedo (and where abouts)...stop #2 UCF and Stop #3 Waterford?   Where would you put the Waterford stop?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Draw that out for me a little more so I can visualize.   Is it stop #1 Oviedo (and where abouts)...stop #2 UCF and Stop #3 Waterford?   Where would you put the Waterford stop?  

Well... I suppose Westbound to downtown the first stop would be Oviedo. Eastbound coming into UCF the last stop would be in Oviedo.

As to the Waterford location, wouldn't that depend on where they decided to put the tracks?

Looks like there is a pathway to the west of Alafaya so maybe a Waterford station could be located in any one of several places.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a cool graphic...but I would be bolder....instead of stopping at Orlando/ Sanford Intl airport...I would continue that line to include a Deltona station and a Daytona Beach station...the stop at Daytona would be at the International Airport...thus connecting the 3 Airports.. Volusia wants a stop up there badly..they've already paid for a study to take the Northbound route from Deland onto I4 and onto Daytona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is meant to line up with actual proposed projects then SR 50 and US192 are fixin to be BRT and the northwest spur to Apopka is/was commuter rail

No idea about some of the others like what is going down Narcoossee but glad they are recognizing the problems they road faces as Lake Nona continues to boom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if there isn't rail already, I don't see Sunrail ever expanding to that (whichever) location because of cost, unless it uses ROW from the expressway system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:46 PM, Jernigan said:

If this is meant to line up with actual proposed projects then SR 50 and US192 are fixin to be BRT and the northwest spur to Apopka is/was commuter rail

No idea about some of the others like what is going down Narcoossee but glad they are recognizing the problems they road faces as Lake Nona continues to boom

How did I miss this ? Are 50 and 192 definitely going BRT ? If so, what is the timeline ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New terminal for Orlando Executive/Herndon complete with restaurant:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-cfb-real-estate-orlando-airport-20170522-story.html

(from Orlando Sentinel)

Gives a frisson of extra height to the area and, dare I say it, suggests the airport ain't going away.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great idea and I've been hoping for this to happen for years.   They should allow three daily banks of flights, starting with maybe 4-8 max per bank with regional planes like an Embraer.  It could eventually become a junior PBI.  Actually, Daytona has about 10-12 flights per day so it could start out similar to DAB but with smaller planes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, gibby said:

This is a great idea and I've been hoping for this to happen for years.   They should allow three daily banks of flights, starting with maybe 4-8 max per bank with regional planes like an Embraer.  It could eventually become a junior PBI.  Actually, Daytona has about 10-12 flights per day so it could start out similar to DAB but with smaller planes.

 Now if they just bring back the Skyline Buffet *searches for Kruggerands*.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.