Redeveloping Orlando Executive Airport

jliv

I doubt that those who live in or near the takeoff and landing paths would think it's such a great idea.

I remember when I lived in TP,  occasionally those private jets would take off and land at night. It would literally drown out the TV.  

Imagine that happening several times every day day and evening.

While it would certainly behoove them to take neighborhood sentiment into consideration, I have to cry crocodile tears at anyone who doesn’t like airport noise who moved... next to an airport.

Heck, Herndon opened in 1928 (it’s even older than I am!) and has hosted commercial, military and general aviation aircraft.

When the shift was made away from commercial flights in the ‘70’s (for a brief time there were such flights at both Herndon and McCoy), it had to do more with justifying investments in both airports than anything else. While I’d have to research it, I don’t recall Carl Langford or anyone else ever saying there would never be another commercial flight at Herndon.

Particularly after older facilities like Love Field in Dallas and Midway in Chicago found new life for commercial flights, it’s been discussed here periodically over the years (I have no evidence on this, but I also think GOAA would love it just to stick a thumb in Sanford’s eye).

What eventually happens will be decided by GOAA, not the city (remember that while the Orlando Mayor is part of it, most appointments are made by the governor).

A compromise here would be most welcome.

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

https://twitter.com/historycenterfl/status/1180118091973443584?s=21

Bring back commercial flights soon! (ok, so I’m probably dreaming...)

Huh, you want commercial flights out of the tiny airport downtown? Even if that's a joke, it's a terrible idea. Please do me a favor and never mention it again lol.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

Huh, you want commercial flights out of the tiny airport downtown? Even if that's a joke, it's a terrible idea. Please do me a favor and never mention it again lol.

Until the ‘70’s, they had them. GOAA has also proposed it recently (probably to p**s Sanford off, but nevertheless...)

It’s not unprecedented. Supposedly old outdated airports like Love Field and Midway were expected to just fade away but carriers like Southwest had other ideas.

As Teddy Kennedy said, “...the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die!”

Edited by spenser1058

57 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Until the ‘70’s, they had them. GOAA has also proposed it recently (probably to p**s Sanford off, but nevertheless...)

It’s not unprecedented. Supposedly old outdated airports like Love Field and Midway were expected to just fade away but carriers like Southwest had other ideas.

As Teddy Kennedy said, “...the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die!”

could they do it without too much push back from the community?

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

could they do it without too much push back from the community?

I suspect not, which is why GOAA has likely been hiding the whole thing under a bushel.

Heaven knows if they propose it, it’ll keep Commissioner Patty and some of the others busy!

Think about it though - we’re not talking jumbo jets or anything, just commuter flights to create an air bridge to places like St Pete/Clearwater, South Florida and Tallahassee. Think how much more convenient it could be.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Every time one of those larger private jets goes over my house I see dollar signs and opportunity... I like parks, but I think the idea of losing a great economic enhancer like Executive makes no sense.

If we want a really big park then buy the commercial/ industrial land bordering CW to enlarge Lorna Doone all the way from Tampa Ave to OBT and from Central to 408. I suspect that land could be had for a much more reasonable price than eliminating Executive and it would greatly improves the CW area and the tie to the Sports Entertainment area along Church.

Or, make a power grab for Cypress Grove Park at Holden and Orange. Its out of the way, but it borders city limits and is really pretty land.

Neither of those lands are as big as Executive, but they both make more sense.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The exciting news is that Herndon Airport is busier than ever- it’s the country’s 99th busiest airport!

There’s a problem, though - lead in some aviation fuel may be having an ill effect on those who live so close to Orlando’s original airport.

As usual, our city commissioners know nothing and Hizzoner passes the buck to the Feds, certainly nothing worth his time (even though he is a member of the aviation authority board).

Welcome to The City Beautiful (hopefully, your children will survive it!)

Health threat of leaded airplane gas is weighed nationally as flights rise at Orlando’s downtown airport
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/environment/os-prem-orlando-executive-airport-leaded-gas-20210131-mxwjfpf3gzekrhpd5deq6kqn4i-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The exciting news is that Herndon Airport is busier than ever- it’s the country’s 99th busiest airport!

There’s a problem, though - lead in some aviation fuel may be having an ill effect on those who live so close to Orlando’s original airport.

As usual, our city commissioners know nothing and Hizzoner passes the buck to the Feds, certainly nothing worth his time (even though he is a member of the aviation authority board).

Welcome to The City Beautiful (hopefully, your children will survive it!)

Health threat of leaded airplane gas is weighed nationally as flights rise at Orlando’s downtown airport
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/environment/os-prem-orlando-executive-airport-leaded-gas-20210131-mxwjfpf3gzekrhpd5deq6kqn4i-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The pessimism is starting to become a bit much. I appreciate the critical debate on the politicians and reps, but the hyperbole is unnecessary.

• Like 1