jliv

Redeveloping Orlando Executive Airport

I doubt that those who live in or near the takeoff and landing paths would think it's such a great idea.

I remember when I lived in TP,  occasionally those private jets would take off and land at night. It would literally drown out the TV.  

Imagine that happening several times every day day and evening.

While it would certainly behoove them to take neighborhood sentiment into consideration, I have to cry crocodile tears at anyone who doesn’t like airport noise who moved... next to an airport.

Heck, Herndon opened in 1928 (it’s even older than I am!) and has hosted commercial, military and general aviation aircraft.

When the shift was made away from commercial flights in the ‘70’s (for a brief time there were such flights at both Herndon and McCoy), it had to do more with justifying investments in both airports than anything else. While I’d have to research it, I don’t recall Carl Langford or anyone else ever saying there would never be another commercial flight at Herndon.

Particularly after older facilities like Love Field in Dallas and Midway in Chicago found new life for commercial flights, it’s been discussed here periodically over the years (I have no evidence on this, but I also think GOAA would love it just to stick a thumb in Sanford’s eye).

What eventually happens will be decided by GOAA, not the city (remember that while the Orlando Mayor is part of it, most appointments are made by the governor).

A compromise here would be most welcome.

Edited by spenser1058

I've lived in Thornton Park since 2005 and the planes have never bothered me.  During certain weather patterns (this is my guess), they fly directly over my house during the afternoon.

Just now, gibby said:

I've lived in Thornton Park since 2005 and the planes have never bothered me.  During certain weather patterns (this is my guess), they fly directly over my house during the afternoon.

Same here and I once lived just a block west of Bumby.