Neighborhood Names, Should they stay or go

CenterHill

I sent WW some info on the Wedgewood Houston Core project last week. Basically, this is the proposal below.

Need to add that proposal is for 475 units.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2014/041014/2014SP-016-001_plan.pdf

http://musiccityblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/developer-seeks-to-create-live-work-space-in-soho/

Looks like a good project for the area.    

Are we really going to start calling it Soho now?    What next, Little Italy?    The Flatiron District?     Seems a little forced.     I like it when cities have their own unique neighborhoods.     I'm fine with Wedgewood-Houston, actually, plus we already have a SoBro.    Same reason I want the Nations to stay the Nations and not "Historic West Town." 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we really going to start calling it Soho now?    What next, Little Italy?    The Flatiron District?     Seems a little forced.     I like it when cities have their own unique neighborhoods.     I'm fine with Wedgewood-Houston, actually, plus we already have a SoBro.    Same reason I want the Nations to stay the Nations and not "Historic West Town." 

Kind of agree.  SoBro is ok since Broadway is a major street.  But Houston street for SoHo?  Nah, Wedgewood-Houston is much better.

I came across an interesting article on 'Gentrification' and real estate sales peoples tendency to change historical neighborhood names. It is from a story written by Spike Lee about the changes in Brooklyn, NY. " The title; "You just can't come in and bogart!"

WARNING!! The language is pretty rough.

His take on changing historical neighborhood names...(quote edited for obvious reasons).

"These real estate motherf*#@%&s are changing names!...What the f@#* is that? How you changin' names?"

His comments on the 'Christopher Columbus Syndrome' do have a ring of truth to them. As a lifelong resident of this area I do harbor some resentment about people 

from all over the country coming in and  putting their on stamp on our traditions and disrespecting the contributions of people who made this place what it is.

Totally agree.  "Historic West Town" really irritates the crap out of me.  How they hell can "West Town" be "historic", if it didn't exist before two years ago?  

In all seriousness, I did pass the comments about SOHO and Historic West End along to WW. May be worth a little public debate.

I could see really see renaming parts of south Nashville in the Wedgewood area, and off of Nolensville Rd, the Nations as that is what it truly is there.

Could we justify changing Sylvan park to the States after the street names. I will start a separate thread for this discussion as it is relevant to what is happening in the City now.

Totally agree.  "Historic West Town" really irritates the crap out of me.  How they hell can "West Town" be "historic", if it didn't exist before two years ago?  

I do agree with you, it irritates me as well.  The Nations and Sylvan Park were originally one neighborhood commonly called West Town or New Town in the late 18 early 1900's, but they have had their current names for a hundred years now.

In all seriousness, I did pass the comments about SOHO and Historic West End along to WW. May be worth a little public debate.

I could see really see renaming parts of south Nashville in the Wedgewood area, and off of Nolensville Rd, the Nations as that is what it truly is there.

Could we justify changing Sylvan park to the States after the street names. I will start a separate thread for this discussion as it is relevant to what is happening in the City now.

No, no more renaming areas!  Wedgewood Houston is fine.  The neighborhood group has already put up signage!  Similarly, the neighborhoods along Nolensville already have established identities. 

I am a neighborhood leader, so I am biased, but I think that the neighborhood name needs to be selected by the neighborhood groups themselves, not the Realtors.  The neighborhood associations are the ones doing the work with litter pick-ups, crime watches and Nashville Next work sessions, etc.  The neighborhood groups are the ones who address crime, volunteer in the schools,  turn the areas around and make them nice places to live.  The Realtors then come in and cash in on that hard work by renaming the area as something more palatable to people moving here from California or whatever.

I do agree with you, it irritates me as well.  The Nations and Sylvan Park were originally one neighborhood commonly called West Town or New Town in the late 18 early 1900's, but they have had their current names for a hundred years now.

Correct.  The street names in Sylvan Park, et al, were renamed when that area was annexed to the City of Nashville about a century ago, when Nashville was also renaming its streets.  Nashville renamed the north-south streets in a numbering system around 1908 or something like that.  So when Sylvan Park came in to the city, the streets were more or less renamed to continue that numbering system.

Home sweet home! I was more Antioch than Brentwood though. Hung with my fair share of Brentwoodians/ites though :P!

Same here. I miss the old neighborhood. Hell, I still remember when Nipper's Corner was still Nipper's family nursery and that was all that was on that intersection.

I've noticed that at certain zoom levels on Google Maps you get the neighborhood names.   In some cases, I didn't even know the neighborhoods had names.     Always wondered who provides those to Google since they're not really official names and, as this discussion shows, there's not always universal agreement on the names.   Anyone know?

Right.    I did notice that the pro-Nations people got to Google first and were able to get the Nations label hovering over their neighborhood.      

And this is kind of funny.   The Governor probably thought he lives in Oak Hill, but Google Maps has "MELROSE" centered directly over the Governor's mansion.    Google humor. 

• 5 months later...

I came across an interesting article on 'Gentrification' and real estate sales peoples tendency to change historical neighborhood names. It is from a story written by Spike Lee about the changes in Brooklyn, NY. " The title; "You just can't come in and bogart!"

WARNING!! The language is pretty rough.

His take on changing historical neighborhood names...(quote edited for obvious reasons).

"These real estate motherf*#@%&s are changing names!...What the f@#* is that? How you changin' names?"

His comments on the 'Christopher Columbus Syndrome' do have a ring of truth to them. As a lifelong resident of this area I do harbor some resentment about people 

from all over the country coming in and  putting their on stamp on our traditions and disrespecting the contributions of people who made this place what it is.

Thought it might be appropriate to re-post this regarding the 'Demonbruen Hill' conversation going on in another topic thread..

Archived