1201 Demonbreun, Eakin Building, 15 stories, 285,000 sq. ft. office space, $97 million

MidTenn1

Although there is no official announcement, the various arrows are starting to point toward a very possible groundbreaking this summer. But, while the scope of the project itself is not real clear, (12, 15 or 20 stories), the publicly posted rendering at the site shows this 20+ story proposal.

Eakin5_zps37f74479.jpg

Another old rendering.

Eakin20_zpsf7077083.jpg

And the dramatic, night view older rendering (the most impressive)...

Eakin3_zps852cc765.jpg

It would sit catty-corner on the same lot as the recently topped out 23 story Twelve/Twelve building, slightly west and north of it as shown in these renderings

Eakin4_zps8206bc16.png

Eakin2_zps6b6228b5.jpg

The various arrows mentioned include:

• A published report in the Tennessean on rampant speculation from the real estate community concerning a July start.
  • Efforts by the proposed contractor to update his estimates, per the Tennessean article.
  • Core drilling activity in the last few days as reported in this forum.
  • A non-denial from the developer regarding the story.

The question about the scale of the building stems from an earlier depiction of a proposed 12 story building (as seen here)...

Eakin15_zps62fb0a00.jpg

...and the mention in the Tennessean article that the proposed building is to be a 15 story building. That would explain the need for an updated estimate.

While I hope this is not another West End Summit wild goose chase, I thought it might be time to start a separate topic about it. I suppose we will know more one way or the other soon.

• Like 3

I was discussing this with Kevin last night. I believe construction is eminent. I am not being overly optimistic nor will I be too cautiously doubtful, but I bet this is happening. Gulch Crossings is well underway, and WES is not. We have very little office space available, and The Gulch is so tied into downtown now, that the separation is minimal. The Gulch IS downtown now.

Edited by Urban Architecture

Soooo, what building is in the background in this render below? It looks to me like the 20 story Eakin tower does it not? Are we sure this smaller building isn't part of the Eakin tower and seperate building on the same lot? Maybe Eakin partners are throwing around the idea of two seperate buildings as part of this project... :dontknow:

Eakin15_zps62fb0a00.jpg

Soooo, what building is in the background in this render below? It looks to me like the 20 story Eakin tower does it not? Are we sure this smaller building isn't part of the Eakin tower and seperate building on the same lot? Maybe Eakin partners are throwing around the idea of two seperate buildings as part of this project... :dontknow:

That's always been the confusing thing to me about that particular rendering, but in any case, there have been times where I've been working on projects and I've been told to use a certain concept as just a place holder for a rendering. I think they took the original Eakin design (or whichever is in that rendering) to use for the condo/apartment tower (just for scale and massing purposes) and then used the new rendering for the office tower in the forground. 

Yes, there was a plan that was proposed by Eakins Partners. I was not a real fan of the design. I have the rendering somewhere, but it is probably buried in one of the threads on the board. 

Are you referring to this? Its the first rendering I remember.

Eakin6_zps8d66b4a1.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

I thought I remember this was an 18 story proposal. Well, so much for office towers in downtown now if The Gulch is getting them all. The Pinnace may have been the last office tower constructed downtown.

Of Course one could argue 12th Avenue IS  downtown as I stated in  previous post, but the CBD has seen it's last office towers unless someone sells one of the remaining surface lots.

I thought I remember this was an 18 story proposal. Well, so much for office towers in downtown now if The Gulch is getting them all. The Pinnace may have been the last office tower constructed downtown.

Of Course one could argue 12th Avenue IS  downtown as I stated in  previous post, but the CBD has seen it's last office towers unless someone sells one of the remaining surface lots.

Well, there are a few ways of looking at this.

First of all, downtown already has quite a bit of office development. On top of that, it seems that a lot of proposals are in the 200-400k range for office space, not the 700-1,000k that you would really want to see downtown. I think the big issue here is having one big time tenant to take up a majority of the space (505 hasn't been able to find a tenant, and we know what happened to WES, though that isn't even downtown).

Along with this, we are seeing the office vacancy rates drop in the downtown area, which is a good thing. I think these Gulch offices are filling a need without going 'big'. I think it reflects that a lot of the businesses that currently need space don't need giant blocks of it, so these buildings are more suitable and easier to finance, construct, and fill. Having this smaller scale office availability will also help us keep some of these businesses from choosing the suburbs out of necessity, so I think it's a good thing.

Also, yes, you can argue that The Gulch and SoBro are downtown neighborhoods, as the city considers most of what is inside the interstate loop, and south of Jefferson, to be 'downtown'.

I am confident that another office tower will rise in the CBD. It's a matter of the right stars aligning and attracting a large business that wants to be downtown, not elsewhere.

• Like 1

I don't agree that we've seen the end of downtown office towers. They will come. What we see happening now is a rapid expansion of the central business district to include Sobro, the Gulch and soon the north side of Charlotte with the Boyle/NWM development.

If I had to prioritize, I'd rather see more vertical residential projects downtown along the lines of The Sobro. But with all of this, there will be an increasing need/demand for transportation options from the downtown core to the surrounding communities, N, S, E and W. At some point, the lack of public transportation and the absence of any community will to address it will impact the ability to recruit tenants to the CBD and the desirability of future residential development. I really hope we can find common ground to address this city's transportation needs.

• Like 3

I don't agree that we've seen the end of downtown office towers. They will come. What we see happening now is a rapid expansion of the central business district to include Sobro, the Gulch and soon the north side of Charlotte with the Boyle/NWM development.

If I had to prioritize, I'd rather see more vertical residential projects downtown along the lines of The Sobro. But with all of this, there will be an increasing need/demand for transportation options from the downtown core to the surrounding communities, N, S, E and W. At some point, the lack of public transportation and the absence of any community will to address it will impact the ability to recruit tenants to the CBD and the desirability of future residential development. I really hope we can find common ground to address this city's transportation needs.

There are plenty of surface lots on Church Street for vertical residential. Tony had proposals a while back for at least three on different lots, but those never materialized. This could be 20 years down the road I am afraid.

John, go back to your cave and come back with a happy attitude or I will not let you clean the pizza boxes with the garlic sauce any more when you have a pizza day at work.

Do I smell garlic.

Garlic is gone now...refer to my facebook page to see this story! In any case, maybe not 20 years but 5-10. Remember several parts of downtown are not zoned residential yet.

Still wondering to see if perhaps the 15 floors being quoted from Eakin might be for the tower itself, as separate from the base. Obviously, I don't know. However, I recall the floors that had been quoted for the Omni said 20-story, when that did not count the four story base (and 1 floor powerplant).  Just guessing that maybe the drawing is what it will look like.  Isn't the base around 4 floors?  Together that would be 19 floors plus parapet. 

• Like 1

Still wondering to see if perhaps the 15 floors being quoted from Eakin might be for the tower itself, as separate from the base. Obviously, I don't know. However, I recall the floors that had been quoted for the Omni said 20-story, when that did not count the four story base (and 1 floor powerplant).  Just guessing that maybe the drawing is what it will look like.  Isn't the base around 4 floors?  Together that would be 19 floors plus parapet. 

Will still be 150-200 feet. Nice height for the hill it will sit on. 15x12= 180 feet plus roof and cap. I am guessing 190-200 feet. A nice project none the less.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...