1201 Demonbreun, Eakin Building, 15 stories, 285,000 sq. ft. office space, $97 million

MidTenn1

True to an extent, but this is also on the developers, as I've said before. Don't want an in town look? Don't go with an in town designer. 

I'm much more willing to sacrifice design for pedestrian traffic and a big city feel in a neighborhood. The Gulch while not architecturally amazing is shaping up to be an actual live, work, play neighborhood. 

For the under 30 wealthy yes you are right..... I saw an obviously very wealthy young woman throw away a half eaten salad in the Turnip Truck last weekend, while there were hungry homeless outside the door. She did not have a clue. Must not have a clue when you spend daddy's money and not your own.

I'll take the working class under 30's on the East Side. I watch them feed the homeless, not throw away perfectly good food daddy paid for.

For the under 30 wealthy yes you are right..... I saw an obviously very wealthy young woman throw away a half eaten salad in the Turnip Truck last weekend, while there were hungry homeless outside the door. She did not have a clue. Must not have a clue when you spend daddy's money and not your own.

I'll take the working class under 30's on the East Side. I watch them feed the homeless, not throw away perfectly good food daddy paid for.

To be honest, I've offered to buy food for many homeless before and they look at me like I'm crazy - not to say all have the same intention or are in the same circumstance.

Some don't want food. Some want money for booze or drugs.

There are a lot of services available to the homeless. Some choose not to take advantage of them.

True. I was in Portland a few weeks back and there were numerous services set up downtown offering food to the homeless. I was rocking my mountain man beard and apparently looked kinda rough because I was asked if I was hungry (while sitting in a park that had quite a few homeless people, but I was playing on my smart phone wearing clean clothes...I took that as a sign that I needed to shave). I don't think the typical homeless person has a cell phone, but I've seen a few. 

When I was working downtown in Memphis I quite often would keep a couple of gallon size ziplock bags with a couple of protein bars, toothpaste and toothbrush, cereal bars, etc. in my Jeep in case I saw someone who might want one. 

Once again I've taken a good thread and made it off topic. Apologies, guys.

Edited by arkitekte

• 4 weeks later...

Urban Architecture, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Still does not explain a little rich girl throwing away perfectly good food so she does not gain weight on her 20 inch waistline.

wrqFM5m.gif

So are they still digging on this one?

Edited by mirydi

^Sweet! 

That will be an awful lot of cranes in that area with 1515, Gulch Crossings, Eakin, the Westin and possibly the Thompson hotel. Although the cranes might be coming down for Gulch Crossings before too long. Looks to be pretty close to being topped out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the crane, along with a slightly more complete Gulch Crossings:

IMG_0381.jpg

I'll try to get a shot of the view down Demonbreun from street-level later today.

I don't know why, but I love that old steel frame billboard on the building to the right. It adds some visual interest to that area.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention this yesterday,

Tuesday night I was on my way to Flying Saucer and while at the light on Demonbreun and 12th I suddenly remembered there was a new crane to see. I couldnt see it at all, so I finally opened my sunroof and I was literally directly under it.  It was kind of frightening to be honest.

• Like 1