How to fix Baton Rouge

timelordnerd

I was torn at first, and maybe even for St. George, but now I'm leaning toward keeping Baton Rouge together.  A city the size of Baton Rouge would do better growing as a whole. The split would be beneficial to St. George(and only in the sense of creating schools), not for Baton Rouge in any way.  It would cut tax dollars out of Baton Rouge schools and make them even worse.  I can never support anything that hurts the city Baton Rouge.  BR is the center, the core of the region. If BR suffers so does "St. George" and everyone else.  A large part of what makes Baton Rouge attractive is because of what the southeast area offers in shopping and quality of life, demographics etc.  If you make that technically separate from Baton Rouge, then what is Baton Rouge? where is its wealth? Where is its shopping?   etc?

Has anyone thought about dissolving what we know as EBRPS and trying a charter system?  It seems to have worked well in New Orleans, considering.

Thanks for dropping by BRPJ...Always nice to read your solid post!

Looks like SE BR may get more autonomy of a possible new sub-district for the schools..state legislation was seeking approval possibly...but not sure if that will be enough to stop St. George?  They need 18,000 signatures on the petition; now they have btwn 12-14,000....looks like they will reach it. Then it would go on ballot probably in November....the outcome FOR/AGAINST would be interesting. Signs in my neighborhood look almost "split".

If BR decides to annex Perkins Rowe/Mall of La area....St. George will take them to court. Not sure how that might pan out?? I just wonder why that was not annexed 15 years ago... 

There is a growing charter system taking place...not sure if that's just a Band-Aid...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just feel like the people who are for St. George are being a bit short sighted.  I understand wanting the best for your own children, but it's like what about the other kids in Baton Rouge?  And beyond that, what about how the split affects Baton Rouge economically and fiscally?  I don't even think the proponents have a real interest in running a new city with that type of population or having an Identity.  They probably will just default to BR Chamber of Commerce in terms of seeking business.  If it were truly about being separate because of cultural and identity reasons I could understand.  But it seems like they are biting off the arm to fix a wound, rather than healing the wound, however dirty.

I haven't heard anything about a sub district but if that can keep St. George residents happy and keep the city together I'll be interested to hear more about it and perhaps see it succeed. I think Baton Rouge should have annexed all lands to the south decades ago.  Even though the attitude in the south would be against this now, leadership should be thinking of ways to bring citizens together and making the community feel whole, so that eventually they can make moves towards this.  Big things are happening in the state and in the BR region. Water campus, film industry, tech, oil and gas, and many other things. We could possibly see big growth in the next decade.  A larger Baton Rouge proper population makes a better case for federal dollars and I think we should stick together.

There are mixed signals about Charter Schools.  It seems in New Orleans though, the district is doing much better than pre Katrina.  If after all this time 50% of BR schools are still failing, they need to try something drastic at this point.

Yeah...in my mind that should be Kips #1 priority, not the government street stuff, or Miss USA. While I do talk about the city hosting larger events and fixing run-down areas schools could go a long way in getting those types of projects off the ground. Just wish Kip realized that. 

Yet if you look at Dallas and Houston Proper they are roughly the size of BR and St. George combined. We are not large enough to support two cities that would be in such close proximity and economic competition. Like I told it'sjustme3, we need to fix the school system and our schools. 

Dallas and Houston Proper are over 1 million residents (Houston over 2). Baton Rouge and St. George combined are less than 500,000. Not really the same size at all.

Dallas and Houston Proper are over 1 million residents (Houston over 2). Baton Rouge and St. George combined are less than 500,000. Not really the same size at all.

BR Metro (which is the unincorporated portion of the city) had 1 million in 2012, it's only grown since then. 

BR Metro (which is the unincorporated portion of the city) had 1 million in 2012, it's only grown since then. 

I don't know where you got this information but it's incorrect in a number of ways.

The Baton Rouge Metro area has a population of 805k as of the 2010 census. The CSA includes Pierre Part which brings it up to roughly 825k. East Baton Rouge Parish sits at 440k.

I don't know where you got this information but it's incorrect in a number of ways.

The Baton Rouge Metro area has a population of 805k as of the 2010 census. The CSA includes Pierre Part which brings it up to roughly 825k. East Baton Rouge Parish sits at 440k.

The 228K is still only factoring the city proper, so a 500K or so with St. George? 

St.George would have a little over 107,000...add BR's 230,000(2012) = 337,000....Antrell's 228k for BR in 2010 "official"

If you were to add Merrydale & Monticello to the north(approx. 15,000)....BR's city proper would have 352,000

Ah, sorry I had my information wrong guys.

Archived