Creative brainstorming: future purposes for parking garages

UTgrad09

This is a 'just for fun' topic. No concept is off-limits. Not intended to be a debate. Not an anti-car thread. Just be creative.

Just imagine, at some point in the future, technology has made the automobile obsolete. Obviously this will have major implications on other infrastructure that cars or other transit uses, but let's leave that alone right now (perhaps later in the thread we can go there).

Obviously surface lots can be easily redeveloped, but parking garages -- especially those attached, or at the base of buildings, would become needless shells. What possibilities can you think of for the adaptive reuse of space for hundreds of thousands of square feet of concrete and steel that no longer has a use, but remains structurally vital for existing buildings?

Obviously, for office buildings, you could say the space could be converted to more office space, or for hotels, perhaps meeting rooms or other space. What about residential garages? Public garages? 

My first offering would be urban hydroponic farming. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to convert the existing infrastructure (water pipes, electrical connections) to offer large areas of urban farming. Imagine the library garage becoming rows and rows of hydroponics. I would bet you could feed the entire city with the farming possibilities that come out of that.

Your turn.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UTGrad,

Before I even read your post (while just thinking about the thread title), the first thing that came to my mind was urban gardens. I'm not sure of the structural needs for an urban garden, but I would bet it would be an easy retrofit. You've got downward grading for drainage. Plenty of electrical for lighting. Sprinkler systems already in place (in many cases). Open air siding. I think it's the perfect use.

Other than gardens. I find it hard to think of other uses. It would be hard to retrofit for office or residential since a significant portion of garages are on a steep slope. I guess they could be used as giant mausoleums. We are going to run out of burial plots sooner or later.

Burial plots....what a waste of real estate! When I'm dead, just toss me in the fire, grind up my bones, and mix the ash with cement.

I heard a story on the radio about a company that cremates bodies but turns the ashes into semi-precious stones that loved ones can wear as jewelry.

Burial plots....what a waste of real estate! When I'm dead, just toss me in the fire, grind up my bones, and mix the ash with cement.[/quote

Any particular type structure you would like that cement used in? You'd better be specific or you might end up as a storm water drain or a light pole base. Or even worse.....Stucco!

Burial plots....what a waste of real estate! When I'm dead, just toss me in the fire, grind up my bones, and mix the ash with cement.

Any particular type structure you would like that cement used in? You'd better be specific or you might end up as a storm water drain or a light pole base. Or even worse.....Stucco!

Why should I care? I'll be dead!

I am with you on that. And while we are on the subject of a waste of real estate, I have to say golf courses fit the bill. I can't stand them or the game. I will probably get flack over that, but that's just how I feel. They will end up going the way of the dinosaurs out west because of water usage and shortages. Golf courses should be lowest priority for water usage.

Another issue on water usage is designing more efficient irrigation systems for the farmland that is in areas that are prone to drought. Oh well, just random thoughts of a crazy guy that hates golf.

I am with you on that. And while we are on the subject of a waste of real estate, I have to say golf courses fit the bill. I can't stand them or the game. I will probably get flack over that, but that's just how I feel. They will end up going the way of the dinosaurs out west because of water usage and shortages. Golf courses should be lowest priority for water usage.

Another issue on water usage is designing more efficient irrigation systems for the farmland that is in areas that are prone to drought. Oh well, just random thoughts of a crazy guy that hates golf.

I don't mind golf courses or the game. In a sense, a golf course is like manicured green space. It can be aesthetically pleasing for an area. Sometimes they just blend in. Harpeth Hills (in Percy Warner Park) is a good example of that. When not in use, it just appears to be a nice open field. I would much rather see that view than see a bunch of large houses plopped on the land.

I like how Metro has a lot of their golf courses integrated into other parks. I'm not such a fan of golfing developments where the courses are lined with houses...but that's a personal preference.

As for water usage, I agree. We don't have such critical water issues as some cities (Whorelanta being one), but during droughts, it can still be an issue...and as Nashville continues to grow, it is one we should watch. We need to make sure it is not wasted...which is one big positive to hydroponic farming (as suggested in my OP)...urban farming could be done with a highly efficient use of water

^Obama and Bubba Clinton would have you sent to the gulag for that crazy talk. How else would they spend most of their time as President ? Without golf courses, where would O.J. Simpson have gone looking for the "real killers" ? <_<

Only you could find a way to work THAT into a conversation about golf and parking garages.  :dontknow:

Archived