The largest state-to-state migration flows from 1995 to 2000 include:

New York to Florida: 308,230

N.Y. to New Jersey: 206,979

California to Nevada: 199,125

California to Arizona: 186,151

California to Texas: 182,789

Florida to Georgia: 157,423

WHO'S STAYING WHERE

States with the highest rates of net domestic migration, meaning more people entered the state than left it, from 1995 to 2000:

1. Nevada

2. Arizona

3. Georgia

4. North Carolina

5. Florida

6. Colorado

-- Source: Census Bureau

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very interesting stuff.  I'd love to see the complete list.  Florida seems like a great place to live, especially near the beach.  I wonder why so many leave.  Hurricanes?  Expensive near the water? weird politics? too many seniors?

I have read something previously about Florida and retirement. It stated that one of the reasons that places like North Carolina and the Ozarks in Arkansas were becoming more attractive was simply the miserably hot and humid summers that characterize much of Florida, and that some seniors from the north would rather tolerate the mildly chilly winters of those other places than Florida summers.

As a former longtime resident of New Orleans, I can attest that life pretty much comes to a standstill from May through late September, at least in terms of many outdoor activities.

Thanks for the link, DruidCity.

Michigan lost 16,018 young people between 1995 & 2000 :(. I will be one of the young people moving out...It's far too cold here. Nevertheless, I can see how state & city leaders are worried...all our young people are leaving for other areas of the country. It seems most young people who leave the Detroit metro leave for other large cities with more opportunities, such as Chicago or Minneapolis, or they head for the sunbelt.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting stuff. I'd love to see the complete list. Florida seems like a great place to live, especially near the beach. I wonder why so many leave. Hurricanes? Expensive near the water? weird politics? too many seniors?

A lot move here expecting it to be a small tropical and laid back paradise only to find out this State's major metropolitan areas are just as big and congested as the places they left. So they end up moving to a state in the same region that offers the slower lifestyle they seek.

• 3 weeks later...

Florida seems like a nice place to live, but in reality it really sucks. I'm speaking specifically of central and norther florida. South Florida has a vibe all to itself.

Everytime I visit the Tampa area. I get so depress, the development is rampant with strip malls everywhere. There's no urbanity or culture. Not to mention there's not a lot of jobs/industry outside of tourism.

Florida seems like a nice place to live, but in reality it really sucks. I'm speaking specifically of central and norther florida. South Florida has a vibe all to itself.

Everytime I visit the Tampa area. I get so depress, the development is rampant with strip malls everywhere. There's no urbanity or culture. Not to mention there's not a lot of jobs/industry outside of tourism.

I've heard that from a lot of my family who have moved down there. The cookie cutter houses...the malls...the traffic....they moved down there to get away to a paradise. The weather is great, but now that everyone has all moved down there, they are realizing that it's not as great as they originally thought, given the sprawl & the hectic lifestyle that comes with it.

I have to disagree. Florida is a great place to live, out of all the places I've visited across this country, I've come to the conclusion that there's no place like home. There's jobs all over the place, you just have to have an education to get one. I make a pretty good living down here and I've never had a problem finding a job. There's urbanity and culture to be found in all of the state's major cities and in my photo threads I try to show that. I'll admit that we do have our problems with sprawl, but even cities like NYC and Chicago have their problems too. I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure. And another thing, when you have people mass immigrating to the state at the numbers we're putting up, you're bound to lose few.

Here are a couple of pics taken from Florida cities, not located in South Florida, as you can see, there's a lot more than suburban strip malls waiting to be dicovered.

L-AdamsStreet-center-west.jpg

central-avenue-1.jpg

franklin-street.jpg

hillsborough-river-skyline.jpg

san-marco-square-8.jpg

FedCourthouse-Plaza.jpg

Guest donaltopablo

I wouldn't say Florida sucks in general. I personally did not enjoy my time living in Florida, although certainly some of the circumstances around it played a factor. I also lived in Orlando, and feel if I had go to another city more to my likeing (i.e. Miami) I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

However, I will say Florida is not for everyone. In fact, I think a lot of people have this imagine of Florida being a wonderland, and it's not. They realize it has the same problems everywhere else does, except maybe the weather.

But I also know a lot of people that just love Florida. They love being near that much water, they love the generally low cost of living, they love the laid back attitude that many Floridans have.

Certainly one of those places that won't appeal to as many people as it does appeal to.

Archived