Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EastownLeo

McGraw Tire - Closing - 141 Wealthy St SE

12 posts in this topic

Looks like McGraw Tire is closing. They recently had an auction for much of the interior equipment.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/2037442.html

The building has some very interesting details, not much has changed in many years.

Should be interesting to see what it might become. Or torn down for more medical/hospital expansion.

I remember reading an article about the building but not sure where it was now.

Someone PLEASE buy this before St. Mary's gets their hands on it and turns it into a parking lot!

Good. I stopped using them thanks to the time they decided to close early on a Friday, locked my car (yes I have one) up inside all weekend.

Guaranteed parking lot. Anyone want to bet on this one? :)

Joe

Joe

My grandma always use to say "I don't remember who you are." She had Alzheimer's. But if she didn't, she would of told me to not place bets you can't win.

Page 39 in this issue of GR Magazine.

http://issuu.com/grmag/docs/october2012

Gawd, I hate those online flipbook things. :)

Joe

I would have guessed parking too Joe. Maybe with a rendering of a building that will come 20 years from now. ;)

Edit: the property was purchased by Mary Free Bed on Feb 19th for $895,000. About 1/3 of an acre (assuming the building has no value to Mary Free Bed).

Gawd, I hate Mary Free Bed! 

It would be nice to have some sort of commercial development on the edge of Heritage Hill, but with those cash-rich hospitals there paying ridiculous prices for anything their tentacles can touch, I fear it will never, ever happen.  I would rather have almost anything there other than those hospitals.  Even parking lots.  At least that would present some semblance of redevelopment opportunity.  By paying such outrageous prices, the hospitals completely preclude that. 

Do you hear me, hospitals?  You are NOT good neighbors.

Gawd, I hate those online flipbook things. :)

Edit: the property was purchased by Mary Free Bed on Feb 19th for $895,000. About 1/3 of an acre (assuming the building has no value to Mary Free Bed).

I don't hate Mary Free Bed, but I do agree, they don't seem to make good neighbors. Walled fortresses are more like it. Anyone know of any examples of hospitals that blend into / enhance the urban environment around them?

It is pretty unfortunate. It's like the food court in Spectrum, it'd be nice if they would have tried to integrate this into the streetscape. But instead it is buried in the bowels of the building. :(

Joe

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!  :wacko:

These people are just killing this area! One of the most key parts of the central city is split between the Catholic church and St. Mary's/Free Bed, neither of which has demonstrated the ability to do anything but demolish buildings, make parking lots, and erect really cheap-looking bunkers.

This area could have served as the connector between DT, Heritage Hill, State Street, Heartside, and the emerging areas south of Wealthy. What a waste if this building goes down too. There simply cannot be that many people that need a parking spot!

I don't hate Mary Free Bed, but I do agree, they don't seem to make good neighbors. Walled fortresses are more like it. Anyone know of any examples of hospitals that blend into / enhance the urban environment around them?

It is pretty unfortunate. It's like the food court in Spectrum, it'd be nice if they would have tried to integrate this into the streetscape. But instead it is buried in the bowels of the building. :(

Joe

The Children's Hospital at Northwestern University:

lurie2-big.jpg

I find the Northwestern Children's Hospital to be somewhat imposing as well. While it fits much nicer into the urban area, when we walked through that area it was still very much a ghost town of "hospital only" activities. Maybe it has changed since the last time I've been through?

Joe