FINALLY! Government Street Redesign

timelordnerd

All from WBRZ: 

"BATON ROUGE - City-parish officials revealed plans Wednesday to redesign Government Street in Baton Rouge from a four-lane road to a two-lane highway with a dedicated turning lane and bicycle lanes.

Mayor Kip Holden said the multi-million dollar project, which stretches from I-110 to Lobdell Avenue, will be covered entirely by the state. Government is the first highway to be redesigned after it was transferred from state control to the city-parish.

"I've always believed if there are problems with traffic flow or safety, the public doesn't care if it's a state or local road - they just want it fixed," Holden said. "That's why with both the Green Light Program and this transfer, our goal has been to address our most critical needs."

Merchants in Mid-City think the changes will mean big business for the corridor.

"I would estimate that every store and business along Government Street will see a 20-30 percent increase in sales, just from making Government Street a destination, a safer place to be, it's going to attract all kinds of attention," said Gordon Mese, who runs Garden District Nursery on Government.

Travis Hans, the owner of Mid-City Bikes hopes the move will improve the neighborhood.

"I believe in Mid-City, that's why I'm here, that's why I live in this neighborhood, that's why I set my shop up, that's why I try not to leave Mid-City if I can help it, it's the most pleasant part of Baton Rouge to me," said Hans.

City officials believe adding a turning lane will reduce the number of wrecks seen on Government Street. Holden said Government sees about 270 crashes each year between Jefferson Highway and the interstate, most of which are rear end or left turn crashes and near-wrecks.

"Being able to flow and not having to worry about getting run over by traffic or slowing down, it's easier for people to get in and out, it gives it more of a neighborhood feel and that's what we've been trying to do this for the last 20 years, so it can be more pedestrian friendly, where you can walk around, hang out," said Brian Medlin, who owns Smokin' Aces BBQ.

The project would get underway immediately with construction starting by the end of 2014 or early 2015 and completed by the end of 2015.

I'm expecting it to be completed by Summer 2016, definitely not the end of 2015. 

L_GovernmentDesignOverlay_1.png

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost posted this in Mid City thread....& started a OLD Government St. thread waay back in 07' (pg8)...but has been locked into the archives.... :ermm: lol

Wow...270 crashes every year! Are they going to reduce the speed limit to 35 MPH?  Looks like a cool plan...but some are pretty upset about this. Should be interesting to watch this unfold....surprised they are extending the project past Jefferson Hwy all the way to Lobdell

I almost posted this in Mid City thread....& started a OLD Government St. thread waay back in 07' (pg8)...but has been locked into the archives.... :ermm: lol

Wow...270 crashes every year! Are they going to reduce the speed limit to 35 MPH?  Looks like a cool plan...but some are pretty upset about this. Should be interesting to watch this unfold....surprised they are extending the project past Jefferson Hwy all the way to Lobdell

Maybe Kip is trying to bring some improvements into St. George as an effort to end the incorporation stuff, he could say: "look we are investing into that area of town, we just renovated your roads". Yeah because that's what St. George wants, new roads, not a better school system (sarcastic tone). 

Can't wait to see what it will look like when finished. This will tie in great with the Greenway.

It goes down Jefferson which falls in the St. George lines. 

The project is all on Government St, no? That's all in Baton Rouge. The part of Jefferson Hwy from Government St to College Dr is also in Baton Rouge.

It'll definitely be interesting.  It seems crowded a lot of the time.  And they're really almost starting from scratch if they want it to be like Magazine Street. 

The only thing that will make it like Magazine is the amount of restaurants and shops. It's far too much of a commuter road for a true Magazine St feel.

Archived