American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

With the upcoming renovations to widen the playing field and the continuing work being done to save this crumbling venue, news about plans and funding should begin surfacing within the next few months.  The MLL Hounds ownership expects that by this time next year the field width will be ready and artificial playing turf will be installed, in time for the re-branded USL franchise's (Queen City SC) first game. I believe the transfer of ownership (and money, I think) will not happen until the conclusion of the Charlotte Eagles final game this year.

The Charlotte Hounds will occupy the stadium through early August, so I expect that construction would be planned between Late August 2014 and March 2015.  Ownership has said that all changes to the stadium will be privately funded.

All that said, here is a past rendering, from Charmeck.org, from a couple years back of what they could do to widen the field.

post-29157-0-12261200-1395424685_thumb.p

And here is a video from a few years ago about the history of American Legion Memorial Stadium and Charlottes first professional franchise, the Carolina Lightning, that someone posted on twitter today.

Edited by MilZ
  • Like 4

I get why they're doing turf for now, but it's too bad they can't have real grass. Super-excited for Eagles games there though.

And soccer-related, with the Eastland Mall site opening back up, I wonder if the new Eagles owner is looking at that site for an MLS stadium... I think I would be if I were him.

I get why they're doing turf for now, but it's too bad they can't have real grass. Super-excited for Eagles games there though.

And soccer-related, with the Eastland Mall site opening back up, I wonder if the new Eagles owner is looking at that site for an MLS stadium... I think I would be if I were him.

The future owners say they want to keep everything at Memorial Stadium, and that Memorial Stadium, its location, and its history would be one of their major pitches in luring an MLS franchise into Charlotte by 2020.  MLS also has been very keen on downtown stadiums for expansion teams.

Once the streetcar Lynx Gold Line is up and running Memorial Stadium will become very easy for everyone (even the drunk) to get to. Once its cleaned up a bit it can be a very nice venue.

While I am glad the improvements are being funded by the owners of the Hounds / QCSC, Memorial seems like a much better place to spend city dollars than BoJangles. Think about how far $51 million could have gone with 1) internal improvements to Memorial, 2) incidental improvements to the neighborhood (nighttime activity in particular) and 3) attracting events that have a broader community-wide interest than BoJangles can.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

I don't mean to propose Eastland Mall as a better site than Memorial, as a fan I actually love the idea of an MLS team playing at Memorial, I was just wondering if the owner might think Eastland (and a brand-new stadium) would be a better site. But if he can make Memorial work as an legitimate stadium and not "it's all we have, so...," that's great news. 

• Like 1

I thought there were plans for a new stadium on the site? Just a proposal I guess?

The new stadium proposal is one of the options that has been discussed over the past few years.  But as far as I know only necessary construction/demolition has been approved and moved forward.  

• 1 month later...

Tweet from @QueenCitySC yesterday:

"Meeting with @MeckParkRec tomorrow on next steps to making pro soccer a reality at Memorial Stadium."

I'm really curious of how they go about expanding the field. They need to add at least 25-30 yards of width, which means dramatic changes to the north (or both) stands along the sidelines.

I don't mean to propose Eastland Mall as a better site than Memorial, as a fan I actually love the idea of an MLS team playing at Memorial, I was just wondering if the owner might think Eastland (and a brand-new stadium) would be a better site. But if he can make Memorial work as an legitimate stadium and not "it's all we have, so...," that's great news. 

Regarding MLS, the cost of an expansion team keeps rising.  Orlando and Atlanta are paying $70 Million franchise fees for their teams while NYC FC is paying $100 Million.  Miami is next after that.  Any potential owner needs to have deep pockets = $$$...

As kermit and others have said, the city would probably prefer the Legion site given the fact they are pumping money into the streetcar Lynx Gold Line which is walking distance from the stadium.

Edited by ChessieCat

I'm really curious of how they go about expanding the field. They need to add at least 25-30 yards of width, which means dramatic changes to the north (or both) stands along the sidelines.

I believe Cal recently updated their stadium and removed some rows at field level. It was part of a major renovation project (the stadium literally straddles a fault line). So while it can be done, I do wonder if it would require a big overhaul of at least one side of the stadium.  Given the age and questionable shape Legion is in, would it make sense just to do a complete tear-down and rebuild over a couple of years?

didn't you post a rendering of this  21 March 2014 - 01:01 PM?

Edited by archiham04

didn't you post a rendering of this  21 March 2014 - 01:01 PM?

Yes, but that rendering was also a proposal a few years old. I believe it was more conceptual than anything, so that people had a general idea of the option vs other stadium renovations. If I had to guess what they'd do this round, I would think only the north stands would be downsized, as those are already torn up right now as the stadium tries to get back up to code. Just a guess though.

Regarding MLS, the cost of an expansion team keeps rising.  Orlando and Atlanta are paying $70 Million franchise fees for their teams while NYC FC is paying $100 Million.  Miami is next after that.  Any potential owner needs to have deep pockets = $$$...

As kermit and others have said, the city would probably prefer the Legion site given the fact they are pumping money into the streetcar Lynx Gold Line which is walking distance from the stadium.

By the way, the tweet referred to "pro soccer" not MLS.  There's a difference.  Both USLPro and NASL are also pro leagues.  And if I remember correctly, the Queen City SC group will be affiliated with the USLPro league (Division 3 in the US soccer pyramid) starting with the 2015 season after the switchover from the Charlotte Eagles.

And speaking of the Eagles, I'm looking forward to the RailHawks thoroughly dismantling the little club in the US Open Cup next Wednesday.  :D

Three thoughts:

1. I'm glad that the Charlotte Eagles are making this move. I've never once been to a game or cared about that team. If they move to Memorial Stadium I will definitely go to some games!
  2. Queen City SC is a somewhat hilarious name to me, only because I read SC as South Carolina, not Soccer Club. IMO, "Queen City FC" would have made more sense.
  3. Are there any details available about the construction? Adding 20-30 yards is fairly substantial. Part of what gives that location its nostalgic feel is the old stonework. I hope that any expansion or upgrade would include replacement stonework to keep the feel of that stadium in tact.

Three thoughts:

1. I'm glad that the Charlotte Eagles are making this move. I've never once been to a game or cared about that team. If they move to Memorial Stadium I will definitely go to some games!
  2. Queen City SC is a somewhat hilarious name to me, only because I read SC as South Carolina, not Soccer Club. IMO, "Queen City FC" would have made more sense.
  3. Are there any details available about the construction? Adding 20-30 yards is fairly substantial. Part of what gives that location its nostalgic feel is the old stonework. I hope that any expansion or upgrade would include replacement stonework to keep the feel of that stadium in tact.

Pardon my french, but f*ck soccer teams that go with FC. This is America, and the game you play with your feet is called soccer... Agree with you somewhat on the SC connotation. And I still think that Burg was on point with Bayern Mecklenburg, although there might be some kind of trademark infringement unless the Munich club was a part-owner in the franchise.

• Like 1

Pardon my french, but f*ck soccer teams that go with FC. This is America, and the game you play with your feet is called soccer... Agree with you somewhat on the SC connotation. And I still think that Burg was on point with Bayern Mecklenburg, although there might be some kind of trademark infringement unless the Munich club was a part-owner in the franchise.

Bayern is just German for Bavaria.  So I think we would be okay.  Though that doesn't make much sense from a geographical standpoint, as Mecklenburg is up in the NE portion of  modern Germany on the Baltic! and Bavaria is the southern portion of Germany bordering the Alps.  That said, I guess it doesn't matter since 90% of the general public probably couldn't find Germany on a map...{shudders at thought}.

Another cool thing to incorporate in the logo though, would be the crest of German Mecklenburg.  It's pretty comical.

post-26833-0-51828700-1400696352_thumb.p

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 2

^FYI:

Rostock, the largest city in modern day Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state, was once a part of the Hanseatic League.  Their soccer team is Hansa Rostock, paying tribute to the great league's history.

Hansa Charlotte would be cooler than any SC or FC title IMHO... 

I do like the cow logo!

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 2

FYI:

Rostock, the largest city in modern day Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state, was once a part of the Hanseatic League.  Their soccer team is Hansa Rostock, paying tribute to the great league's history.

Hansa Charlotte would be cooler than any SC or FC title IMHO... 

Hansa Charlotte with a variation on the crest above would be pretty badass.

Just related to USLPRO Soccer in General as an example of what could spawn from a strong USLPRO team support in Uptown.

So my hometown USLPRO 'Richmond Kickers' are hosting a match again EPL 'Crystal Palace FC' on July 28th.

You can get access to a pre-sale of those tickets IF you pre-purchase tickets online to their match against Charlotte Eagles this Saturday HERE

That said, hopefully in another 2 years it will be the QCFC hosting an EPL team at American Legion.

:offtopic: Although... I really hope BOA Stadium lands several Copa America Centenario Cup matches in 2016. Imagine seeing talent from such countries as Brazil and Argentina face of in BOA Stadium.. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Just related to USLPRO Soccer in General as an example of what could spawn from a strong USLPRO team support in Uptown.

So my hometown USLPRO 'Richmond Kickers' are hosting a match again EPL 'Crystal Palace FC' on July 28th.

You can get access to a pre-sale of those tickets IF you pre-purchase tickets online to their match against Charlotte Eagles this Saturday HERE

That said, hopefully in another 2 years it will be the QCFC hosting an EPL team at American Legion.

:offtopic: Although... I really hope BOA Stadium lands several Copa America Centenario Cup matches in 2016. Imagine seeing talent from such countries as Brazil and Argentina face of in BOA Stadium.. :yahoo:

August 2nd is just around the corner, you can see Liverpool play AC Milan in BOA!

• Like 3

August 2nd is just around the corner, you can see Liverpool play AC Milan in BOA!

I kooooow!..   can't wait for the buzz/excitement in the QC on match day..  :camera:

So many matches this summer!

Going to USMNT v Nigeria in FL in 2 weeks..

July there's this match in RVA, and the day after catching Man Utd vs. Inter Milan...

Then back down here for Liverpool v AC Milan 3 days later!!! 

Plus World Cup in between !!! 

Summer of Soccer 2014!! :yahoo:

• Like 1