American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

The problem is that renderings and plans are moot if the Independence can't survive the three or four years it will take to complete the upgrades. I'm under the impression that that are doing OK for now but just barely. Can anyone here that follows the team closer comment on what they feel the financial future of the club will look like after a few more years at their current home.

I really want to see them become an integral part of Charlotte's sports landscape but I just don't see them gaining any traction. Outside of hardcore soccer fan circles I never hear anyone ever mention the Independence. 

13 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Don't think so.. Saw them on a phone of a team employee.  Similar, but not identical to this initial DC United stadium rendering.  The open end would preserve the view of Uptown.

newdcunited613-7.jpg

Oh god yes!!!!!

On 7/1/2016 at 5:11 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm going to need to you explain.

EDIT: With all due respect. Everyone on this board has different thoughts on lots of different buildings. I mean, I love the UNCC uptown building, others want it to be covered with a circus tent until the end of time...

Sorry, it might be mostly sentimental. Also partly a knee-jerk reaction to people wanting to tear down more of Charlotte's past. That said, I really do like the look and functionality of the building. I've been to many different types of events there and always had a good experience. Ever since the Hornets stopped training there it's been pretty underutilized though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EnyoPhase said:

Sorry, it might be mostly sentimental. Also partly a knee-jerk reaction to people wanting to tear down more of Charlotte's past. That said, I really do like the look and functionality of the building. I've been to many different types of events there and always had a good experience. Ever since the Hornets stopped training there it's been pretty underutilized though.

I can agree with you in regard to the interior, it is kind of a fun throwback vibe. Some events are hosted there that won't have a good spot to relocate to, namely roller derby.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2016 at 3:14 PM, go_vertical said:

The problem is that renderings and plans are moot if the Independence can't survive the three or four years it will take to complete the upgrades. I'm under the impression that that are doing OK for now but just barely. Can anyone here that follows the team closer comment on what they feel the financial future of the club will look like after a few more years at their current home.

I really want to see them become an integral part of Charlotte's sports landscape but I just don't see them gaining any traction. Outside of hardcore soccer fan circles I never hear anyone ever mention the Independence. 

Team is proposing to split the $24M renovation cost between themselves, county and city.  So they'd put up $8M.  More than I thought they could do.  The team has said their sponsors love them and they have money to spend, just holding back on the hand they were dealt to put all their eggs in the Memorial basket.  Didn't always believe that but they put the money where their mouth is..

Local blog content on how the hearing went yesterday:

http://www.crowntownsoccer.com/county-commissioners-hear-stadium-proposal/

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

How exciting!  I'm all for this.  The location is fantastic, the renovations look wonderful and it'll be a great multi-use stadium for smaller events.  It should be interesting to compare Independence attendance once they are in the stadium with now, I suspect the difference will be substantially positive.

• 4 months later...

BBTB guys come to Independence matches and know the front office like most regulars do.  They might have received this direct from the Independence front office.  As mentioned I've seen the render the team initially had for an MLS sized stadium from a front office employee, but it was not this.  I know they are about 2 months behind getting back in front of the county for phase 1 at Memorial.  I wonder if what they posted was a redo of the MLS version to try to incorporate the neighborhood more into the plan (connect to the park across the street).

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

57 minutes ago, SentioVenia said:

Proper soccer pitch dimensions are larger than American football fields, so repurposing Memorial to fit a soccer pitch will also allow football games to be played on its surface.  I get that MLS loves soccer-specific parks, but to get the funding it may need to be positioned as more all-purpose.

Columbus uses Crew Stadium for concerts and Toyota Park (FC Dallas' stadium) hosts college and high school football games.  I don't think it'd be a tough sell to the league.  Also in Phase 1 the recommendation for field turf over sod was to allow for all-purpose as you suggested.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Does one only need to widen a field from American Football dimensions to Soccer dimensions?

Pretty much.  A soccer field can be as long as 130 yards, but that would be extreme.  Most are between 110-120 yards long and 60-70 yards wide.  You'd think it would be standardized, but international governing bodies have not been able to set specific dimensions.

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Does one only need to widen a field from American Football dimensions to Soccer dimensions?

Keeping in mind that legion field is around 180' at the narrow ends and 230' at the center, it means to get to soccer dimensions the stands at all four corners have to be cut back substantially. It'll be a major structural undertaking to get the field wide enough for soccer.

• 11 months later...

So dumb that contributing $25mil to an MLS bid was off the table almost as soon as it was proposed, but a useless 2nd tier league will potentially receive the benefit. Buddy in sponsorships for the MLS said Charlotte would have been phase 2 expansion plan with an approved Memorial stadium. 

6 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Buddy in sponsorships for the MLS said Charlotte would have been phase 2 expansion plan with an approved Memorial stadium. 

I have heard the same thing, over and over again. MLS has been fixated on creating a Cascadia-like rivalry (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver) in the Southeast. Atlanta is the league’s new darling and they hoped Charlotte would play the Portland role (smaller underdog city with an inferiority complex) with Atlanta playing Seattle (traditional regional powerhouse and bully).

It now seems like Nashville will get the Southeast MLS spot instead, and frankly, they deserve it.

That said, Memorial Stadium can be a great attribute for the city, regardless of whether the Independence play there or some future club. Professional soccer in the city’s urban core is a win. 

Edited by JoshuaDrown

4 hours ago, JoshuaDrown said:

I have heard the same thing, over and over again. MLS has been fixated on creating a Cascadia-like rivalry (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver) in the Southeast. Atlanta is the league’s new darling and they hoped Charlotte would play the Portland role (smaller underdog city with an inferiority complex) with Atlanta playing Seattle (traditional regional powerhouse and bully).

It now seems like Nashville will get the Southeast MLS spot instead, and frankly, they deserve it.

That said, Memorial Stadium can be a great attribute for the city, regardless of whether the Independence play there or some future club. Professional soccer in the city’s urban core is a win. 

Its pretty remarkable as bad as McCrory was as gov., he was a great mayor. This wouldn't have happened under him. No mayor since has actually LEAD.  Its really pathetic. Very glad Roberts is out, but i don't see the next one being able to continue to lead and focus on growth opportunities like this. 

52 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Its pretty remarkable as bad as McCrory was as gov., he was a great mayor. This wouldn't have happened under him. No mayor since has actually LEAD.  Its really pathetic. Very glad Roberts is out, but i don't see the next one being able to continue to lead and focus on growth opportunities like this. 

Heavily disagree. Foxx was amazing 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Has the MLS officially decided on Nashville? I keep hearing about their proposal like its a done deal. Maybe it is a great deal - but it seems to me that they could still pick Charlotte if they really wanted to.  Maybe I've misunderstood the process, but the obstacle on our end isn't that we can't use Memorial Stadium, right? It's that the City and County won't put money into it?

Either way, it seems to me that it has to be in Memoral Stadium or no soccer. There isn't a better place for an MLS stadium in town.

11 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Has the MLS officially decided on Nashville? I keep hearing about their proposal like its a done deal. Maybe it is a great deal - but it seems to me that they could still pick Charlotte if they really wanted to.  Maybe I've misunderstood the process, but the obstacle on our end isn't that we can't use Memorial Stadium, right? It's that the City and County won't put money into it?

Either way, it seems to me that it has to be in Memoral Stadium or no soccer. There isn't a better place for an MLS stadium in town.

Nashville is putting forth $250M in funding for the stadium.  There's starting to be some push back from anti-stadium groups but largely going through with no hurdles.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/10/02/mls-nashville-mayor-barry-unveils-proposal-250-m-major-league-soccer-stadium/718483001/

Of the other original expansion candidates.

Sacramento - Broke ground on MLS stadium, over 10,000 committed season ticket holders for said new stadium, lined up kit sponsor at MLS level deal upon being awarded the franchise

FC Cincinnati - Chances look better with pending move of Columbus Crew to Austin.  Stadium site is in Newport but could start building there immediately.  Preferred choice of fanbase is a different site and the team is exploring other alternatives.

San Antonio - If Crew goes to Austin they're pretty much eliminated

Detroit - Gilbert/Gores partnered with the Ford family and their franchise would play at Ford Field.  With MLS preferring soccer specific locations this may hurt their chances

Phoenix/Raleigh/Tampa - All quiet for the most part.  Phoenix and Tampa are more shovel ready, Raleigh would need to locate a viable stadium site which puts them probably last in this grouping of "all quiet" teams

Charlotte/San Diego/Indy/St Louis all pretty much eliminated from being awarded a team

A decision on first two expansion teams comes in mid-December.  The remaining two to get the league to 28 is at a yet to be announced later date.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1