MilZ

American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

One thing that makes me very angry is our government leaders, This would've been a major development and really would've sparked growth on that side of town. One thing holding us back from being the fastest growing city in America is the government. They almost always approve the projects people hate and screw up the ones people love. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Charlotte/San Diego/Indy/St Louis all pretty much eliminated from being awarded a team

A decision on first two expansion teams comes in mid-December.  The remaining two to get the league to 28 is at a yet to be announced later date.

To be clear, Charlotte is by no means eliminated from MLS expansion, just with near certainty eliminated from the first round of expansion being announced in December 2017.

Nobody knows what will happen with the remaining two expansion slots to be announced December 2018 (or later)... it will be a different political environment for a number of the cities and their bids, and possible stadium proposals will look different. 

This is getting way into the soccer nerd weeds, I apologize, but weird things are afloat in U.S. Soccer. The USL, where our Independence play have been trademarking league names: USL Championship, USL League One, USL League Two. This is a copy of the  English Football Association setup, and “may be” the beginning of the framework for promotion/relegation in the U.S. Soccer system. In the not-so-distant future any club, in any city, in any of these leagues, might have the chance to move up to (or move down out of) the top flight level of American soccer based on their performance on the pitch, not based on bids put together by cities and hefty expansion fees.

Johnny Wakefield’s excellent local soccer blog, Soccer ‘n’ Sweet Tea, talks about this in more detail, if you are so inclined:

https://soccernsweettea.com/usl-goes-english-trademarks-championship-league-one-and-more-6527730d41ce

Whatever happens, we need our soccer played near Uptown. We have the perfect site and I’d love for the changes to Memorial to start as soon as possible. 

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 2

A relegation / promotion structure would be fantastic and it would make a non-soccer guy like me actually pay attention to what was happening. 

Having said that, I would be awfully angry if I were a MLS owner (or a city that just made big public contributions to a stadium) -- this would add a new layer of risk to those investments which was not on the table prviously.  Does MLS have a significant TV contract? That might be the thing that would enable this switch to occur.

I think the big difference to this is that your average UK football fan is immensely more emotionally invested in their local club than probably a vast majority of US football fans are in their local team so I would imagine a drop to a lower tier would result in a minimal (if any) drop in revenue(across the pond at least). Also to note is that even the tier below EPL still draws some decent tv ratings. I don't have numbers on this but I'm fairly sure that is the case. 

I would love to see the same model adopted for US soccer although I think they should wait until soccer is more matured in a majority of cities. Like Kermit said, I think it would be more dramatic to see your team drop down and at least for a couple of years be the top dog in that league instead of being at the bottom of the top league.

Edited by go_vertical
Incomplete sentence.

Perhaps I should put this in the MLS to Charlotte thread in the Coffeehouse, and happy to move the conversation over there...

On 11/4/2017 at 10:10 AM, kermit said:

A relegation / promotion structure would be fantastic and it would make a non-soccer guy like me actually pay attention to what was happening. 

Having said that, I would be awfully angry if I were a MLS owner (or a city that just made big public contributions to a stadium) -- this would add a new layer of risk to those investments which was not on the table prviously.  Does MLS have a significant TV contract? That might be the thing that would enable this switch to occur.

Correct, can you imagine the conversation between MLS and an owner that had just paid $150M plus stadium costs and all the infrastructure expenses for a new club... “Ahh, sorry. We’re changing the rules you signed up for. If you finish in the bottom three you’ll have to go play in USL.” 

This is pure speculation going on in the soccer community now, but it could look something like this:

1.  MLS Expansion capped at 28, after the 4 new clubs finally announced. This is the top tier of U.S. Soccer with protection for new clubs and no immediate pro/rel.

2.  Promotion/relegation introduced the USL Championship, USL League One, USL League Two. This is tested for a period up to 10 years. 

3.  At the end of the USL testing period, pro/rel is expanded to MLS, with only one or two clubs being promoted and relegated. MLS clubs that are relegated get a payout that is the difference between their USL Championship media revenue and their MLS media revenue. This gives them an advantage in USL and increases the likelihood that they only spend one year in relegation. 

4.  After a 5 to 10 year period of integration with the one or two club pro/rel between MLS and USL Championship, full three club promotion/relegation becomes the standard across the U.S. Soccer system. 

5.  Happily ever after. 

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 2

A 10 year lease (2 renewal options to get it to 20) to the Independence and Hounds ownership group is on the agenda for tonight's county commissioner meeting.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2