American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I don't think being in Greenville would impact the team much, or Columbia if the teams facilities are on I-77. ATLUTD 2 have moved from Gwinnett to Kennesaw to have a soccer specific stadium, the distance to drive from Gwinnett, isn't too dissimilar to GSP/CLT. I think its important to expand the interest of the CLT team in SC too, and that has been a big focus Tepper has had.

At the end of the day NBA G league is right up the road in Greensboro, and I think that having GSP or Columbia make more sense if we get a MLS team. I really think the city and county dropped the ball on this one and i hope they aren't rewarded for their incompetence.

I just want to watch soccer at Memorial Stadium while the sun sets behind our gorgeous skyline... I almost don't care who is on the pitch!

I suppose we will see which path soccer in the U.S. follows, but I can't help but be impressed with the more centralized approach, like SKC has taken with their Academy, MLS Club, USL Club, and world-class $75M Pinnacle Development Center in the same city. Pinnacle is probably the finest soccer training facility in the U.S. (and one of the top in the world) and houses many of their teams with 5 training fields, two locker rooms, three classrooms, six break-out rooms, 13,000 square foot gym, Sports Performance lab with Neuropsychology Offices, Hyperbaric Chambers, Cryotherapy Lab, Environmental/Atmospheric Chamber, Accupower Force Plate (whatever that means), Hot and Cold Pools, Recovery Rooms, Massage Suite, Physician’s Clinic, on and on...

This is the competition a new Charlotte MLS team would face and the bar is only going to continue to raise. Showing first team, USL, and Academy prospects these type of facilities instead of some minor league facilities in Columbia would make a huge difference. Put the Panther's and all the soccer training facilities in South Carolina, if you like, but have the teams play at BoA and Memorial.

You should check out the Pinnacle Development Center gallery at the link below, it is stunning.

https://www.pinnaclendc.com

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/28/go-behind-scenes-sporting-kansas-citys-pinnacle-training-center

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

i find it hard to believe this renovation is needed anymore. Tepper will have his MLS team play wherever the Panthers are playing. Is memorial stadium for high school football, maybe a professional Lax team if they come back, who else would use the stadium. Seems like a lot of waste to dump 20+ million tax dollars into this stadium to be used by high schools and other small events 30 days a year. Correct me if im missing some teams that play here.       Id love a renovated stadium for the neighborhood to but this is alot of money

I say use the land for some office, restaurants, apartments, more space for the college. This is 1 block from the streetcar we are sinking (way to much) money into. Id like to see more housing in the area

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The independence already have a deal to use the refurbished stadium.  Obviously if we get MLS that would hurt the Independence's attendance projections, but the recent trend in MLS has been to have second tier teams in the USL as feeder teams.  It is possible Tepper will purchase or partner with the Independence as a feeder team to get young players more minutes.  If they are tied together, the attendance might not take as bad of a hit.

50 minutes ago, QClifer said:

i find it hard to believe this renovation is needed anymore. Tepper will have his MLS team play wherever the Panthers are playing. Is memorial stadium for high school football, maybe a professional Lax team if they come back, who else would use the stadium. Seems like a lot of waste to dump 20+ million tax dollars into this stadium to be used by high schools and other small events 30 days a year. Correct me if im missing some teams that play here.       Id love a renovated stadium for the neighborhood to but this is alot of money

I say use the land for some office, restaurants, apartments, more space for the college. This is 1 block from the streetcar we are sinking (way to much) money into. Id like to see more housing in the area

Between soccer, football, lacrosse, band competitions, and concerts (note the "stage" on the  improvements)....there  should be way more uses than a few days a year.   Imagine going to some concerts here as opposed to the crapshow that is up at the university area.   Or more festivals like Oktoberfest (RIP) that used to be there.   Of course that is a lot of "if you can book them" but at a minimum, CMS can use the heck out of it for football.  

Not sure on the feasibility of the concert thing though with natural grass.  Bermuda recovers well in summer but come fall it would do a number on the grass if you had 8000 people on the field. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

The independence already have a deal to use the refurbished stadium.  Obviously if we get MLS that would hurt the Independence's attendance projections, but the recent trend in MLS has been to have second tier teams in the USL as feeder teams.  It is possible Tepper will purchase or partner with the Independence as a feeder team to get young players more minutes.  If they are tied together, the attendance might not take as bad of a hit.

Most USL feeder teams are in smaller, nearby cities (like Rock Hill, playing at the Panthers' new practice facility or the soccer complex at Manchester Village) but Memorial could work for that if the really differentiate the experience so that people don't wonder why they should go to both. Maybe they could tie-in season tickets and that kind of thing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Multiple updated renderings and information for the renovation can be found under Parks & Rec Capital Projects website. Some of these images have been shared elsewhere on UP, but there is more here in the public presentations: https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/CapitalProjects/Pages/Default.aspx

image.thumb.png.5404423215cc3a0af341e67322f8b743.png

So I saw that was a design before 5.29 

on 6.3 there was coverage on Jenkins Peer doing the design work and including an updated budget... I did some snooping.... I’m confused. Lol. Im assuming this was a design that was shot down? Or did I discover something very exciting.

2712BB06-E77C-4806-A117-E58A598433CA.jpeg

5E4EF4E9-76A0-444D-BFCE-A4BE1F76E5B4.png

4A598EE5-4E18-48FB-A522-F8B8AA20FF20.png

On 8/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, tozmervo said:

Unfortunately, you're seeing an older concept design from earlier studies of "what ifs" for the stadium

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/CapitalProjects/Documents/05.29_ALMS_Design Update.pdf

So the May 29, 2019 update is not the current design?   I'm sure the more expensive design went away once MLS and others weren't planning to go here, but the design in that document seem very modest and likely.  

51 minutes ago, dubone said:

https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/CapitalProjects/Documents/05.29_ALMS_Design Update.pdf

So the May 29, 2019 update is not the current design?   I'm sure the more expensive design went away once MLS and others weren't planning to go here, but the design in that document seem very modest and likely.  

Toz is speaking specifically about the grand MLS structure.

50 minutes ago, dubone said:

Sorry, I should have quoted what I responding to. I was saying that this design was the earlier "what if" concept. The May 29 document is accurate.

image.png.8d404d8675f6ea3e8ef0955bf7350756.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

News from yesterday something about the Independence and memorial stadium.  https://www.charlotteindependence.com/news_article/show/1045031

Interesting line though...

All 2020 Season Members who pay in full before October 25th will receive free parking for the 2020 season played at the Sportplex at Matthews.

So, they're NOT  playing at Memorial next year?  More of a glorified season ticket / membership campaign??

Either way, hopefully this results in better attendance.  Improvements to attendance would go a long way to showing the soccer world that Charlotte deserves a MLS team rather than just buying one.

cltindependence.JPG

7 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Groundbreaking is 9.20.19, plan has been since this got approved it'd be ready for Spring 2021.

Season tickets in 2020 guarantee first choice of seats for the 2021 move.

Well that is disappointing. If we end up getting a MLS team I can see them having a negative impact on the Independence in a big way. Too bad they couldn't be in Memorial by now to help grow the game in Charlotte.

3 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Well that is disappointing. If we end up getting a MLS team I can see them having a negative impact on the Independence in a big way. Too bad they couldn't be in Memorial by now to help grow the game in Charlotte.

Had a deal ready to be brought to vote that would have had the team start playing in Memorial in 2019 till flash in the pan Marcus Smith wasted everyone's time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Negative impact is an understatement, the team will cease to exist in Charlotte under the current ownership group.  Best case Tepper buys out the Independence for their academy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Best case Tepper buys out the Independence for their academy.

Which would make a lot of sense now that the Independence has partnered with three local merged youth clubs—including one of only two US Development Academies in the Charlotte area (Carolina Rapids):

http://www.independencesoccer.club/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muggsy01 said:

If Charlotte gets an MLS team, which I'd put as an 80% chance, it will be Tepper buying Independence. That's been the MO now for a few seasons, bring up successful brands from USL. I would be shocked if they went with a totally new brand for MLS. I think ideal would be bring up Independence, and move Charlotte Eagles back to USL Championship as the development squad for the MLS side, put them in Memorial. 

I think Tepper buying the Independence and their academy structure is the most likely scenario, mostly because of the valuable academy structure. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a new affiliate USL team down in Rock Hill at the Panthers' new practice facility or the Manchester soccer complex. Don't think it'll be the Eagles coming back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Muggsy01 said:

If Charlotte gets an MLS team, which I'd put as an 80% chance, it will be Tepper buying Independence. That's been the MO now for a few seasons, bring up successful brands from USL. I would be shocked if they went with a totally new brand for MLS. I think ideal would be bring up Independence, and move Charlotte Eagles back to USL Championship as the development squad for the MLS side, put them in Memorial. 

They will be going with a new brand. Could see him buying out Independance, but its not an established enough brand to keep around IMO.