American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

• 2 weeks later...

Some details that QCSC just posted.... like that the team itself will not be named "Queen City SC"

https://www.facebook.com/queencitysc/posts/1562106287349306

"Update: The operating company will be known as Queen City Soccer Club LLC. We will launch a Name the Team Campaign in the coming weeks to determine the name, identity, look and feel of your new Charlotte USL Pro soccer team. Get those juices flowing! Stay Tuned for more details."

"We'll get into the nitty gritty fine print official launch later but keep in mind for now, as you go all Walter Mitty, that USL Pro will require use of "Charlotte" in the team name. Spread the word, mates. We'll talk soon! #grassroots #CLTsoccer #USLPro2015"

... Kind of limits the possibilities and some of the names that have been tossed around for fun.

The creativity will come from whether they go with a name like "Charlotte United/Charlotte Soccer Club/Charlotte [insert soccer team word here]" or with a name like some of the MLS teams have where it's more of an American sports name (Philadelphia Union, Seattle Sounders, New England Revolution, etc.) It seems like most MLS teams are in that latter camp, so I'd expect the team here to do the same. I definitely plan on mocking something up for the naming campaign.

• Like 2

I think a more Euro sounding name is more appealing.

I think so too, but off the top of my head I can't think of a Euro name that isn't already taken. United, Real____, and _____ City are all used up, and while it's common in Europe for multiple teams to have the same word after their city name, I don't think it would fly in the US.

It's a dilemma, because "Charlotte Royals" or whatever sounds un-soccery, but "Charlotte Soccer Club" sounds amateur. It's a shame that Queen City can't be used, because I think that sounds so good, but I can understand MLS wanting teams to use city names.

I thought the new team was going to be 2nd tier, NASL, not another 3rd tier USL team? That sucks. Some friends and I are having a good debate about who in NC will land a MLS team first. I think the Triangle is still in the lead.

The Railhawks are the Carolina NASL team, which does a good draw fior the Cary/Raleigh area.

I don't think there is enough room for another NASL team so close in NC.

USLPRO is great though, I mean the Kickers program back home has built a great following strong MLS relationship with DC United and are even playing a home friendly against FC Crystal Palace (EPL) next month. All that from a mid-size city USLPRO team.

With BOFA Stadium upgrades we can be sure to land more exhibition matches in the coming seasons as well as land a few matches for the 2016 Copa America Cup.

With those type of events coming to town, USLPRO will do just fine to keep and build the base until we land the MLS franschise in 2017. :thumbsup:

I thought the new team was going to be 2nd tier, NASL, not another 3rd tier USL team? That sucks. Some friends and I are having a good debate about who in NC will land a MLS team first. I think the Triangle is still in the lead.

Sounders, Timbers, & Orlando City all were USL Pro teams that were "promoted" to MLS.  While NASL teams do generally attract higher talent, they by no means equate to a better shot at MLS.  That depends on club support and ownership.

• Like 1

I believe they are trying to create more of a tier system in the US.  Wouldn't it be cool to have relegations and what not.  That could be a better way of "expanding" the system.  In my opinion it seems as if the USL Pro and NASL are more or less on the same level.  It's just two different leagues that independently grew.  Because of the market breakdowns it might make sense to keep them.  I would prefer to see a more organized tier system with relegations.

One of the complaints I have heard about expanding the MLS is that it lowers or dilutes the overall talent level as the pool of top level talent isn't large enough at the time.

I really like that, but I'd go with either the year of Charlotte's founding, 1768, or the MecDec year, 1775. And the SC/FC debate is one worth having.

The reason I went with 1762 is that is the year when Mecklenburg County was formed (as it was the western part of Anson County).

Charlotte town was then incorporated in 1768.

Edited by RVA2CLT

I like Charlotte Town SC. With a nice coat of arms, it'd be pretty sweet.

I'm not a huge soccer fan but that would get me excited enough to go to some games. But again, Naming it Charlotte Lightening and having a mascot named Sparkles... Would lose my attention

I play with Crawley Town FC in Fifa 14.  They have a special, non EPL place, in my heart.  

I play with Ipswich Town FC because I was raised there for a 1.5 years as a baby... I was kicking myself that I didn't think of it Charlotte Town as a name first haha.

• Like 1