American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

I think Charlotte Town is really the perfect name for the club, both because of the city's history and the stadium location. It's true that it might be a little confusing to a lot of people, but it's an easy and clear explanation, and I can't imagine anyone having an issue with it once it's been explained. Of course, there will always be people to complain no matter what the name is.

I wonder if adding 1775 into the name would make it any clearer and easier to accept. "Charlotte Town 1775 SC"

Brace yourselves for disappointment, I don't know how legit it is, but I've heard "rumors" that the team will be called "Charlotte Independence (or Independents, not sure on spelling).  I guess I don't HATE it, but I don't love it...at all.

I like it more than an animal name, but yeah, I don't love it either.

I don't really care for that name but it could be worse, the franchise in Tulsa that is set to join the league next year will be called the Tulsa Roughnecks FC. In addition to Tulsa, the Austin Aztex will be moving up from the PDL along with new teams in St. Louis and Louisville. It good to see the USL Pro gaining more of a national footprint which will hopefully translate to better talent and more exposure for the league.

Still very much prefer Charlottetown or my second choice plain Charlotte SC as a symbolic middle finger to the lawmakers in Raleigh.

Sorry, but Charlotte Town is silly and I am British -- makes me think of Charlottetown, PEI. I really hope it isn't Charlotte Independence. My choice would be Charlotte Thunder (NASCAR, summer thunderstorms, links to past Carolina Lightnin'). Regardless, great to see soccer kick it into another gear.

Sorry, but Charlotte Town is silly and I am British -- makes me think of Charlottetown, PEI. I really hope it isn't Charlotte Independence. My choice would be Charlotte Thunder (NASCAR, summer thunderstorms, links to past Carolina Lightnin'). Regardless, great to see soccer kick it into another gear.

I'm Charlottean (Presbyterian, Elizabeth Avenue) and I think Charlotte Thunder is horrible (sounds like the team name of a YMCA boys soccer team) and Charlottetowne is obviously our original name and the name of a prominent street.

The Hornets name was chosen because we were a Hornets nest of revolution. The Hornets nest is now the logo of CMPD & a lot more people know the meaning of "hornets nest" since Charlotte Horners has came around. And one of the worlds tallest roller coasters is named after a Hornet also.

Now maybe A lot more people will be aware of even more of our history if a soccer team were named Charlottetowne. Just like NBA's Hornets made most of us aware of us being referred to as a Hornets Nest of revolution (or rebellion, I forget).

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

This shows how tough it is to name teams and get the total support of the potential fan base. My hope would be that they keep working till they find something the community can rally behind. Some franchises get this right and then it just works.

Take the Sacramento Republic, it just resonates, they nailed the branding and the franchise is blowing up. The Charleston Battery, a nod to history, easily brand-able color scheme, total win. In the NASL, Jacksonville Armada, new franchise, historical name that the city relates to. The new Virginia Cavalry crest could be a bit better, but is well done. I see a military/war/American Revolution theme here...

Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Rochester Rhinos... awful.

Edited by JoshuaDrown

Not the best, but could have easily been worse.  This will grow on me.

I think I'm with you on this. If they were going to go the route of American sports and have a mascot name rather than just a club name, Independence is a lot better than it could have been. It's not my favorite, but I don't hate it (and besides, when they move the MLS team to a new stadium on Independence on the Bojangles Coliseum land, it'll be perfect  :thumbsup: ).

I think I'm with you on this. If they were going to go the route of American sports and have a mascot name rather than just a club name, Independence is a lot better than it could have been. It's not my favorite, but I don't hate it (and besides, when they move the MLS team to a new stadium on Independence on the Bojangles Coliseum land, it'll be perfect  :thumbsup: ).

I'd be crushed if they even considered moving away from Memorial Stadium.  But if they incorporate the May 20, 1775 in the crest, then "Independence" won't seem as cheesy or cliche and people will learn something about our history that we are very proud of.

• Like 1

I'd be crushed if they even considered moving away from Memorial Stadium.  But if they incorporate the May 20, 1775 in the crest, then "Independence" won't seem as cheesy or cliche and people will learn something about our history that we are very proud of.

I totally agree that they should stay in Memorial if they can make it work with USLPro/MLs requirements, I'm just jaded about the inevitability of teams wanting new stadiums. And yeah, the MecDec incorporation would go a long way toward making the name more palatable. 

^Luckily, the Hounds/USL teams ownership has shown pride in Memorial Stadium and seem to know the benefits it provides the franchise, such as the location, link to mass transit, city views, history, neighborhood, etc.  A stadium relocation would immediately knock a few, if not all, of those features out.

Edited by MilZ
  • Like 1

I totally agree that they should stay in Memorial if they can make it work with USLPro/MLs requirements, I'm just jaded about the inevitability of teams wanting new stadiums. And yeah, the MecDec incorporation would go a long way toward making the name more palatable. 

It wouldn't really take much to make Memorial like new. They've already torn down the upper level on one side. They could do the same on the other side and build two brand new upper levels if needed.

Widen the field, but raise the field so that the loss of the first few rows of seating doesn't leave the fans sitting 20 feet above the pitch.

There is no reason Memorial can't be a nice facility; it'll just require basically starting over from scratch for everything but the lower bowl.

• Like 3

New to this online community and new to Charlotte (from St. Louis, Seattle, Columbus, and Detroit respectively)...but I can't understand the Independents/Independence idea. Does the city have a lot of pride around Captain Jack? I'd never heard of Charlotte's role in 1775 until this week. I'd worry the majority of the US would associate independence with the civil war rather than the revolutionary. 1776 is Boston and Philly's thing. Yes? No?