American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

• 4 weeks later...

I was at a meeting for a supporters group yesterday, where Jim McPhilliamy informed us that renovations to widening the stadium were "0% complete" and that the team didn't have a timeline set yet, only that it would not be ready in time for the season. He says the county takes a long time to get these projects through.

Other venues are being considered until the stadium is ready, including BofA for the home opener.

What about Transamera field at UNCC? And I hear there's a stadium down in Fort Mill that is empty these days...

They had mentioned Transamerica at one point. I doubt it is preferable since alcohol sales are not possible.

The Knights stadium is owned by Cato Corporation now. It is slated to be torn down and is in bad shape anyway.

This is a real bummer, and will greatly affect the team's momentum. As an Uptown resident, the location, ability to walk, and seeing the city skyline, were all important parts of the overall expected experience of a professional sports team. This will be the difference for me, and now I likely won't see more than 3 or 4 games, instead of attending almost all the home games. 

• Like 1

This is a real bummer, and will greatly affect the team's momentum. As an Uptown resident, the location, ability to walk, and seeing the city skyline, were all important parts of the overall expected experience of a professional sports team. This will be the difference for me, and now I likely won't see more than 3 or 4 games, instead of attending almost all the home games. 

Agreed.  Location is imperative.  I doubt I'll make many trips to UNCC, let alone Fort Mill.  I want to drink and walk, or use easy mass transit.

• Like 1

The owner knows this is costing him and his investors money.  Not just whatever they paid for the rights to use the field in 2015 but for reasons of the last two posts.  I want this thing to be special and we gain traction like Orlando City route to MLS; but even as someone who's been to every meeting for the team so far, this was a tough pill to swallow.  The idea of a game at BoA is to break the Sacramento Republic's opening day record of 21,000 at a game.  One of the ticket guys at the Jack's Militia meeting said to fill the lower bowl of BoA it would take selling 25k seats.  My hope is we get the game and fill the stadium to get people on the fence interested in coming to UNCC for more than a couple games.  I'll be there as part of the supporter's group regardless.  But the goal of growing the game and support for the team in the community just got a little harder IMO.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

Transamerica Field's official capacity is 4,000 but I honestly don't think it holds that many. Attendance will be severely impacted.

While on the topic of UNC Charlotte, all soccer supporters should come out when the 49ers host in the NCAA tournament. We are currently ranked 4th in the country and if we win the CUSA tournament, it is very possible we move up to #2. Kevin Langan has built a national championship contender. 2nd in the nation in scoring and one of the best defensive teams as well. Former Charlotte coach, Jeremy Gunn has his team at Stanford ranked #1.

I don't know the date yet, but I believe it will be next week some time.

• Like 3

Transamerica Field's official capacity is 4,000 but I honestly don't think it holds that many. Attendance will be severely impacted.

While on the topic of UNC Charlotte, all soccer supporters should come out when the 49ers host in the NCAA tournament. We are currently ranked 4th in the country and if we win the CUSA tournament, it is very possible we move up to #2. Kevin Langan has built a national championship contender. 2nd in the nation in scoring and one of the best defensive teams as well. Former Charlotte coach, Jeremy Gunn has his team at Stanford ranked #1.

I don't know the date yet, but I believe it will be next week some time.

Just out of curiosity...any idea about ticket prices?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran across this today:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wallace+Wade+Stadium/@35.9953487,-78.9417982,238m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89ace6bb66302309:0x769098564dc4d1e2

This is the right way to preserve a historic bowl while widening the field.  In Charlotte it would require demo of Grady Cole... but id be okay with that.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

I ran across this today:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wallace+Wade+Stadium/@35.9953487,-78.9417982,238m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89ace6bb66302309:0x769098564dc4d1e2

This is the right way to preserve a historic bowl while widening the field.  In Charlotte it would require demo of Grady Cole... but id be okay with that.

What are you trying to show? Isn't Duke lowering their field and removing the track so they can add seating?

^I don't know what the revision plans are  The current configuration (shown) retains a bowl shape at one end, and only compromises the shape at the other end.  I am dismayed that the ALMS field's aesthetics will be diminished when they cut up the bowl to widen the field.  I wish that the engineer for ALMS had considered an expansion like the one at Duke.

Edited by archiham04

^I don't know what the revision plans are  The current configuration (shown) retains a bowl shape at one end, and only compromises the shape at the other end.  I am dismayed that the ALMS field's aesthetics will be diminished when they cut up the bowl to widen the field.  I wish that the engineer for ALMS had considered an expansion like the one at Duke.

Are you referring to the rock wall?  If so, that will be put back into place after renovations per the Independence management group.

What are you trying to show? Isn't Duke lowering their field and removing the track so they can add seating?

Correct, they are doing the opposite of what is happening at memorial, plus adding suites at the top, but both are doing a good job of preserving the historic value.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Correct, they are doing the opposite of what is happening at memorial, plus adding suites at the top, but both are doing a good job of preserving the historic value.

So the comparison doesn't quite work because Duke had the extra width to begin with, whereas Memorial Stadium does not.

So the comparison doesn't quite work because Duke had the extra width to begin with, whereas Memorial Stadium does not.

I was saying you were correct about Duke lowering the field (rather than widening like Memorial), and I was assuming Archiham04 was alluding to preserving the historic value rather than the functional aspect of the renovations.

Edited by MilZ

I was saying you were correct about Duke lowering the field (rather than widening like Memorial), and I was assuming Archiham04 was alluding to preserving the historic value rather than the functional aspect of the renovations.

Ah, my apologies then. I misunderstood.

• 2 weeks later...