American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

The Adelaide Oval underwent some pretty serious renovations over the past 6 years.  And while, clearly we do not have a cricket pitch, if a stadium built in 1871 can be refurbished to a world class level and still keep it's historical aspects intact, the same can be done on a smaller scale for American Legion.

Before:

110862-adelaide-oval.jpg

After:

248780-caed7b8e-60c0-11e3-bb71-e2c853748

• Like 3

The Adelaide Oval underwent some pretty serious renovations over the past 6 years.  And while, clearly we do not have a cricket pitch, if a stadium built in 1871 can be refurbished to a world class level and still keep it's historical aspects intact, the same can be done on a smaller scale for American Legion.

Before:

110862-adelaide-oval.jpg

After:

248780-caed7b8e-60c0-11e3-bb71-e2c853748

If I could, I would like this post 100x.

Great example.

I read the twitter exchange.  I must ask, and no disrespect intended here, but does it really matter when the author of the Agenda Op-Ed last went to the stadium?  I've never been to Yellowstone.  Does that mean I would have no right to be incensed if someone suggested building a resort right over the top of Old Faithful?

Soccer is the sport of the millenial generation.  Millenials more than perhaps any recent generation, are concerned with social responsibility-whether it be the rights of minority groups, environmental stewardship, or protecting our history.  Therefore it is only fitting, in the case of the Memorial Stadium site, to do the socially responsible thing and renovate what is already there.

If it is not feasible from a financial standpoint to repurpose the existing stadium for soccer, then the team should find some massive open space somewhere else in town and build a new one.  Eastland would be a candidate, the parking lots behind Bojangles Coliseum would be a candidate, the land around Scaleybark station (I'm sure the developers there would love to have a future MLS stadium incorporated into their plans), etc.  Anywhere but the one location where another one of our few remaining historic structures will fall victim to the wrecking ball is fine.

My only point in asking was it seemed like the author was remembering the hey-day when county parks & rec actually did their part to maintain the legacy of Memorial Stadium.  Today it's a run down old stadium that could be better used if some TLC was put into it while maintaining the 7 or so characteristics that allowed it to be on the national register of historic places.  Majority of the structure that is there today was redone in the 1960-1970 time frame.  It's those 7 elements that are original.

Sure it gets used for Hounds games and occasional high school football games but it could be much more of an asset to the city if it wasn't in such a bad shape.  I think if the author of the op-ed heard the organizations vision for the stadium and saw it's current state he may retract the idea of chaining himself to the fence but rather be more receptive to a group wanting to revitalize an old gem. 

Sorry forgot to add: If the end game was to utilize Memorial for an MLS team the league is now requiring all expansion teams to be in an area where transit is established and close to Center City.  Scaleybark is one option but it sounds like Pappas is moving on his side.  Eastland would likely be too far out for the leagues liking.  But other sites are/were considered.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

My only point in asking was it seemed like the author was remembering the hey-day when county parks & rec actually did their part to maintain the legacy of Memorial Stadium.  Today it's a run down old stadium that could be better used if some TLC was put into it while maintaining the 7 or so characteristics that allowed it to be on the national register of historic places.  Majority of the structure that is there today was redone in the 1960-1970 time frame.  It's those 7 elements that are original.

Sure it gets used for Hounds games and occasional high school football games but it could be much more of an asset to the city if it wasn't in such a bad shape.  I think if the author of the op-ed heard the organizations vision for the stadium and saw it's current state he may retract the idea of chaining himself to the fence but rather be more receptive to a group wanting to revitalize an old gem. 

Sorry forgot to add: If the end game was to utilize Memorial for an MLS team the league is now requiring all expansion teams to be in an area where transit is established and close to Center City.  Scaleybark is one option but it sounds like Pappas is moving on his side.  Eastland would likely be too far out for the leagues liking.  But other sites are/were considered.

Ok...Fair enough.  However,  it is not just nostalgia that is the impetus for saving Memorial in my opinion.  It is also the fact that the stadium is actually a piece of Charlotte history.  History is an endangered species in Charlotte, and like any other species that is on the brink of extinction, it deserves protection. 

The Observer piece the other day was not so clear that the intent was to do a preservation of the actual historic features.  The way I read the Observer article, it sounded as if the idea was a wholesale tear down and rebuild.  Admittedly, by the time I was halfway through the article, I was fuming so I may have missed a key point in my fit of righteous indignation.  However, it seems like many others took the Observer article the same way I did.

Ok...Fair enough.  However,  it is not just nostalgia that is the impetus for saving Memorial in my opinion.  It is also the fact that the stadium is actually a piece of Charlotte history.  History is an endangered species in Charlotte, and like any other species that is on the brink of extinction, it deserves protection. 

The Observer piece the other day was not so clear that the intent was to do a preservation of the actual historic features.  The way I read the Observer article, it sounded as if the idea was a wholesale tear down and rebuild.  Admittedly, by the time I was halfway through the article, I was fuming so I may have missed a key point in my fit of righteous indignation.  However, it seems like many others took the Observer article the same way I did.

Yeah as you can see Wade's reply I think they aren't enjoying the press where it says they'd knock down everything and build from scratch.  If anything that may happen to the concrete bleachers that were built in the 60's/70's as those create a nice leaky waterfall down onto the concourse.  But not the historic features, 

I don't think there'd be an argument if the place was well kept and in working order.  I'd just hate to see the legacy for future generations be that Memorial is a dump because we were too worried about the history of the site to also think of the future of it as well.

Not so ironically after the convo this morning the Hounds shared this.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/charlotte-hounds/american-legion-memorial-stadium-an-architectural-description/1013979678612363

You know... I really go back and forth on this.  Today, I think MLS dreamers should find their own site.  Charlotte is probably big enough now that they can support a purpose built soccer stadium in addition to a limited use historic stadium...  If Memorial Stadium can stay viable as local high school football and lacross only stadium, why not just keep it and restore it...  and let MLS/independence find an another site?

You know... I really go back and forth on this.  Today, I think MLS dreamers should find their own site.  Charlotte is probably big enough now that they can support a purpose built soccer stadium in addition to a limited use historic stadium...  If Memorial Stadium can stay viable as local high school football and lacross only stadium, why not just keep it and restore it...  and let MLS/independence find an another site?

Where is another site that is realistic and has similar access to transit, highways, uptown, etc?

• Like 1

and let MLS/independence find an another site?

Asian Corners Mall area? (more specifically the industrial space behind it)

That said, if we gotta have soccer, Memorial Stadium is the place for it. Stadiums are almost always a blight on the city due to them being dead spots on non-event days. The only way to minimize that is to have as many activities as possible in one stadium. Can MLS share with MLL and high school football?

Can MLS share with MLL and high school football?

That was the plan while they were talking renovation. Most MLS soccer specific fields compete for major high school events at the state level as well as events like the MLL Finals or NCAA Rugby and LAX. I would include international friendlies, though BofA has been doing very well with those and is likely a more appropriate venue if the crowds are the right size. However, future success hosting an MLS team would also highly increase our chances of hosting US Soccer matches in Charlotte.

A location at Ramblewood, the Eastland Mall Site, or Hidden Valley would not likely carry that success. The Knights are a great example of location and great venue and what it can do for interest in the community.

Asian Corners Mall area? (more specifically the industrial space behind it)

That said, if we gotta have soccer, Memorial Stadium is the place for it. Stadiums are almost always a blight on the city due to them being dead spots on non-event days. The only way to minimize that is to have as many activities as possible in one stadium. Can MLS share with MLL and high school football?

Yes, MLS and MLL should be able to share a field.  And truthfully that is what's needed-a facility that will serve as a venue for all manner of events.

One of the cool things about MLS Stadiums and what could make a renovated Memorial Stadium (or one that at least maintains its historical features such as the lower bowl, rock wall, etc.) so great is they can be designed to hold almost any outdoor event, especially the ones too small for BofA.  They can of course house MLS teams, but  things such as MLL fields and Rugby pitches also fit.  Plus they can be designed with retractable stages for concerts, and they can host football games for smaller teams.

Memorial Stadium has the ability to be something truly special.  My hope is  that the city and McPhilliamy decide to preserve the history by saving the lower bowl, rock wall, etc, but design the rest as a true multipurpose events arena by designing a retractable stage into the east end of the stadium and of course add suites, an upper bowl, modernize concessions...  Also, I would like to see some armed forces memorial plaza incorporated into the design, perhaps on the western end berm in lieu of a wraparound upper bowl since it is, after all, the American Legion Memorial Stadium.

I hope that when all is said and done that we not only have an home for Soccer and Lax, but also a  site for FCS, Div II, and Div III championship games as well as local and national level rugby matches, major concerts, and major high school football games. Furthermore, I hope it becomes the permanent home of the Shrine Bowl and the Military Classic of the South (Neutral Site of VMI and Citadel football games), and perhaps Queens U Lax/football if they ever get a team. 

It truly could be an unbelievable venue, but I believe it must start with preservation of its history.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3

Yes, MLS and MLL should be able to share a field.  And truthfully that is what's needed-a facility that will serve as a venue for all manner of events.

One of the cool things about MLS Stadiums and what could make a renovated Memorial Stadium (or one that at least maintains its historical features such as the lower bowl, rock wall, etc.) so great is they can be designed to hold almost any outdoor event, especially the ones too small for BofA.  They can of course house MLS teams, but  things such as MLL fields and Rugby pitches also fit.  Plus they can be designed with retractable stages for concerts, and they can host football games for smaller teams.

Memorial Stadium has the ability to be something truly special.  My hope is  that the city and McPhilliamy decide to preserve the history by saving the lower bowl, rock wall, etc, but design the rest as a true multipurpose events arena by designing a retractable stage into the east end of the stadium and of course add suites, an upper bowl, modernize concessions...  Also, I would like to see some armed forces memorial plaza incorporated into the design, perhaps on the western end berm in lieu of a wraparound upper bowl since it is, after all, the American Legion Memorial Stadium.

I hope that when all is said and done that we not only have an home for Soccer and Lax, but also a  site for FCS, Div II, and Div III championship games as well as local and national level rugby matches, major concerts, and major high school football games. Furthermore, I hope it becomes the permanent home of the Shrine Bowl and the Military Classic of the South (Neutral Site of VMI and Citadel football games), and perhaps Queens U Lax/football if they ever get a team. 

It truly could be an unbelievable venue, but I believe it must start with preservation of its history.

I agree!  Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Tx currently hosts the FCS National Championship game, on top of being the home for FC Dallas.  Definitely something the city could work to attract.

fc-dallas-stadium.jpg

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

This is the best stadium plan yet... respectful of the history, but built for the future.  I LOVE IT.  They need to demo Grady Cole sooner than later.

Agree completely.  Love this and hope that they take the less expensive grass field option (real soccer is played on grass).  Also hope they demo Cole Center but if they did I'm not sure what they would use for locker rooms (for some reason, I thought they planned to renovate?).  The stadium plan far exceeds my expectations...I'd imagine they would draw well at that location and with that configuration.

13 hours ago, JBS said:

Agree completely.  Love this and hope that they take the less expensive grass field option (real soccer is played on grass).  Also hope they demo Cole Center but if they did I'm not sure what they would use for locker rooms (for some reason, I thought they planned to renovate?).  The stadium plan far exceeds my expectations...I'd imagine they would draw well at that location and with that configuration.

Love the idea of real grass if a soccer club was going to be the sole tenant.  To really get the use out of the field for lacrosse, youth tournament/high school games then they'll probably need turf.  If MLS comes calling and they do phase 2 (which I've seen the rendering, amazing!) then switch it to grass.

But after seeing the county try to kill the crabgrass out at Ramblewood and destroy the playing surface which was the nicest part about the place, I don't trust them to maintain a field getting so much use. 

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EnyoPhase said:

I just have to say that Grady Cole is one of my favorite buildings in Charlotte.

I'm going to need to you explain.

EDIT: With all due respect. Everyone on this board has different thoughts on lots of different buildings. I mean, I love the UNCC uptown building, others want it to be covered with a circus tent until the end of time...

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Love the idea of real grass if a soccer club was going to be the sole tenant.  To really get the use out of the field for lacrosse, youth tournament/high school games then they'll probably need turf.  If MLS comes calling and they do phase 2 (which I've seen the rendering, amazing!) then switch it to grass.

But after seeing the county try to kill the crabgrass out at Ramblewood and destroy the playing surface which was the nicest part about the place, I don't trust them to maintain a field getting so much use. 

Makes sense, though a bit ironic that fans will be sitting in grass.  Would love to see phase 2 renderings.  Not originally a fan of Independence name but this will be connected to Captain Jack Plaza by greenway, adjacent to Independence Park with quick access to Independence Boulevard...it fits!

18 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Any public photos of the phase 2 render yet?