American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

What makes you all think new brand? Based on the way MLS has been bringing teams up from USL, I'd be really surprised if they didn't follow the pattern of keeping the USL brand. Started really back in 2009 with Sounders and been going ever since. I realize some brands have been more ingrained than others but like, Nashville SC was very new for example too. 

29 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

What makes you all think new brand? Based on the way MLS has been bringing teams up from USL, I'd be really surprised if they didn't follow the pattern of keeping the USL brand. Started really back in 2009 with Sounders and been going ever since. I realize some brands have been more ingrained than others but like, Nashville SC was very new for example too. 

Nashville MLS is the same group as Nashville USL that's why its the same.  Same with Cincy and same if Sacramento/ NCFC were selected.  St. Louis MLS is a different ownership than the USL group, so they'll come with their own brand.  Charlotte would be different from Independence.

12 minutes ago, Green_man said:

Nashville MLS is the same group as Nashville USL that's why its the same.  Same with Cincy and same if Sacramento/ NCFC were selected.  St. Louis MLS is a different ownership than the USL group, so they'll come with their own brand.  Charlotte would be different from Independence.

Same with Atlanta instead of adopting the Silverbacks who were a team that played in the burbs with minimal attendance.  Different ownership, new brand.

I love the Independence, I've had season tickets since the day they announced taking over the rights to the Eagles USL spot.  But had they not just acquired and merged academies I don't even think Tepper would entertain any sort of business deal with them.  Nor would he have had to.  Owning one of the largest youth academies in the country is the ownership's golden parachute I hope.  Because for my enjoyment and a few others they've hemorrhaged money for the last 5 years and the folks that run the team are good people.  I hope they're not left with shelling out millions for nothing when our $12B man gets his way. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:17 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Gonna be exciting in 2021 when the Independence get playing on this new Stadium.  Will really make CLT a soccer town between this and MLS Uptown.  I hope both are well attended/supported by the region.  Also - would love to see the MLL Team reconstituted after 2021.

What about an XFL team :tw_hushed:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, csweet said:

What about an XFL team :tw_hushed:

XFL would be nice, but I think it’s probably a smaller stadium than they’d like to have, especially if the league catches on.  Maybe the plans still call for the ability to be expanded if necessary.

I hope Major League Rugby finds its way to Memorial stadium.  Would be really great to have MLR, MLL, and USL (maybe the XFL one day too) all playing at the stadium.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am glad about the Memorial Stadium rebuild, I think its a great location. 

Having said that, was this actually a renovation? (as billed by the county). Seems like the scraped everything off the site and started fresh? Did anything (other than the historical marker) get reused?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kermit said:

Having said that, was the actually a renovation? (as billed by the county). Seems like the scraped everything off the site and started fresh?

It really is a great location, but I wonder how much use it is going to get. Will the Independence be able to exist next to Charlotte FC?

The Carolina Lightnin' of the American Soccer League played there for 2-3 years. Their first year there was lightning in a bottle (metaphor crime) as the team won the championship at Memorial Stadium with more than 20,000 fans. I was there. It was our first taste of big time sports. Local player Tony Suarez was the talk of the league and our best player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Having said that, was this actually a renovation? (as billed by the county). Seems like the scraped everything off the site and started fresh? Did anything (other than the historical marker) get reused?

I think the dirt of the hills are still in the same spot.  Does that count?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...