American Legion Memorial Stadium Renovation

MilZ

I like Charlotte Town, because its unique for the US, a bit modest, and the fact that the stadium is on Charlottetown Ave.

That said, I HATE the SC, because I don't see how the majority of the country (perhaps world) wouldn't read it as South Carolina.

SC Charlotte Town is better, but I like the date idea.

Charlotte Town 1775....is nice mash-up of a different league naming conventions......slang team name would of course be the Townies (or 75ers)

• Like 3

I like Charlotte Town, because its unique for the US, a bit modest, and the fact that the stadium is on Charlottetown Ave.

That said, I HATE the SC, because I don't see how the majority of the country (perhaps world) wouldn't read it as South Carolina.

SC Charlotte Town is better, but I like the date idea.

Charlotte Town 1775....is nice mash-up of a different league naming conventions......slang team name would of course be the Townies (or 75ers)

I'd be absolutely happy with any of those variations.  I'd also be okay with being called a "townie" for once.

• Like 1

Is Charlotte a town or a city? 

Oh, please, please, no NASCAR references...

Can I walk to these games from downtown?

Anyone know where Rugby is played?

It's a city, but I believe was originally named Charlottetowne.

I hope they don't identify with racing.  It's the same ownership group as the Major League Lacross' Charlotte Hounds, which have not went that direction at all.

These games will be played at American Legion Memorial Stadium, just east of I-277. I normally walk from uptown to Hounds games and back, about a half-mile from center city.

Rugby will be played soon at the Rugby Athletic Center near Scaleybark Station on South Tryon.

that's pretty sweet! 

can't wait to start going to some games.

Presently I go to Rapids MLS games, is this a big drop in talent?

Significant, as this is a league that will often act as the Triple-A of MLS. But the goal of the new ownership will be to, in some fashion, use the new team as a stepping stool to land an MLS Club in CLT by 2020.

• Like 1

Love seeing Memorial stadium home to two minor pro sports teams and getting dollars invested. It's a great venue and The Hounds/Queens SC owners should be given a ton of credit for making it happen. They single handedly are giving the stadium a purpose that the city didn't see and would have demolished it years ago if they had their way. Now I'd love to see someone with the money and passion to do the same for Bojangles Coliseum.

Charlotte needs to hang on to as much of its history that still stands as possible(however little is actually left).

I don't think QCSC will be in USLPro for long.  I imagine if they are even remotely successful out the gate, in 2-4 years they will be NASL or potentially MLS (of course, completely dependent on the ownership and stadium).

I wish that US Soccer would adopt the relegation system, at least for the 1st and 2nd divisions. I think that would generate a lot more interest. The American minor league system based on the MLB model doesn't feel right in this context.

Pardon my french, but f*ck soccer teams that go with FC. This is America, and the game you play with your feet is called soccer... Agree with you somewhat on the SC connotation. And I still think that Burg was on point with Bayern Mecklenburg, although there might be some kind of trademark infringement unless the Munich club was a part-owner in the franchise.

Ha, fair enough. I just don't want to end up with a dorky "mascot" name that feels forced. The Hornets just sounds right. The 'Carolina Lightnin' ... not so much.

I do like Charlotte Town SC, cant lie...

"Charlotte Town SC" looks a lot like

"Charles Town SC"

"Charleston SC"

Charlotte needs to keep away from the abbreviation for 'Soccer Club' unless it can come up with something that makes it distinct from South Carolina (which will be very hard to do).

I like the idea of taking the Spanish "Réal" prefix and using the English "Royal" instead. "Royal Charlotte FC" sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://crowntownsoccer.com/what-we-know-so-far-about-queen-city-soccer-club/

I know there are a few threads this would fit in, but this blogger did a nice, detailed recap of the events leading up to where we are regarding the new USL Pro franchise.

Also, Queen City SC's Facebook page posted this during my lunch break today:

"July 18. Special Day. We'll tell you why later."

Ugh. This is dissappointing unless they can go with Charlotte FC (or whatever) that doesn't use a 'mascot.' I loathe lame mascot names (ie: Flight, Lightning, Bobcats, etc)

"The team will most likely be named “Charlotte [Mascot]“, though according to a recent Facebook post, the team will run a contest fans can use to name the team. "

Ugh. This is dissappointing unless they can go with Charlotte FC (or whatever) that doesn't use a 'mascot.' I loathe lame mascot names (ie: Flight, Lightning, Bobcats, etc)

"The team will most likely be named “Charlotte [Mascot]“, though according to a recent Facebook post, the team will run a contest fans can use to name the team. "

It is important to note that this blogger has only the same information we have access to (internet).  He reasons that they will likely use a mascot name due to the similar competition that the Hounds group held a few years back.  I'd expect them to announce a selection of 3-6 names for vote, with a mix of options with mascots and clubs.

Important to keep in mind, is that ownership has expressed interest in making a push at getting the last MLS expansion spot as the league heads to 24 teams by 2020. Having a very strong brand will be key in this regard, and the league has really embraced clubs like Orlando City (moving from USL Pro) and New York City FC (expansion), or even Sporting KC's rebrand from the horrible Kansas City Wizards. I don't think the equivalent of Charlotte Eagles (or any other silly mascot) is going to get it done if MLS is the ultimate goal. We need a terrific brand, terrific support, a stadium improvement plan, and then... maybe, MLS could happen (though I doubt it).

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Charlotte Town is tricky. The reasons for it are sound, but yet it needs explaining to anyone unfamiliar with the city's history (and frankly that seems to be most of the city), which will make it a branding hurdle. It will have a sense of familiarity to English football fans, I for one start my FIFA campaigns with lowly Fleetwood Town FC. When I have mentioned it to the non-soccer crowd (like my wife and her friends), I get blank stares and a "That doesn't make sense, Charlotte's a big city not a small town..."

Edited by JoshuaDrown