Cascades Park

Florida

I had the opportunity to take a few pictures after work today. Although the sign said "Sidewalks Closed, No Trespassing, I couldn't resist the opportunity to sneak in and take these pictures. I hope you all enjoy them.

SonyShots088.jpg

SonyShots220.jpg

SonyShots221.jpg

SonyShots222.jpg

SonyShots223.jpg

SonyShots224.jpg

SonyShots225.jpg

SonyShots226.jpg

This is a rendering of where this cleanup is going:

rendering3.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not much, but the Democrat has a sweet little article on the nostalgia associated with Centennial Field - soon to be Cascades Park. It certainly doesn't look like a 'fairy land' now, but if enough people in our community are informed about the project, then the intertia will build and maybe something lovely will come out of that 40-foot-deep hole. I still think we should push for a fountain park.

'Fairy Land' gets a new lease on life

The Democrat reports that the city will/may have over $300,000 to spend rehabilitating the old water works building near the Cascades Park site. It would be great if more heritage projects could be combined within the park design. (Do I remember someone suggesting a short-line tourist train running between West Gaines Street - Railroad Square - Cascades Park?)

"Waterworks rennovation approved"

8LE00495_water_sm.gif

• 3 months later...

Capital Cascade Trail - Segment 2

SonyShots103.jpg

I had to be in 2 places at once so honestly, I didn't spend much time at this meeting listening to all of the details. So All I have to show you all are these pictures. Enjoy! :D

SonyShots104.jpg

Man really likes map.

SonyShots102.jpg

Public gathers before the meeting.

TJ, Thanks for your efforts and for "being in two places at once" to keep us all informed. Did you know you were on the news last night? I think it was WCTV...I had just returned from out of town & flipped on the TV & there you were man...looking good in your FSU shirt & hat! T.J. Lewis...media spokesman for Urban Planet-Tallahassee! :)

• 1 month later...

Heads Up!

I got a flyer in the mail the other day:

Capital Cascades Segment #2 (from East P'cola Street to S. Monroe St.) Design Selection Phase Public Workshop #2.

Thursday 9.14 @ DOT Auditorium on Suwanee St.

Open House @ 5:30pm

Presentation @ 6pm

They will present an updated design based on citizen input from the last meeting in July.

Anyone plan on going?

Will TJ be on TV again?

• 2 weeks later...

There was another Cascades Park update meeting tonight. I didn't attend, but the project seems to be moving forward. Blueprint 2000 planners envision trails, a natural amphitheater seating thousands, and the main attraction, a rebirth of sorts, a cascading waterfall.

So far, the contaminated dirt has been trucked out and a storm water facility is near completion. Sight managers say the first test came with Wednesday's downpours, and add so far, so good.

In my opinion, Cascades Park is the piece missing in the Tallahassee Puzzle. Something tells me our community will be transformed when this park reopens.

There was another Cascades Park update meeting tonight. I didn't attend, but the project seems to be moving forward. Blueprint 2000 planners envision trails, a natural amphitheater seating thousands, and the main attraction, a rebirth of sorts, a cascading waterfall.

So far, the contaminated dirt has been trucked out and a storm water facility is near completion. Sight managers say the first test came with Wednesday's downpours, and add so far, so good.

In my opinion, Cascades Park is the piece missing in the Tallahassee Puzzle. Something tells me our community will be transformed when this park reopens.

Does anyone know where those dump trucks fulll of toxic soil are dumping their loads?

I was wondering if they are going to have Restaurants and coffee shops and such around the park and outside dinning with heat lamps for the winter time?? This would be pretty neat and a romantic spot to take the ladies at night. :thumbsup:

Based on the article in the Democrat, there maybe at least one restaurant. I have a particular interest in the proposed waterfall (and fountain) features - especially next to South Monroe Street. This feature will sit nicely with the South Monroe Sector Plan.

http://tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...317/1010/NEWS17

I honestly don't care to think about something negative in wake of so much good progress at Cascades Park. The project is being done by a respected company and is being overseen by Jim Davis and the crew at Blueprint2000.

I'm right there with you on the "delighted with progress" part. We've needed to do something about Cascade Park for years and years. But still, it's a good question. One of the problems we have here in our watershed (and in this country in general) is that we don't pay enough attention to where we dump our waste. Just look at what's happening to the springs south of our city thanks to the southside sludge plant.

It turns out that you're wrong about Blueprint 2000 running that project. They are responsible for building the park but the City of Tallahassee is directing the toxic waste cleanup. The toxins are being taken to a landfill in rurual Georgia, where I would guess, folks aren't quite as educated on what's being dumped in their backyard as our local citizenry would be. I love the city rehetoric on the polution. They call it "petrochemical waste" and don't think that we all remember what it really is and exactly who put it there.

Isn't Blueprint2000 currently an agency of the city and county govt's commissioned to oversee the construction of ALL Blueprint projects. Surely, they would have a keen eye on the Signature project.

I agree! I think its a wonderful project and I'm sure Debbie Lightsey will make sure the contaminants are being properly disposed! :thumbsup:

I agree! I think its a wonderful project and I'm sure Debbie Lightsey will make sure the contaminants are being properly disposed! :thumbsup:

I'm sure it's a proper licensed Class C dump. I'm sure that the contractor (WRS) is following the law. I was just making the point that it's nice that some other community in (hopefully) a different watershed, is willing to take our toxic waste. Anyway...back to the joys of the amazing Cascades park. Here is an old line drawing showing St. Marks from the water, and I believe, in the lower right corner, an image of the cascades as she existed then.

rc05082.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived