Cascades Park

Florida

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok bud you do that. I really want to see what they were talking about when they said a boat was floating in a pond at cascade park.

That was ME who said that. I swear to you, I saw this image and this was the reason I supported the entire concept of Blueprint 2000. At the time, being too young to vote, I made sure all 5 members of my immediate family who could vote, did vote for this measure.

Cascade is a Phenominal natural gift we have abused and must re-use!!! it will do so much for our town. If we could recreate the waterfall, we might have a chance at re-creating some of the history we distroyed. Also, i think tally would love to have some paddle boats DT... maybe 15 bucks rental. Then in the winter we could freeze it and ice skate... ok, i am diggin g to far... but all in all i thought mid next year was a quick clean-up. Just the news will catch attention for our marketability.

Press Release:

City Reaches Agreement on Cascades Park Cleanup

September 26

The City of Tallahassee today announced it has reached agreement with WRS Infrastructure and Environmental Inc., to perform the cleanup / remediation of the Cascades Park site, the adjacent old City landfill and another site east of Gadsden Street. The total cost will be $7.8 million, with $4.2 million already committed in funding from the State of Florida.

The agreement is being added to the City Commission agenda for the meeting this Wednesday. The announcement of an agreement with WRS followed more than eight months of negotiations with the top-ranked vendor selected through a request for qualifications process. That vendor, URS Corporation, initially proposed a price of $12.5 million for the remediation, but had lowered the price as a result of negotiations with the city. Last week, however, when presented with the city's best and final contract, the firm indicated they would not agree to the contract and steps were taken to terminate negotiations with URS and to initiate negotiations with the second ranked firm - WRS. Negotiations began on Friday, September 23, and a signed contract was delivered to the city today (September 26, 2005).

"This contract is essentially the same contract that was offered to the first ranked firm, but includes a savings of at least $100,000 over that contract," said Pat Hurley, assistant city attorney for Tallahassee. The total contract cost is $7,864,322.

"We are delighted to have such a quick turnaround from this vendor, as we are ready to begin work," said Hurley. If approved by the City Commission, work should begin within 90 days.

The remediation work involves excavation and disposal of contaminated soil, capping of the former landfill area, cleaning of the streambed, and cleaning and preparation of the site for future development.

• 1 month later...

Groundbreaking on Cascades Park Cleanup Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Gov. Jeb Bush, Mayor John Marks and others are scheduled to open a new chapter in the history of Cascades Park with a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the cleanup of Cascades Park.

In 1823, the territorial governor of Florida appointed two representatives to establish a capital between St. Augustine and Pensacola, the two largest cities in Florida at the time.

John Lee Williams and William Simmons found a site in Tallahassee near a stream that flowed into what Williams wrote was an "immense chasm" - the site of what now is the closed Cascades Park.

The waterfall was destroyed when the railroad came through in the 1850s. A city landfill and power plant later were located there. Cascades park was closed by the state in 1989 after contamination was found.

------Tallahassee Democrat

Groundbreaking on Cascades Park Cleanup Tomorrow

Today when walking down to the subway on south monroe i spotted city officials touring the cascades park area!!

Also they were standing on CSX tracks above south monroe. maybe they were going to put up a nice entry signs on the delapitated bridge welcoming us to tallahassee :)

Or maybe they were viewing the blight on south monroe and were going to change the way ti looks (south monroe sector plan)

:thumbsup:

Thats a possibility... or maybe its one of those things that we must wait for.

I remember when they were building the IMAX theatre, I loved to watch the live cam... as it was the only thing going on downtown at the time... now that seems ages ago.

When the Cascades are open in a few years, I'm going to make this my favorite spot. I'm still working on an idea to do some creative night lighting with some of our state buildings surrounding cascades park. This park could be monumental in taking Tallahassee back to her roots, it could incorporate historic items such as an old Caboose parked on some tracks, an artifical waterfall to engage little kids, an exhibit on exploration, and maybe a look at a model home from the original settlement.... I think it could be our own little story land... but make it engaging and exciting... a place for parents and kids.

I hope the cascade recreation is spectacular... i wish the RR never Came so close to our beautiful DT... we dont need no stinking CSX... i think the city should require beautification of those RR bridges. they are icky. Do we need the trains to loop through town? they could just aswell be on thier way to jack or pens

thats true... they should have taken those tracks far more south. However, Tallahassee has one of the most historic Rail Road systems in the country ya know!

I still think of the impact I-10 would have had on our city if it were running thru the originally designated location, thru the downtown along the path that Gaines Street takes.

I think I'm most excited about this because this is the segment that is supossed to really showcase some water... something we badly need downtown... oh the pictures I will take!

• 4 weeks later...

Press Release

December 5

The City of Tallahassee will close South Gadsden Street between Bloxham Street and Van Buren Street to motorists on Friday, December 9 for work on the Cascades Park cleanup project. The detour route will be clearly posted. Weather permitting, South Gadsden Street should be reopened to traffic by August 15, 2006.

Update on South Gadsden Street Closure

December 12

The City of Tallahassee will close South Gadsden Street between Bloxham Street and Van Buren Street to motorists on Monday, December 19 for work on the Cascades Park cleanup project. The closure was previously announced to have begun today. The detour route will be clearly posted. Weather permitting, South Gadsden Street should be reopened to traffic by August 19, 2006.

Passed the site the other day and there is a nice green fence around it. Looking at the fence I could see all of the potential this area has. If we do this right, we will have one of the most attractive downtowns in this country.

• 5 weeks later...

Cascades Park

Artist Rendering

fl_Cascades_Park.jpg

Now

rendering3.jpg

Possibility

I figured I'd share this one.

Of course in the possibility rendering the grass should have been cut, and I would have liked to see more color in the vegitation but it was just a rough sketch, so I understand. The main feature in the picture is the water.

Archived