Cascades Park

Florida

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shots. It is good to see them working. Alot of the crews seemed to be out saturday. the Parking garage crew on campus was working too...

You're right... at each construction site I visited today the crews were there... Cloisters, Marriott Residence Inn, Tennyson, and as you said the Cascades. It was such a beautiful day... I guess you couldn't help but want to be outside.

Days like this make me wish I had a yard to groom. One of these days... one of these days!

Days like this make me wish I had a yard to groom. One of these days... one of these days!

You are going to have to decide. Will it be a downtown high-rise condo or a house and garden? I think both are just right for Tallahassee, but that modest city manager's salary might make the mortgage on a second luxury home a bit tight.

You are going to have to decide. Will it be a downtown high-rise condo or a house and garden? I think both are just right for Tallahassee, but that modest city manager's salary might make the mortgage on a second luxury home a bit tight.

:lol: Modest... Tallahassee's City Manager makes over $200,000 a year! But you're right... I do need to decide!

:lol: Modest... Tallahassee's City Manager makes over $200,000 a year!

Wow! 200K is not modest. I am surprised and impressed to hear that we fund such a solid city payroll. So, which of the new condominium penthouses will our present city manager be moving into?

All of our appointed officials (Manager, Attorney, Auditor, Treasurer Clerk...) have relatively high salaries, well into the six figure range. They also drive a vehicle that is leased for them by the City... Ms. Favors seems to have a thing for Acura, I believe Mr. English drives a Tahoe or large SUV of some sort, Treasurer Clerk, I believe he has the same thing as Ms. Favors, and I'm not quite sure about the Auditor.

In the spirit of our "tree city" and seeing how much our citizens are into protecting the environment, it would be a great statement if all the City employees that get to use a city leased vehicle were required to choose a hybrid car. There are several on the market now, I think even Lexus is making one now. The only problem I'd see w/that idea is that hybrids tend to be more expensive and on many makes there is a waiting list. Still I think it's a good idea for the future.

In the spirit of our "tree city" and seeing how much our citizens are into protecting the environment, it would be a great statement if all the City employees that get to use a city leased vehicle were required to choose a hybrid car. There are several on the market now, I think even Lexus is making one now. The only problem I'd see w/that idea is that hybrids tend to be more expensive and on many makes there is a waiting list. Still I think it's a good idea for the future.

I know this is drifting off topic somewhat so I'll make my statement brief, but I do agree. There are Hybrid SUVs to choose from (Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander) in addition to the small selection of cars (2 from Honda, Prius, Camry next year, and the Lexus LS 2007). I think that would be an awesome example for our leaders to set. I wouldn't mind it if they'd purchase smaller cars like the Europeans drive. Toyota is introducing its Yaris vehicle which is Euro looking and gets great gas milage. It will be replacing the Echo.

Back on topic... in the rendering I posted we see children sitting around a pond, and some type of feature in the background that looks like a green set of bleachers. I'd like to see lots of landscaping, a really nice suspension bridge, some rocks, and some really cool open space so we can use the park for Hot Air balloons, water boat racing, kite flying competitions, and so much more. The kids grow up watching these things on t.v. and it would be cool to actually allow them to act them out. These days kids are growing up too fast, we could use this park to get things back to normal.

Here's another rendering of the Capital Cascades Trail. I'm not extremely crazy about the little building thing there in the middle... but this is only a sketch... so I'm not too worried about that. But again you can see what they plan to do with the water.

rendering2.jpg

Here are some other theme pictures being used for this project. They may help to shape the future outcome. The above was an actual rendering of Cascades Park. Below are pictures from other cities.

Themes.jpgThemePictures2.jpg

thats sexy! soo tally! the meandering stream reminds me off what is left of Fallschaces lake lafeyette... it is a stream very similar. will be awsome no doubt. that will keep our DT visitors fit. are they making a waterfall too!? even if only on for special occassions, what an awsome part of history to bring back!

thats sexy! soo tally! the meandering stream reminds me off what is left of Fallschaces lake lafeyette... it is a stream very similar. will be awsome no doubt. that will keep our DT visitors fit. are they making a waterfall too!? even if only on for special occassions, what an awsome part of history to bring back!

I hope they do bring back the waterfall. I think we could do so much with that. I feel like there's tons of opportunity here and we'll probably have another chance to comment on the outcome. They may hold a few more public hearings before they finalize the design. The Blueprint 2000 people are the ones to speak to.

• 2 weeks later...

From Talgov.com

Press Release

Community Open House on Cascades Park Remediation

January 30

The City of Tallahassee will hold a community open house event to provide information and receive input from citizens on the current remediation project underway at Cascades Park. The open house will be held Thursday, February 2, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Myers Park community room, located in the Parks and Recreation Department's administrative complex at 912 Myers Park Drive. The 'open house' format allows citizens to come by at their convenience to view displays, ask questions, and provide input on the project. A brief formal presentation will take place at 7 p.m.

Remediation efforts began earlier this month on the historic park site, and the removal of impacted soils is well underway. The approximately $7.9 million project is being undertaken by WRS Infrastructure & Environment, Inc., a firm specializing in environmental remediation projects. WRS crews will clean up five separate parcels, removing byproducts from past municipal industrial efforts. New, "clean" soil will replace the impacted soil where needed, and a former landfill site will be capped. The company will also clean up the Cascades Creek channel where needed.

Homeowners and employees in workplaces adjacent to the work site may notice occasional odors in the vicinity of the site when the wind increases. WRS crews continuously monitor the air quality on site, and use special compounds to minimize any inconvenient, though harmless odors. City officials and WRS staff have implemented a public education component of the project, with fliers distributed to nearby residents and businesses, information on the city's talgov.com website, and the public open house this Thursday evening.

"One of our most important missions with this project is to keep the public informed at all steps along the way, " said Jennette Curtis from the City's Environmental Resources Office. "I want to emphasize that WRS has been outstanding to work with, and also in their attempts to keep the community informed on what's happening at the Cascades Park site."

The cleanup west of Gadsden Street is being completed under guidelines approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA approved the remediation work plan in December and indicates that all construction activities thus far have been conducted in an environmentally safe and sound manner. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) will be approving a Remedial Action Plan for two land parcels east of Gadsden Street. The U.S. EPA and FDEP will continue to monitor the project by working closely with the City and WRS to ensure the safe removal of the impacted soils, and the performance of other remediation efforts on site. Once the remediation project is completed this summer, the eventual development of Cascades Park will progress as one of the "signature projects" of Blueprint 2000.

Staff from the City and WRS will be in attendance at the February 2 open house event. Officials from the U.S. EPA and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (providing construction oversight services on behalf of EPA) will also be present. For more information, please call the City's Environmental Services office at 891-8852 or visit online at talgov.com

Contact

Bill Behenna, Department of Communications, 891-8533; or Koren Taylor, Environmental Resources, 891-1216

Archived