Cascades Park

Florida

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite frankly, josef, GGG's focus at this time is limited to the Master Craftsman Workshop FSU's Bob Bischoff has proposed for Gaines Street. The members of the group have been asked to expend our efforts to raise $5,500 each so that something tangible can become of Gaines Street in the near future. (Keep in mind I hardly have that much money in my personal bank account).

The dollars we've been asked to raise will go toward building an Iron and Stone Gate around the facility on Gaines Street, which in the rendering also had a substantial parking lot between the actual road and the building. I'm not very excited about the plan, and Poonther knows this, but I've yet to tell the others in the group because I fear the backlash. I'm sorry, but with my limited formal knowledge of Urban Planning, its hard for me to support a one story building, on Gaines Street, set back far enough from the road that a parking lot can sit itself in front of the building, and an iron gate around it to make it a fortress onto itself, located on what is to become a Gateway into the heart of our city. They had my support when my vision allowed me to see a "State-of-the-art Glass-heavy facility" where pedestrians could pass and watch the artist work as if in a "human Aquarium". I've not felt this misled in quite a while.

I'm saddened that this is the case and that we are not exploring our own unique ideas, but I'm but a young, unknown citizen, not elected to any public office, who's words mean very little to this group dominated by some of the most influential politicians and business leaders in Tallahassee. This is the reason for the e-mails between Poonther and I. I'm not quite sure what I think of KCCI and these initiatives right now.

For updates on Cascades Park here's the web address.

Pardon my Rant! :lol:

As far as the KCCI group is concerned, I'm not sure what the focus is. When we had the two day seminar, you all may remember I missed day 2 because I was involved in the Police Chief Interview process. I want to go back to the day when they decided to create this GGG group and the others because perhaps there's something I'm not clear about which is why everyone else seems to be on a different page than myself.

But you're right josef, there is a very fine line to walk here. Many aren't sure of exactly what the Gaines Street Revitalization Plan calls for but have a vision of their own that they are trying to advance. In my opinion, the best people to coordinate the activity throughout this corridor are those working for the City of Tallahassee who are paid to worry about this on a daily basis.

In my mind I would have loved for GGG to promote the major proposed and ongoing projects for the road as well as conjure up some ideas of our own. Thus far we've not brainstormed any ideas of our own which is why I'm reconsidering my role in this whole thing.

I've worked for the city and I hear the talk in those circles. These people are working against many opposing forces that do not want to see Tallahassee progress as a "city on the move" yet they are determined not to let it stop them.

I love the way Anita Favors thinks. I know Michael Wright, Michael Parker, Wayne Tedder, Rick McGraw, and Roxanne Manning. These people want nice things for Tallahassee! Many things weren't anticipated back when the Gaines Street project was finalized such as the rise in construction costs due to a spike in Gasoline and Hurricane Katrina. Nor did we expect the Florida-Tallahassee real-estate market to spin so far out of control that prices so high that even our community's largest pockets cannot afford the land. Also unseen were things such as the new concurrency requirements, and the requirement to roll back the millage rate reducing taxable income.

Despite the fact that there's not much progress on Gaines Street, the City of Tallahassee has made progress in many areas such as Frenchtown, StarMetro, Parks, Public Works, Neighborhoods and more. We shouldn't loose confidence in our City Government because they've not yet delivered on ALL of their plans. At least they've got something to show for the past few years, unlike another local government I can think of.

TJ are you going to the GGG meeting on Wed morning?

I am and I'm going to try and tactfully bring up the issue about the iron fence and the bldg. not pulled to the front. Of course we'll see how far I get b/c like you, they don't care to listen to me since my diddy and gran-diddy aren't from this area and I've not bedded anyone important to them. :)

I like you, joined this group b/c I thought it was a different and fresh way of doing things. I've come to find out now, it's the same ole folks doing things the same ole way. UGH!

I believe in this catalyst group, TJ and I are the only ones w/any type of planning or City Hall experience. I know I was shocked to find out that the head of the Board of the Downtown Improvement Authority (also a member of this group) works at I-10 and T'ville and lives in Bobbin Brook, thus only coming to downtown about twice a month...as opposed to folks like me that are there almost everyday. When I asked this Chairman questions about the downtown, I often have to slow down my questions to catch him up to speed on the parcel I am talking about since his geography memory of downtown is far less than anyone's on this discussion board. He's a nice guy, but he shouldn't be chairman of the DIA. And we wonder why they are having troubles downtown. :)

I like most of the folks I've met over at COT, but I'm not a fan very much of M. Parker's. I know you worked for or with him so I won't say much more. I do love Roxanne Manning though.

I think the best solution for Gaines IMHO isn't through a catalyst group or COT, the best would be to hire outside consultants to run the whole show...of course I understand that is cost prohibitive.

Anyway, I'm gonna stick it out and see if I can do any good or make any changes w/this project. Having a planning background I thought this was going to be a fun, but yet time consuming volunteer adventure for me.....boy was I wrong about that! All my friends tire of me biotching about this group.

Enough said on my part. I'll update you guys as to what occurred at the meeting tomorrow. TJ, I hope you'll be there at least this one last time.....

I won't be there Poonther. I've got myself a good job here, and I'm not about to continue to take time off because these people won't choose times that work better with everyone's schedule. What's wrong with having meetings after 5PM that way I can do my job AND VOLUNTEER! I can't continue to take leave or extended lunch breaks for these 3 hour meetings that could just as easily occur after 5.

That said, good luck to you. I don't know if you remember, but when I mentioned the gate around the facility with the parking in the front at the last meeting, I was shushed and told the design wasn't final and that they would "mention" it later. You're absolutely right to be concerned about someone being the Chairman of the Downtown Improvement Authority and not being very familiar with downtown. Seems, every time someone suggests we meet downtown that certain person suggest not doing it because they don't care to fight traffic, as if Thomasville Road @ I-10 isn't one of the most congested areas in this whole city.

I can't wait until the next full group meeting. Not only do I think I'm going to join another group truly doing something creative in the community (Greenovation, if they'll have me) but I may say something about the structure of GGG.

I understand TJ. I've always thought the meeting times lead to making the group rather elitist. GSVC mets after 5pm, so I don't understand why GGG can't do the same.

I caught that "fighting traffic" comment too and was quite surprised and shocked by it especially since it originated from someone involved w/the DIA.

I'll probably end up working the gate/fence comments through R. Manning since she's suppose to be at this meeting. At least she understands when we say it doesn't fit the overall plan for Gaines.

I think there's a full KCCI meeting either sometime this week or next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone planning on attending this Cascades Open House today?

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../710250385/1010

I missed the last one but am planning on being there......

p.s.- there's already one comment on the tdo article suggesting that we "scrap" the cascades park plans, and he signed off "thompsonf"..........please tell me that's not you assuming the identity of your beloved candidate GG <_< (j/k)

Anyone planning on attending this Cascades Open House today?

<a href="http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/NEWS01/710250385/1010" target="_blank">http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../710250385/1010</a>

I missed the last one but am planning on being there......

p.s.- there's already one comment on the tdo article suggesting that we "scrap" the cascades park plans, and he signed off "thompsonf"..........please tell me that's not you assuming the identity of your beloved candidate GG <_< (j/k)

• 1 month later...

Originally published December 5, 2007

Major sponsor expected for Cascades Park

By Bruce Ritchie

Democrat Staff Writer

A campaign to raise $10 million for Cascades Park amenities kicks off with a news conference this afternoon and an announcement of a major sponsor.

The campaign seeks to raise $10 million for additional park features including a plaza and stage at the planned meridian monument and an interactive water play area. Other features include a waterfall and a Centennial Field commemorative plaza.

Source: TDO.com

This is one of the renderings that i mentioned after attending the last open house back in October. The overall presentation was very impressive, and one of the only questions that I (and several others had) was with regard to the 2 very nice looking buildings forming a V overlooking the square (which is a circle depicting a map of the US centered around Florida). We were told that this was simply the artists using "creative license" in the renderings and that there wasn't any proposal on the table for such a development as of right now <_< .........it would be pretty amazing though to have a condo there w/ a beautiful view overlooking the entire park and just a short walk across the street to the Capitol, etc.

Archived