The name of our region

urbanvb

So, it seems some are trying once again to change our region's name. First it was Tidewater then it was Hampton Roads. Now, Virginia Beach mayor Sessoms is calling our region Coastal Virginia. Personally, I find that a bit vague. I mean I like the name but the eastern shore is also "coastal Virginia" but that is not really specific to our area proper. I haven't traveled extensively but wonder do folks in other states really know where we are. I really doubt it in most cases. I usually would tell folks I live near Norfolk and they kind of nod - though I really wonder if they know where it is specifically. Once again we still suffer from having a good name recognition for our region. 

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/change-regions-name-again-panelists-split

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of Coastal Virginia at all. Every time I hear it, I think it sounds like some small sleepy little beach town, like the town in Jaws.

I didn't mind Hampton Roads, but it's vague, and no one outside of here knows what that is. The most sensible name is Norfolk/Virginia Beach, since a large portion of our tourism and revenue comes between those two cities, whether it's the Oceanfront, military, or businesses. Most major cities or metros go with the name of the city to describe the region (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Raleigh/Durham, etc.).

I get that there are five other cities and about 12 more smaller towns, but N/VB has the most name recognition for the regions I listed above. I grew up in Chesapeake, but if I went out of town, I'd probably say I'm from Norfolk. "Coastal Virginia" is not going to help this region any more than "Hampton Roads" or "Tidewater" did.

I like Hampton Roads but its true no one knows where it is. Coastal Virginia it would narrow it down but I just don't like it, it's so generic. I would prefer Norfolk/Virginia Beach I feel like more. People would know exactly where we are since that's where the tourists go. But what this shows is that we aren't branded this region is not recognized outside of the 1.7 million people that live here and the other possibly couple million that visit but I doubt they know the area as Hampton Roads, this area needs to work together to get ahead not go out and make 15 downtowns if we had one major urban core along with the beach the area would be recognized a lot better and would probably bring a lot more people to the area. But of course this is never going to happen esspecially not with the current leadership.

I was always a fan of "Tidewater" and will call the region that no matter how they try to market it (grew up in Newport News and Gloucester). It is specific (as specific as "Coastal Virginia") and is a single word which to me denotes confidence. Coastal Virginia sounds like a lovely tourist destination but isn't at all commanding. It doesn't sound like a real business or cultural center. I'm not a fan of sharing the city name either (Virginia Beach/Norfolk). Even better than "Tidewater" is just "Norfolk". Norfolk is the reason that anything exists down there. I realize that other cities are as large or larger but the historic, political, educational and cultural center is Norfolk and everyone should just accept that and call their metro that.

I like "Hampton Roads". On the contrary of being vague, it is actually quite specific as it is the nautical term for the safe harbor area of the rivers intersecting at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Those waterways are what join our cities.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but to call the area just "Norfolk" as the seat of the region in all accounts doesn't work. Historically speaking, Virginia Beach was the first land set foot on and has some extremely important and historic places although more spread out than Norfolk: politically speaking - that's up for debate; educate- there education system is a joke , corrupt, and failed...unfortunately; with the VA symphony, two opera companies, many theaters in close proximity, and the Chrysler Museum, I'll give you cultural.

As a complete outsider that has only visited your area once before I think Norfolk/Virginia Beach would tell me two things. One that Norfolk is the city and probably the place where I fly too. Two, by having Virginia Beach listed it's a reminder that oh yeah they also have a beach.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but to call the area just "Norfolk" as the seat of the region in all accounts doesn't work. Historically speaking, Virginia Beach was the first land set foot on and has some extremely important and historic places although more spread out than Norfolk: politically speaking - that's up for debate; educate- there education system is a joke , corrupt, and failed...unfortunately; with the VA symphony, two opera companies, many theaters in close proximity, and the Chrysler Museum, I'll give you cultural. 

I'm sorry, but to say that Norfolk ISN'T the historic, political, educational, and cultural center of the region is completely wrong. None of these other cities would be here without Norfolk. Sure, VA Beach might be a small resort area, but it would be nothing like it is today without Norfolk. Virginia Beach is a suburb with a beach and some other great attractions, plain and simple. It experienced some decline in the last few decades of the 20th century, but Norfolk is THE city of the region. 

As a complete outsider that has only visited your area once before I think Norfolk/Virginia Beach would tell me two things. One that Norfolk is the city and probably the place where I fly too. Two, by having Virginia Beach listed it's a reminder that oh yeah they also have a beach.

...which is why I think Norfolk/Virginia Beach would be a great name for the region. As FrankNash says, it tells outsiders that Norfolk is the urban center of the region but hey, we have Virginia Beach too. 

I like "Hampton Roads". On the contrary of being vague, it is actually quite specific as it is the nautical term for the safe harbor area of the rivers intersecting at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Those waterways are what join our cities.

Norfolk has Norfolk State, Old Dominion, Joint Forces Staff College, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Virginia Wesleyan (at least part of the campus), and is the headquarters of Tidewater Community. No other city in the area has more than two 4-year schools (VB with Regent and VWC). So yeah, it IS the center of education in this region.

As for a nickname, at least don't call it Seven Cities. I always hated that name, mostly because it wasn't accurate. There are TEN cities in this metro-area.

Educationally, I was thinking city school system...which is bad.

NSU has a mountain of problems with regards to graduation rate and accreditation...meaning no disrespect to NSU alumni. The headquaters of TCC... Otherwise, isn't each TCC pretty much equal.

I don't know if I'd count military schools in that list but don't forgot Little Creek in Va Beach has the Armed Forces School of Music, Dam neck hosts the Fleet Combat Training Center Atlantic, Marine Corps Intelligence school...Hell, Dam Neck IS a school, Oceana has flight schools, Aviation Mantainence school, weapons school, and then all those other VB campuses of South Univ, Strayer, Phoenix, Bryant & Stratton, ODU, NSU, Hampton Univ., Edgar Cayce's ARE, ECPI, and St. Leo University.

Archived