Hotel and Apartment Projects in the Downtown LR Area

On January 20, 2016 at 10:44 AM, adman0468 said:

This hotel just seems a bit too far off the beaten path. I realize the River Market area is growing (and Main Street is, too), but right now it doesn't seem like the right place for it. Same goes for the Aloft IMO.

I get what you're saying.  But I would tend to disagree with you about Main Street in general.  There is too much going on along Main Street for the Aloft not to do well.  But to each his own.  I do think that the Sixth St. property is likely to have problems more so than others because of decreased exposure to the Main Street corridor and the brand's unproven track record.  

On 3/27/2014 at 1:18 PM, skirby said:

Hotel projects announced or under construction:

Hilton Homewood Suites: 115 rooms announced for Fourth St and River Market Avenue

Hilton Garden Inn: 135 rooms announced for Fourth and Cumberland $16 million

Boyle Building redevelopment  Main and Capitol.

Apartment projects announced or under construction:

K-Lofts 32 units under construction 315 Main

Main Street Lofts: 70 units under construction 500 block Main

Capitol Lofts: 56 units announced 200 block Capitol

MacArthur Commons: 84 units under construction (new) East Capitol and River Market Avenue

The Magnolia: 12 units redevelopment of the Voss apartment building. East Capitol and Rock

I thought I would update this list.

Hotel Projects.

Hilton Homewood Suites: completed.

Hilton Garden Inn: permits issued with completion date now 2017.

Boyle Building Aloft: at this time construction has stopped.

Vib: 100 room development just announced.

Apartment Projects

K Lofts: development has stopped.

Main Street Lofts: development has stopped.

Capitol Lofts: development has stopped.

MacArthur Commons: completed.

The Magnolia: completed.

Legion Village: 36 units, under construction.

615 Main: 7 units under construction.

27 minutes ago, skirby said:

I thought I would update this list.

Hotel Projects.

Hilton Homewood Suites: completed.

Hilton Garden Inn: permits issued with completion date now 2017.

Boyle Building Aloft: at this time construction has stopped.

Vib: 100 room development just announced.

Apartment Projects

K Lofts: development has stopped.

Main Street Lofts: development has stopped.

Capitol Lofts: development has stopped.

MacArthur Commons: completed.

The Magnolia: completed.

Legion Village: 36 units, under construction.

615 Main: 7 units under construction.

Thanks for the update.  I will note that LRretail recently confirmed that the Aloft is supposed to start construction in March/April.  I hope that's true...definitely the largest, most impactful development pending on Main short of the Tech Park (and maybe in some ways, more of a higher traffic project...definitely higher profile). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With Architect stating on another thread that he is hearing that the Vib project may be dead, with the Aloft seeming to be the same and still no start to the Hilton Garden Inn, what once looked like an active downtown hotel market is now basically non-existent. It seems that only a certain few developers can get these hotel projects off the ground.

1 hour ago, theman said:

With Architect stating on another thread that he is hearing that the Vib project may be dead, with the Aloft seeming to be the same and still no start to the Hilton Garden Inn, what once looked like an active downtown hotel market is now basically non-existent. It seems that only a certain few developers can get these hotel projects off the ground.

I would VERY much like to see both (or at least either) the Vib or Aloft happen...we need a "modern" hotel option downtown.  Regardless though, with what seems like 4-5 hotels developed in the past 3-4 years in the River Market alone, I wouldn't label the downtown hotel market anything other than active...though arguably saturated at this point.

The Aloft REALLY needs to happen to anchor Main Street.  It's a significant marque on the most significant corner in downtown Little Rock, and would do a lot to "legitimize" the momentum building along Main Street.

On April 2, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Architect said:

I would VERY much like to see both (or at least either) the Vib or Aloft happen...we need a "modern" hotel option downtown.  Regardless though, with what seems like 4-5 hotels developed in the past 3-4 years in the River Market alone, I wouldn't label the downtown hotel market anything other than active...though arguably saturated at this point.

The Aloft REALLY needs to happen to anchor Main Street.  It's a significant marque on the most significant corner in downtown Little Rock, and would do a lot to "legitimize" the momentum building along Main Street.

I was referring more that the potential development of hotels is basically non- existent now. Three hotels have opened in the River Market area in the past 5 or so years, but an article in Arkansas Business a few weeks ago said that occupancy rates in the downtown area were a little over 70%. Most of the time that type of occupancy rate spurs development of other hotels. Three were in the pipeline but it seems like none are going to happen anytime soon or if at all. 

I agree with you that the Aloft on Main needs to happen. That seemed like a no brainer with everything else going on on Main, but that goes back to my point that it seems that only a few developers can pull these things off. If their names aren't attached to a development I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Edited by theman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 2:11 PM, skirby said:

YNEpVb.jpg

NaqobJ.jpg

Maybe the billboard will come down.

MT is facing opposition on this project from the Historic District Commission. Too big, too tall. MT has already taken the height down  to 44.5 feet and removed the swimming pool and three apartments. It will now have 50 apartments.

11 hours ago, skirby said:

MT is facing opposition on this project from the Historic District Commission. Too big, too tall. MT has already taken the height down  to 44.5 feet and removed the swimming pool and three apartments. It will now have 50 apartments.

Does anyone have a link or image to post of what's being proposed?

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, skirby said:

Scott Street Lofts was approved by the Historic District Commission after a few design changes. These changes include reducing the number of units to 48 and reducing the roof line among other design items.

2MQ3jd.jpg

I drive by the corner everyday. It will be nice to see this instead of an empty lot.

Here is the full presentation: http://posting.arktimes.com/media/pdf/20160509_presentation4.pdf

The rezoning for the Donaghey Building redevelopment will go before the LR City Board on May 17th. This looks like it will pass without any problems. With 154 units and the soon to be under construction  Scott Street Lofts there will be 200 apartment units within two blocks of each other.

On 5/4/2016 at 2:08 PM, skirby said:

Looks like work on the Hilton Garden Inn will start soon. The construction fence is going up around that part of the block.

9Oruqh.jpg

The demolition of the building above is almost complete. Construction should start soon.

On 5/12/2016 at 1:34 PM, skirby said:

The rezoning for the Donaghey Building redevelopment will go before the LR City Board on May 17th. This looks like it will pass without any problems. With 154 units and the soon to be under construction  Scott Street Lofts there will be 200 apartment units within two blocks of each other.

The cost of this project is said to be $21 million.