Hotel and Apartment Projects in the Downtown LR Area

7 hours ago, Architect said:

With respect to condominiums, one has to assume that any small to mid-sized urban area only has a certain "market" for urban, high-rise living.  As I understand it, 300 Third did quite well, yet River Market Tower struggled a bit...probably due to some mixture of both the economic downturn of 2008-9 and a limited appetite/market for condo ownership by that point.  Frankly, I think it's pretty impressive to what extent Little Rock has seen development in this area with 3-4 mid to high-rise modern towers.  I could see the market expanding over the next 15-20 years to support additional construction, especially with urban-savvy millennials moving into higher incomes in the future.

I think 300 Third did well because of its location and the users in the building were set up better.  The River Market Tower is still not completely sold.  I know that several of the investors in the River Market Tower got really gunshy with regard to future investments after that.  I still feel like the multi-use building at 521 Pres. Clinton Ave is the best out of the Moses Tucker projects with the hotel, bank, office, and condo uses.  I feel like that's what the Boyle Building on Main Street might turn into after all is said and done.  

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/3/2016 at 9:42 AM, truckie6606 said:

Moses Tucker has placed a for sale sign on the lot previously slated for the Vibe Hotel project (6th & Cumberland).  As rumored above, looks like this project is officially dead.

The property has been sold to a group affiliated with Moses Tucker. The Arkansas DG is reporting that a  mixed-used project is a possibility for the property.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/26/2016 at 10:55 AM, skirby said:

I thought I would update this list.

Hotel Projects.

Hilton Homewood Suites: completed.

Hilton Garden Inn: permits issued with completion date now 2017.

Boyle Building Aloft: at this time construction has stopped.

Vib: 100 room development just announced.

Apartment Projects

K Lofts: development has stopped.

Main Street Lofts: development has stopped.

Capitol Lofts: development has stopped.

MacArthur Commons: completed.

The Magnolia: completed.

Legion Village: 36 units, under construction.

615 Main: 7 units under construction.

It has been almost a year since the last update, so here goes.

Hilton Garden Inn: topping out should be at anytime.

Boyle Building Aloft: no word if construction will restart.

Holiday Inn Express: located on the same block as the Hilton Garden Inn. Opening scheduled for the summer of 2018.

Vib: cancelled and property sold to MT.

Apartment Projects

K Lofts: no progress.

Main Street Lofts: no progress.

Capitol Lofts: no progress but a zoning application was before the board this week and a new developer is looking at the project.

Legion Village: completed.

615 Main: completed.

Scott Street Flats: 48 units under construction.

Donaghey Building: no further word .

The Paint Factory: 16 units located on the second floor of Cromwell Architects new HQ now under construction.

The Artisan on Collins: 75-80 units proposed.

44 minutes ago, skirby said:

Holiday Inn Express: located on the same block as the Hilton Garden Inn. Opening scheduled for the summer of 2018.

Apartment Projects

Capitol Lofts: no progress but a zoning application was before the board this week and a new developer is looking at the project.

The Paint Factory: 16 units located on the second floor of Cromwell Architects new HQ now under construction.

Nice to see some of the projects were completed and to see additional ones underway; are the K Lofts/Main St held up due to all the shenanigans that have been going on?  Doesn't seem that it would be due to lack of demand with all the other projects being developed.  I am still disappointed the Aloft never got off the ground, would have been a nice addition to the downtown area.

Edited by Gentileking

2 hours ago, Gentileking said:

Nice to see some of the projects were completed and to see additional ones underway; are the K Lofts/Main St held up due to all the shenanigans that have been going on?  Doesn't seem that it would be due to lack of demand with all the other projects being developed.  I am still disappointed the Aloft never got off the ground, would have been a nice addition to the downtown area.

I'm sure the Aloft hotel group believes Little Rock to be cursed.  Our citizens ran them out of town (or rather, the "River Market") the first round, then the developer ran them out this round on Main.  What a joke.

20 hours ago, skirby said:

Apartment Projects

Holiday in express on same block as Hilton garden inn? How accurate is this? Doesn't seem to be room for that on the block but if so that's exciting

On 12/17/2016 at 9:00 AM, Heartland25 said:

Holiday in express on same block as Hilton garden inn? How accurate is this? Doesn't seem to be room for that on the block but if so that's exciting

After the Hilton Garden Inn is finished the west half of the block is still undeveloped expect for parking.

• 3 weeks later...

Also found this on AMR's website of a project that was designed but never built. It would front the parking deck on 3rd between 300 Third Tower and Arkansas Capital Commerce Center. The project would be constructed from shipping containers and would contain 20 apartments along with commercial space. Too bad this one didn't work out.

3jKam2.jpg

1YGdIm.jpg

As I understand it, that project was entirely conceptual, and envisioned within their office.  It was never a real project.  Nicely done, none-the-less.  I believe it won a "Citation" award at this year's AIA Arkansas Design Awards competition, which is the category for "unbuilt" or conceptual work.

16 hours ago, skirby said:

Rendering of the Clayton on Scott(Scott Street Flats) by AMR Architects, a MT project. Completion date August 2017.

Moses-Tucker does some aesthetically pleasing things in Little Rock.  I was a bit disappointed to know they are working with SRG/Modus in Fayetteville for a project.  Modus Studios doesn't create anything that I like to look at.  Their Beechwood Village project might be the ugliest collection of buildings in Fayetteville history.

I'd like to see MT do some development in Fayetteville similar to what they've done in downtown Little Rock.  

Edited by wmr

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from 4th next to the clock tower at the River Cities Travel Center. The Hilton Garden Inn has been topped out and the main entrance will be facing 4th in the middle of the block.  From the renderings I always thought the entrance would be at 4th and Rock. The 7th floor will be a lounge offering skyline views of LR.

1Wo0a9.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

The Capitol Lofts will be moving from an apartment development to a hotel development. The Hall-Davidson building is under contract, which should close in either April or May. The change over to a hotel will include a restaurant, bar and common area. The developer is in talks to bring a  boutique hotel  with a redevelopment of the building taking between 12 and 18 months. The project also includes the annex next door. When this is completed the entire block facing Capitol on the south side will have been redone. The Sterling building next door to these two is going under renovation by one of the partners of Rock Capital Real Estate, which is the developer on the hotel project.

dvc38R.jpg

Edited by skirby

I hope this project comes to fruition. We have seen other hotel projects announced for downtown that have gone no where or have stalled. There are only certain developers that when they announce a project I believe that it will get developed (Moses/Tucker, Pinnacle Hotel Group). Rock Capital make me a believer.

Edited by theman

In the review of downtown development by the Arkansas Times there is a section on Moses Tucker. It states that the property MT bought, that was to be the Vib Hotel development, might turn out to be a 6 story mixed-use building containing ground floor retail and apartments above. With the Clayton on Scott apartments opening in the summer this might be MT's next project.

• 3 weeks later...

Two projects that have been in the works for some time my be advancing. Arkansas Business reports this morning that  new funding for the K Lofts project could be finalized at any time. Also, on this months Planning Commission agenda is a revised request for the Donaghey Building down Main Street from the K Lofts project.

On 3/13/2017 at 8:49 AM, skirby said:

Two projects that have been in the works for some time my be advancing. Arkansas Business reports this morning that  new funding for the K Lofts project could be finalized at any time. Also, on this months Planning Commission agenda is a revised request for the Donaghey Building down Main Street from the K Lofts project.

Arkansas Business today reports that funding for the K Lofts project is a done deal and construction should be completed soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 3:07 PM, skirby said:

The Capitol Lofts will be moving from an apartment development to a hotel development. The Hall-Davidson building is under contract, which should close in either April or May. The change over to a hotel will include a restaurant, bar and common area. The developer is in talks to bring a  boutique hotel  with a redevelopment of the building taking between 12 and 18 months. The project also includes the annex next door. When this is completed the entire block facing Capitol on the south side will have been redone. The Sterling building next door to these two is going under renovation by one of the partners of Rock Capital Real Estate, which is the developer on the hotel project.

dvc38R.jpg

The property has been purchased and construction is scheduled to start in October.