Stone Avenue/North End

vicupstate

34 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

It's an out of date building that nobody goes to. It would get 50 times the number of visitors if it were part of Heritage Green. 

I completely understand all of that. Even if the war museum itself were to move (which, to your point, would be a great idea at Heritage Green), the actual building is historic and should be saved IMO. 

About the building: In 1919, fifteen World War 1 veterans from Greenville established Post 3 of the American Legion. This was the Post's first dedicated lodge. It was built 1933-1934 on municipal land using locally quarried granite.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

I completely understand all of that. Even if the war museum itself were to move (which, to your point, would be a great idea at Heritage Green), the actual building is historic and should be saved IMO. 

About the building: In 1919, fifteen World War 1 veterans from Greenville established Post 3 of the American Legion. This was the Post's first dedicated lodge. It was built 1933-1934 on municipal land using locally quarried granite.

You have a valid point.  If this were Charleston they would keep the building and  OVER it, but we don't go to that extreme here.   

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Any idea what it would take to move a building like that to Heritage Green?

I would estimate  around $100k.   All of the streets involved are very wide, no tree limbs would likely need to be trimmed. Few if any overhead power lines involved.  

At a March 27 City Council meeting, Assistant City Manager Shannon Lavrin said city staff is beginning a search for a broker to help sell the roughly 2-acre property. 

“We’re anticipating an urbanized form on this property because of its location and its ability to have height,” Lavrin said.

Lavrin said she expects the city’s economic development department will select a broker for the property within the next two months. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/news/greenville-putting-prime-downtown-municipal-court-real-estate-on-the-market/article_abf16200-ce65-11ed-832f-2f7855f0f11f.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

At a March 27 City Council meeting, Assistant City Manager Shannon Lavrin said city staff is beginning a search for a broker to help sell the roughly 2-acre property. 

“We’re anticipating an urbanized form on this property because of its location and its ability to have height,” Lavrin said.

Lavrin said she expects the city’s economic development department will select a broker for the property within the next two months. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/news/greenville-putting-prime-downtown-municipal-court-real-estate-on-the-market/article_abf16200-ce65-11ed-832f-2f7855f0f11f.html

Yeah we can never have too many 5 story buildings! :ph34r:

Seriously though,  I do think this site would be good for redevelopment, as so with the municipal court building, but I do hope they will move it to save the building. 

On 4/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, vicupstate said:

110 W. Stone Ave sold on 4/8/22 for $425k.  Parcel is .158 acres. Buyer owns the adjoining .327 acre parcel at 108 W. Stone Ave.  

There was a neighborhood meeting of sorts recently for E. Park Historic District. There is no immediate plans for these four properties, at minimum they said We Took The Woods (one of the four) would be open through the holidays and next spring. I wasn't at the meeting, but they did also mention the property across the street from the new townhomes but I do not recall what was reported. 

Although GMan430 mentioned the baby Bilo in a separate thread, feedback in that meeting was that nothing imminent was planned. 

All of this is second hand, will try to get more details. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 11:11 AM, Gville2012 said:

There was a neighborhood meeting of sorts recently for E. Park Historic District. There is no immediate plans for these four properties, at minimum they said We Took The Woods (one of the four) would be open through the holidays and next spring. I wasn't at the meeting, but they did also mention the property across the street from the new townhomes but I do not recall what was reported. 

Although GMan430 mentioned the baby Bilo in a separate thread, feedback in that meeting was that nothing imminent was planned. 

All of this is second hand, will try to get more details. 

https://apps.dhec.sc.gov/Environment/PublicNotices/SearchAndDisplay/PDF/27687

“BMP Stone Avenue, LLC plans to redevelop the property with mixed-use retail and a possible hotel, condominiums, or apartments.”

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 2

On 4/1/2023 at 1:13 AM, gman430 said:

https://apps.dhec.sc.gov/Environment/PublicNotices/SearchAndDisplay/PDF/27687

“BMP Stone Avenue, LLC plans to redevelop the property with mixed-use retail and a possible hotel, condominiums, or apartments.”

Thats a broad set of options. I am sure at some point they will, but nothing until at least this time next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm honestly surprised that things like this and also boarding houses aren't becoming more common.  The cost of housing these days is ridiculous and I don't just mean in Greenville.  I'm so glad I lived in a generation when housing was not half your paycheck right out of school.    

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...