Twelve Weston (Formerly known as 35 and 41 S Division)

ModSquad

Thank goodness!

It is far past time for this property to have been repaired. The people that own this should be ashamed of themselves. They are behaving like property trolls just sitting onto an obviously crumbling building in hopes of what? Somehow landing a huge payday? They clearly have no money to repair this, and never seem to have bother to put it up for sale during the early Heartside building boom.

This is a dangerous situation leaving it like this. Can you imagine if the side just gave way during ArtPrize and the whole thing collapsed? I hope they are both fined into bankruptcy. The building is likely not salvageable.

And while the city is at it, can they put a boot in the rear of whomever owns that boarded-up building next to Richmond Stamping before that starts to decay too?

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how long they have been sagging? From my recollection, I think it has been a very long time (have the floors ever been straightened?).

I walk behind these buildings every day and the interesting thing is the backs of both building seem completely straight. 

I agree with what everyone is saying. Save if at all possible... but is it? 

Speaking of unpassable sidewalks, what about the Keeler Building on North Division. Who's working on improving that situation?

Joe

Joe - I heard there is a stream that runs under this building leading to the Grand River which is why it is sagging.  I also heard is has been leaning like this for a very long time.  I do not know what is happening with the Keeler building but in a discussion I was having on another forum about problem properties downtown, Suzanne Schulz mentioned that something is going to be announced soon to go in this space.

• Like 1

Let's be clear what's happening with these:  As I read it, the sidewalk was shut down primarily because of the crumbling facade.  They also just put netting around Degage for similar issues.  I did not read that there was a safety issue because the buildings are sagging or present an imminent risk of collapse, although there are clear structural issues that need some remediation or repair. 

This may be the same stream that runs through the Heritage Hill area, or at least a similar situation.  There are houses in the, I believe 400-500 south blocks that are leaning a good foot from one side to the other.  Still structurally sound, so I've been told.

It's a shame these buildings have been allowed to rot away like this.  Here's hoping the fix isn't too bad. These are both pretty great structures whose replacements would likely be a long time coming and much more cheaply built in terms of aesthetics. 

Edited by x99

I'm no structural engineer, and haven't been inside, but 35 S Division looks too far gone.  And I didn't realize it before, but 35 is very small. It only occupies half the lot. The back half is parking.  With as much work as that building will need I can't imagine it would be profitable to fix up such a small space.

I hope someone will come up with a plan to fix 41 S Division.  It looks saveable to me.  Fix the foundation. Get rid of the awful field stone (who thought that was a good idea?).  And replace the inappropriate windows. Obviously there is more to it then that, but those are the big things that stick out.

Edited by Gorath

I have been in 35 Division and can concur it is too far gone.   The middle of the building is bowed out by several feet.  It would be a feat of engineering wizardry to figure out how the raise the sagging south foundation wall while literally pushing in the building from the middle on the north side.

• Like 1

I have been in 35 Division and can concur it is too far gone.   The middle of the building is bowed out by several feet.  It would be a feat of engineering wizardry to figure out how the raise the sagging south foundation wall while literally pushing in the building from the middle on the north side.

Whoa... I didn't realize it was that far off.  The top two floors look relatively straight, and it doesn't look like much more than a sagging corner from the street.  They must be concealing a lot beneath the ugly first floor facade.  If it could be stabilized, though, and left alone, it would be sort of neat...

If 35 is indeed too far gone, could it be tough to save the other?  I have always assumed the two buildings were holding each other up to some degree...

Thank goodness!

It is far past time for this property to have been repaired. The people that own this should be ashamed of themselves. They are behaving like property trolls just sitting onto an obviously crumbling building in hopes of what? Somehow landing a huge payday? They clearly have no money to repair this, and never seem to have bother to put it up for sale during the early Heartside building boom.

This is a dangerous situation leaving it like this. Can you imagine if the side just gave way during ArtPrize and the whole thing collapsed? I hope they are both fined into bankruptcy. The building is likely not salvageable.

And while the city is at it, can they put a boot in the rear of whomever owns that boarded-up building next to Richmond Stamping before that starts to decay too?

My sentiments exactly. Both of these properties have been slumping for years now - shame on the owners who have allowed this to happen and shame on city authorities for not taking action on this earlier. And I too have often wondered about the boarded-up building next to Richmond Stamping - prime location and yet it seems to be stuck in some kind of weird, late 1970's time warp.

I suspect that the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle here.  I took a close look at the buildings this morning, and I don't see a "couple feet" of movement, but it's really hard to tell.  If it is a hollow that everyone has apparently been aware of for YEARS why have these geniuses not hired a concrete truck to at least blow it full of flowable fill to  attempt to stop the deterioration?  And if they don't have any money, why haven't they sold the buildings already?  Too stubborn?

Edited by x99

I agree. I ask about this building about once a year on the forum. Any movement? Such a good building in an excellent location. Can't believe it hasn't been rehabbed yet.

Joe

I think that building is owned by a 63+ year old make-up artist / hair stylist / barber. The building is probably part of his long time plan to open his own salon. :rolleyes:

Someone like 616 needs to talk to this guy.

I agree. I ask about this building about once a year on the forum. Any movement? Such a good building in an excellent location. Can't believe it hasn't been rehabbed yet.

Joe

I don't think anyone (here) has talked to him in 5 or 6 years. If he was 65 then, he's over 70 now. Might be more willing to sell...

I don't think anyone (here) has talked to him in 5 or 6 years. If he was 65 then, he's over 70 now. Might be more willing to sell...

I recall some discussion of that property over on The Salon group on Facebook.  However, that forum is very difficult to do a "search" on, since facebook's search function kind of sucks, and I think the topic came up in discussion of something else.

Anyhow, my recollection was that the it was just an older gentleman who didn't want to sell, yet.  That would line up with GRDad's comment above.  I guess with something like that, you just have to wait him out??  It's certainly unfortunate for the neighborhood to have a property like that lying unused in a prime location.

I recall some discussion of that property over on The Salon group on Facebook.  However, that forum is very difficult to do a "search" on, since facebook's search function kind of sucks, and I think the topic came up in discussion of something else.

Anyhow, my recollection was that the it was just an older gentleman who didn't want to sell, yet.  That would line up with GRDad's comment above.  I guess with something like that, you just have to wait him out??  It's certainly unfortunate for the neighborhood to have a property like that lying unused in a prime location.

I think someone with the resources to buy the building should make him an offer. When reporters from Mlive call him and ask him if he'd sell, he's undoubtedly going to say he's not selling. :)

• 3 months later...

Didn't appear to be anything planned... Just bulldoze for a grass lot. I'd love to see something more substantive there.

Something new and shiny there might kickstart re-use of 25 S Division, which has been pretty underutilzied since Cybernet left. Colorful and market rate please.

They have to go through the HPC  :sick:   Do you think the HPC will be absurd and obstruct these things from going away?    I have a feeling that once the lot is cleared It won't be long before something gets going there.  Especially given the synergy of the Heartside. 

They have to go through the HPC  :sick:   Do you think the HPC will be absurd and obstruct these things from going away?    I have a feeling that once the lot is cleared It won't be long before something gets going there.  Especially given the synergy of the Heartside. 

No, you can demolish a structure in an historic district. They have a specific application and set of requirements to meet. A notice from the city that the building is unstable and about to fall on the sidewalks would probably suffice.