The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

Maybe this developer can kick-in some funds to help the Gulch bridge moving forward...

For some reason, I think I heard that condos would be a part of this project.  If correct (IDK where I saw that), then a question would be if the condos will be going on top of the hotel... or in an adjacent building.  I am sure I read that retail is a part of this project... although I haven't seen anything about how much retail. Just an aside, this would be an incredible spot for a downtown mall like in San Antonio, as it would bridge the SoBro and Gulch areas.  

I can understand keeping the HQ, but what motivates your allegiance to the warehouse? I think that portion is pretty unattractive, myself. (I work in Cummins Station and have to look at the top of it regularly, so that may color my opinion.)

Surely it's very structurally sound if they can park a fleet of vehicles on top of it... Maybe they can add to the structure and build up? In that vicinity, any single-story structure's days are numbered, IMO.

Mainly the Demonbreun facade, I guess.    Agree the side facing Cummins is not much to look at.   But the interior space must be huge.   Just thought it might work as retail or restaturant space.     Plus, as you say it could go vertical.    

I have also worked in Cummins Station and had to look out my window at the autos... If the main parking lot for Cummins Station is included in the land buy this may be an opportunity to save the warehouse and build upon the parking lot thus presenting a much better view to all. That being said a one-storey structure may be a hard sale for such an expensive land buy.

The Weston project at this time is a mystery. We can only speculate what will be involved. It will take the Cokesbury building and parking lot and the two buildings directly behind it on the same block. As far as I know it does not include the other building on Clark on the same block.

The rest of the UMP site includes the large building on the corner, the warehouse with the parking deck on top, and the Cummins Station parking lot. There may be something happening to the rest of the UMP site as they are looking at a move to Metro Center and there was core drilling taking place on the property last week. This may be one of the next big announcements coming, although I know of at least four (big and medium size) that have not been announced.

My mother-in-law took her first job out of Vandy at the UMPH in (I'm pretty sure) 1961... and she still talks about how it was air-conditioned (pretty rare even then).  She also mentioned that she stood out at the corner (Demonbreun and 8th) and saw JFK ride past in an open convertible. Personally, I have never been anywhere near that building... but it exudes mid century modern. 

• 2 weeks later...

For aesthetic reasons and others, I've always been fascinated with W and Westin properties. Even though not all of them are intricate and handsome buildings/properties, I really hope Starwood and the other groups who build the hotel make the investment and create something substantial and aesthetically pleasing here in Nashville.