The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

^I really dont see the complaints about this.

1.)As far as i know, It's not done yet 2.) It actually looks pretty good (dont kill me lol) 3.) I didn't expect it to look 100% like the rendering, but it looks pretty damn close. 4.) and like I said before, this is skyline-changing, very prominent when looking south.

Maybe I'm not seeing something.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

1.)As far as i know, It's not done yet 2.) It actually looks pretty good (dont kill me lol) 3.) I didn't expect it to look 100% like the rendering, but it looks pretty damn close. 4.) and like I said before, this is skyline-changing, very prominent when looking south.

Because this is what it looks like straight on:

The_Westin_-_100_Clark_Place-20160912-105842.jpg

Like you said, though...maybe they're not done with the windows and they'll do something that makes it look better.

Edited by titanhog

On 9/13/2016 at 6:17 PM, PruneTracy said:

I don't think this arrangement is particularly egregious. The JW Marriott will front Eighth Avenue, and across from the Westin the Music City Center doesn't activate the street either due to the limitations of the floor plan. Consider also that from a vehicular perspective this segment is a transition into and out of the roundabout, at least up to Clark Place.

All told, if the parcels fronting the roundabout and filling out KVB are activated properly I don't think the ~75 yards of street frontage taken up by the Westin's ballrooms will be noticed by pedestrians. In any case there's a lot more density and activation potential for the hotel on the "back" of the property (facing Ninth Avenue), especially now that Zach Liff got his land deal from Metro for the Gulch pedestrian bridge. We may find in time that there are more peds using Clark Place than Eighth.

The rooms are already going to be hot given the lack of tinting, especially on the west side. If they absorbed any more sunlight by installing curtains with dark backing you might see guests sticking aluminum foil to the windows, make the whole thing look like a 30-story meth lab.

I got a good hearty laugh out of that line.

On 9/13/2016 at 1:05 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Yes, I think there will come a day not too far into the future where the city of Nashville is going to regret approving all of these unnecessary 'sidecar' parking garages, ballrooms etc...that is a large piece of valuable land fronting a main thoroughfare that is essentially being taken up by a two story meeting hall that will be empty most of the time.

This is exactly what I have been saying. The JW Marriott is the best example of this. Such a waste to have only one tower on a huge site

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

This is exactly what I have been saying. The JW Marriott is the best example of this. Such a waste to have only one tower on a huge site

There's a lot of examples of this.  JWM...Westin...and even Skyhouse.  That Skyhouse garage is the perfect place for another tower.  Many structures around here that have a tower and then a parking garage taking up as much, if not more, land right beside it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

There's a lot of examples of this.  JWM...Westin...and even Skyhouse.  That Skyhouse garage is the perfect place for another tower.  Many structures around here that have a tower and then a parking garage taking up as much, if not more, land right beside it.

I gotta feeling they're gonna announce a second skyhouse. I mean they did it in charlotte and nashville's a hot market

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

You're talking about Stix, right? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

You must not be seeing any of these pictures  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The old adage, " the wolf in sheep's clothing" rings very true here. This is a Westin in Holiday Inn clothing. That's really all I can say about this building. Extremely disappointing. Of course, I've always said the same of Knoxville's downtown Hilton...

Edited by troyboytn

..I'm just going refrain from being prematurely conclusive, so I'll just stretch a bit of patience and give it the benefit of the doubt, for now, as it appears to approach the final elements toward completion. Only after that deep breath and grace period will I then officially declare it tacky.

Edited by rookzie

22 minutes ago, rookzie said:

..I'm just going refrain from being prematurely conclusive, so I'll just stretch a bit of patience and give it the benefit of the doubt, for now.   As it appears to approach the final elements toward completion.  Only after that deep breath and grace period will I then officially declare it tacky.

At what point do we all concede that this is just a massive failure? I feel like we all just keep saying "This isn't the final product" or "We need to wait till it is finished". But with every new addition in only confirms that they cut lots of corners resulting in a very cheap design. Do we even have the waterfall of death?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

At what point do we all concede that this is just a massive failure? I feel like we all just keep saying "This isn't the final product" or "We need to wait till it is finished". But with every new addition in only confirms that they cut lots of corners resulting in a very cheap design. Do we even have the waterfall of death?

The waterfall of death was going to be on Kelty's building on Division. The Westin still has it's water feature, though.

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I'm not proclaiming that I even come close to being in love with any aspect of this building, except perhaps it's height, and that it overlooks my "beloved" train tracks ─ that's the nominal gist of it.  But I also think many of us are predicating the success or failure on a project, subjected to our own assessments, as if we have maintained unofficially a generic development control policy.  Indeed, we rarely are in consensus, and while I often tend to silently evaluate a design, admittedly much if not most is based on personal appeal.  What may be a neolithic-revival shrine to a developer or to an audience may be purely tacky in my own perception me, while my own tastes also rarely are objectively praised, nor do they have a "right" to be.

Just saying...

• Like 2

last night i was at the 1212 condos in the gulch and as i was leaving i looked at the westin and something about the way it is lit at night makes it appear to have a jagged facade or something. it was a weird optical illusion, can't really explain it rather than looking like a smooth, flat surface of windows it looked like they jutted out and was very cubist. anyone else know what i'm saying or trying to say? i can't put it into words but it actually looked kind of neat. i'm by no means a fan of this building either, actually i think it turned out pretty bad. once the urban fabric around it is built up i'm hoping it won't look so awkward 

2 hours ago, rookzie said:

I'm not proclaiming that I even come close to being in love with any aspect of this building, except perhaps it's height, and that it overlooks my "beloved" train tracks ─ that's the nominal gist of it.  But I also think many of us are predicating the success or failure on a project, subjected to our own assessments, as if we have maintained unofficially a generic development control policy.  Indeed, we rarely are in consensus, and while I often tend to silently evaluate a design, admittedly much if not most is based on personal appeal.  What may be a neolithic-revival shrine to a developer or to an audience may be purely tacky in my own perception me, while my own tastes also rarely are objectively praised, nor do they have a "right" to be.

Just saying...

Those are very wise words, and I do enjoy anytime you decide to bless us with your input.  I totally understand what you're saying, and in most cases, I'd agree completely with you.  However, in this case, I think more than anything most people are just confused about why they'd drop $100 million on a hotel but then not spend the extra (relative) pennies to tint the windows.  It's not really a design issue more than it is an issue of practicality.  

• Like 2