The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

God, WHAT is up with the lighting scheme.  That criss-cross lighting scheme, though nothing all that exciting, was supposed to be the one thing that set this building apart design wise, and you can't even see them at all unless it's from a distance and you're squinting, and even then it's difficult to make out the pattern.  So ridiculous.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

David Mexico Design Group (New York City), and the sampling of their work via their website is nothing impressive.  It just looks like they try to be daringly trendy, but it turns out so tasteless.  I'll bet they'll never use an actual photograph of the Nashville Westin for their website...  http://davidmexico.com/our-work/hotel-hospitality/ 

Edited by MLBrumby

What gets me is that just to the left of the middle facing the MCC (just to the left of the lit hallway), 3 or 4 rows of windows are actually just covering up the elevator "core"...meaning there are no rooms there on the east side.  So...the lighting is probably there to cover up the fact that none of those windows are lit up at night from the inside...which would be very weird looking at night.  It's almost like the designers realized this too late...and so they came up with the lighting "scheme" to fix that problem.

You've got $100M to spend and a huge piece of land...so you can design just about anything...and you end up designing a building where a HUGE strip of windows are covering nothing put concrete.  Smart.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

What gets me is that just to the left of the middle facing the MCC (just to the left of the lit hallway), 3 or 4 rows of windows are actually just covering up the elevator "core"...meaning there are no rooms there on the east side.  So...the lighting is probably there to cover up the fact that none of those windows are lit up at night from the inside...which would be very weird looking at night.  It's almost like the designers realized this too late...and so they came up with the lighting "scheme" to fix that problem.

You've got $100M to spend and a huge piece of land...so you can design just about anything...and you end up designing a building where a HUGE strip of windows are covering nothing put concrete.  Smart.

And it still doesn't explain the random pieces of blue glass on the other side facing the Gulch that don't match anything else. 

What compounds the mistakes made in design is its location.  It is all by itself, at least for the time being. There is NOTHING for it to blend in with at the moment.  Hopefully when JWM comes along, that additional presence will make it feel less conspicuous.  In that way it reminds me, in a less extreme way, of Kaden Tower in Louisville......hideous and all alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaden_Tower

• Like 1

Had an old family friend in town for a convention that put people up at the Westin, the Thompson, and the Sheraton. In conversation, at least 7 people requested transfers to other hotels out of our dear Westin. 

Doing a drive about last night, I joked the people leaving the Westin might have wanted more privacy due to our ongoing joke with the windows. We drove by with clear-as-glass views into the first 5-6 floors. Could see what channel people were watching on the first floor of rooms.

It sounds, however, that more issues than just the glass are at bay. Perhaps it's just because they've been open 2 weeks, but who knows.

• Like 1

It takes new hotels a bit of time to catch the wind in their sails. I'm sure this hotel will be up-to-par (service-wise) in the next few months. They have an experienced GM who can lead them to success. The only thing that might be working against them is the Marriott/Starwood buyout. I'm sure the old guard at starwood currently have their hands tied and the hotel might not be receiving the same level of support as it would have just a few months ago. 

6 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

From one of the balconies at the Omni:

RLT452RQSh-xeAXaJIUP25bMhtH2NMnc4z78n9GJ9xDyScOO38pa1SfOP25r7SxORYL_IrKkfX0=w1248-h832-no

I really like this pic and would love to see a similar shot from 10 years ago.  I just wish there was something nicer in the roundabout instead of those stupid sticks.  And how did that truck end up on the roof of the MCC?

• Like 1